Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should I change my driver shaft?

Go down 
+6
S70B
G_Man
solarpop
Technospaz
jaketang
who8168
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

Should I change my driver shaft? Empty
PostSubject: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 pm

Need advice on whether i should change the shaft for my driver, based on the following driver and swing information (from the den's launch monitor) ~

Swing speed ~ 95 - 98 mph
Launch angle ~ 12 - 14 deg
Spin rate ~ 2500 - 3000 rpm
Distance ~ 210 - 220 m
Current driver loft ~ 9 deg (FT-i)
Current shaft flex ~ X (based on Eric's freq meter, even though the shaft is printed S. I trust his machine more)
Shaft weight ~ 59 gm

During my last game on my home course, i was hitting my friend's 909D2 (loft 9.5 deg, Stiff, 65 gm) for around 9 holes & to my surprise i managed to drive between 230 to 250 m (no wind or slope factors) for most drives. Thus it left me wondering if i should get a heavier shaft, or more loft, or more flex (S instead of X).

A friend just gave me a 10 deg driver (Hyper X) with R flex. Was also toying with the idea to put in a heavier shaft (65 gm, Stiff) to this driver instead, cos i really like the sound of the impact of this driver.

Appreciate any suggestions or comments. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:20 pm

wow.... i think only those better players n pro's can advise you.... fast swing speed n >230m drive.... good!!

ask eric...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:20 pm

My swing stats are similar not to yours. Eric reviewed it and recommended a change to a heavier shaft. I'm now using the Graman #5 stiff 65g shaft which I love. It gives me the confidence to really hit the ball hard (though my accuracy needs a lot of work).

If you're considering a shaft-change, I would recommend a visit to see Eric or any club fitter. It helps to have someone review your swing and offer you some recommendations. Trying to analyze this on your own is tricky if you're not familiar with the technology and art.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Technospaz wrote:
My swing stats are similar not to yours. Eric reviewed it and recommended a change to a heavier shaft. I'm now using the Graman #5 stiff 65g shaft which I love. It gives me the confidence to really hit the ball hard (though my accuracy needs a lot of work).

If you're considering a shaft-change, I would recommend a visit to see Eric or any club fitter. It helps to have someone review your swing and offer you some recommendations. Trying to analyze this on your own is tricky if you're not familiar with the technology and art.

I definitely need to see Eric about this soon. Just thought i'll gather more info here from experts.

The Graman #5 you are using has quite a low torque of about 2.5 deg. Was also considering this shaft, but a little concern with the low torque. Does it feel harsh or boardy to you? After playing so many years, i am still wondering if the torque will really affect my ball flight, or merely just feeling or feedback in my hands?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm

who8168 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

I definitely need to see Eric about this soon. Just thought i'll gather more info here from experts.

The Graman #5 you are using has quite a low torque of about 2.5 deg. Was also considering this shaft, but a little concern with the low torque. Does it feel harsh or boardy to you? After playing so many years, i am still wondering if the torque will really affect my ball flight, or merely just feeling or feedback in my hands?

I admit that it felt a little harsh at first but I got used to it. I think it was more the transition from my stock Burner shaft which was whippy at best.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I admit that it felt a little harsh at first but I got used to it. I think it was more the transition from my stock Burner shaft which was whippy at best.

Thanks for the feedback bro. Think i'll start another thread on Torque......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:13 pm

who8168 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Thanks for the feedback bro. Think i'll start another thread on Torque......

Anyway, I'm paying Eric a visit later to have him swap the shafts of my driver. If you are free, come by the Den and you can check it out.
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Anyway, I'm paying Eric a visit later to have him swap the shafts of my driver. If you are free, come by the Den and you can check it out.

Will drop by if i can squeeze out some time.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm no expert but if i don't remember wrongly, for a launch angle of 13*, spin rate should be around 3400 mark. Maybe can try higher loft to increase spin?

