Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?

Go down 
+3
jtek
TourSwing
bogeyman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? Empty
PostSubject: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Guys,

In need of some advice. Have been thinking for a while on whether to change the set of irons or simply do a re-shaft?

Current set: Nike VR Split Cavity on PX 5.5, have played them for abt 1 yr.
I play my 7I ard 145-148M (thereabouts under windless condition).

Reason for wanting to change: I still find them a bit too heavy for me (i'm not big size, hgt only ard 1.7m, slim build), and also I think I'm losing a bit of distance due to my ball flight tendency which is, I feel, might be a bit on the high side.

1. If its changing irons, would changing to a say, iron set with slightly lower loft, eg. 7I with 34" instead of my current 35" help to lower my flight and gain a couple of meters for me? Of cos, the irons would not be on PX 5.5 again as its still wat else...too heavy.

2. If its re-shafting the current heads, I hope to go onto smth lighter for me, say maybe NSPro or KBS shafts(think KBS C-Taper shafts not much diff in weight rite)? But I read that both of those shafts produces high ball flight which is going to decrease my distances further? Or will the lighter shafts enable me to produce a somewhat faster swing speed which should equate to longer distance instead? Not sure if its true.

Thou, I understand that the best way is still to go to a fitter to do a swing analysis, but i dun wanna waste pple's time unless I am sure I am gonna do the re-shafting.

Anyone has any comparison or advice for the lost one?

Much Appreciated fellows...Bogeyman

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:00 am

bogeyman wrote:

Current set: Nike VR Split Cavity on PX 5.5, have played them for abt 1 yr.
I play my 7I ard 145-148M (thereabouts under windless condition).

Reason for wanting to change: I still find them a bit too heavy for me (i'm not big size, hgt only ard 1.7m, slim build), and also I think I'm losing a bit of distance due to my ball flight tendency which is, I feel, might be a bit on the high side.

You already seem to hit the ball far enough ... if I were you, I would concentrate more on a penetrating ball flight and tight dispersion. A high ball is great (Jack Nicklaus, Rory), so long as the wind isn't taking complete hold of your ball. Oh , & I would definitely go see a clubfitter!
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 am

Bro I use to have these problem of high trajectory on all my club. Then did wat u said... keep changing irons... some help a little but still high...

Then I decided to work on my swing (by myself as I do not have time for lesson to re-tune my swing)... with the help of YOUTUBE... Smile

Finally, found a iron which helps a little plus my swing improved a little bit, my trajectory is now more acceptable by my on sight... Although distance still not as long as yours...

Like most will say, if high trajectory is ur concern, most likely take a look at ur swing is a much better option...

For weight, I got no comment...
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 am

Bro, perhaps you can try practising on a tour striker. It helps train you to hit down on the ball instead of scooping up the ball thus producing a more penetrating flight.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks guys, I guess there's a common ground here, that is, it's not gonna help even by changing irons, only the shafts and the way I swing which is more impt.

Guess I'll have to see a fitter for that matter then.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I think a club fitter is the best moved you can do

A good club fitter will know if your doing the swing right.
And he wouldn't recommend you to changed shaft or irons if your swing is still not A-okay.

In my country, I saw once, our club fitter denied the newbie liked swing to buy or purchased new iron shaft

They told him to look for a Good Golf coach instead

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I changed from NS Pro SR to PX 5.0 HL / Flighted, and I noticed improvements Smile I found that I could hit the ball higher and longer. Dispersion was a bit better too.

Or perhaps I was just having a couple of good days.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:41 pm

HyBriD wrote:

In my country, I saw once, our club fitter denied the newbie liked swing to buy or purchased new iron shaft

They told him to look for a Good Golf coach instead

"Ouch" must have done wonders to the poor guy's ego...
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 pm

@TS: actually I got to try both Nspro R and Nspro S yest at the range. To my surprise, the ball flight for Nspro R was actually lower than my own PX 5.5 shaft. Thou the iron head was diff, it was a TM MC, but I felt that I was able to control my swing rhythm better as the Nspro shafts was much much lighter. I didn't have to rush my swing due to heaviness of the club.
Not too sure abt the distance thou as there wasn't way to measure that.

But 1 thing for sure, it really did felt shiok to play such a light club (me no strength lah).
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm

bogeyman wrote:
@TS: actually I got to try both Nspro R and Nspro S yest at the range. To my surprise, the ball flight for Nspro R was actually lower than my own PX 5.5 shaft. Thou the iron head was diff, it was a TM MC, but I felt that I was able to control my swing rhythm better as the Nspro shafts was much much lighter. I didn't have to rush my swing due to heaviness of the club.

But 1 thing for sure, it really did felt shiok to play such a light club (me no strength lah).

The ball flight could have been lower because of the kickpoint.

But I did realize that I get higher ball flight with the High Launch and Flighted shafts (hence the name) which I like. I used to hit my iron shots really low but with the new shafts, I get better trajectory.
Back to top Go down
Lisy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lisy

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:10 pm

bogeyman wrote:

You are not the only one that felt that way..

Actually.. some of my male friends who tried my ladies clubs can actually swing better and hit better than using their own clubs..

They were very surprised!! Smile Smile

Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:45 am

Aw man...all these is making