If you tried your friend's driver and it's performing so well.. just buy that one lah simple solution lol
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Haha... tried that. My friend said i can hv the club as long as the price is right, & i saw S-11 in his eyes when he said that.... pirat
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Don't have to buy his.. just go to the shop and get one. Or buy from ebay if you wanna save money
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Actually i don't like the sound of the 909D2 also. Thus thinking about changing shaft to my existing drivers. & if i can do the fitting at a proper fitter, like at Big Fish, then i am sure i can really maximize my potential.

Last edited by who8168 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 pm

solarpop wrote:
I'm no expert but if i don't remember wrongly, for a launch angle of 13*, spin rate should be around 3400 mark. Maybe can try higher loft to increase spin?

If you tried your friend's driver and it's performing so well.. just buy that one lah simple solution lol

Err... I always thought a lower spin rate on a driver was better? Sub 3000 being an ideal level?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Dropped by the Den and met some folks (LS and 4dtoto, in addition to the illustrious S70B (again)). Thanks to Ultraman and Jeff for helping with the shaft-swap. My driver feels rock solid now. Will go test drive the baby soon. Appreciate the help, and to Eric too for the time and suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Eh Techno,

For someone who has the all time high record postings, you are damn shy in actual person lor. Laughing

Next time sit down and chat w us la, we promise we wun bite. It doesn't take too much to get to know those that hang there and eventually, get more golf kakis. Wink
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:26 pm

S70B wrote:
Eh Techno,

For someone who has the all time high record postings, you are damn shy in actual person lor. Laughing

Next time sit down and chat w us la, we promise we wun bite. It doesn't take too much to get to know those that hang there and eventually, get more golf kakis. Wink

Haha. Around celebrities like yourself, I'm a shy boy. I get intimidated Smile Seriously, I apologize. Should've spent more time chatting with you all. I was in my own little world today... and had to rush off. Next time, I'll tcss with you guys.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:34 pm

G_Man wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Err... I always thought a lower spin rate on a driver was better? Sub 3000 being an ideal level?

Hmm.. Spin rate should co-relate to launch angle and ball speed mah.. doesn't make sense that sub 3000 across the board would be ideal.. at least not to me. Like i said, i'm no expert..

Someone wiser pls confirm?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm

12.5-13 deg launch, 2500rpm. I always try to achieve that for the driver.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Lemme readdress myself on my previous post:

I have tried out on an LM in US that the optimal distance for me is to get those numbers as above. Most of the time when I can hit a driver straight with a 15deg launch angle, I would find that the rpm on it is ard 3000-3200rpm which causes me to lose out on roll. Likewise, when i tried something to lower the spin rate, the launch angle will also be too low traj. Very difficult to find a shaft that suits a certain individual.

Solarpop is right in that ball speed has a co-relation to the launch angle and spin rate suitable for every golfer. I guess that if you have a slower swing and ball speed, then, you will benefit with a higher launch and higher spin. A faster and stronger player will benefit from a lower launch and lower spin.

This article will interest the engineers in us:

Launch Monitors and Optimnal Flight
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying.. otherwise next thing you know, everyone's gonna try to achieve those numbers not realizing they don't have your 180mph ball speed Shocked
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm

And something from Titleist:

FittingWorks Driver fitting

Just remember guys, when u think you are not 'strong' enuff and play a lighter shaft than you can handle, you will also add backspin to your drives.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Backspin to drives? How is that possible, Rex?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Every shot you hit will have backspin. Thats how your ball flies 'up'. Its excess backspin that you see for shots that spin back on greens.

The trick is to have the optimal spin for you to maximise your hits. Not too high so that you lose out on roll and not too low so that your launch is not optimised.

I have always been a high spin player. Thats why I use heavier shafts. Its not because I swing like a gorilla. Many are surprised my swing dun look like I try to kill the ball at all despite the X flexes.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:15 pm

You can also have forward spin.. that's when you screw up your shot totally and the ball comes up to about eye level and accelerates downwards very quickly. Total distance maybe 70m. I've done that a couple of times lol
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Hopefully i not off topic on this one.

I was watching tiger play over the weekend and i realise that his driver has alot of spin and so very little roll but his fairway woods get alot of roll. Anybody can advise?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I change my driver shaft?   Should I change my driver shaft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I change my driver shaft?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next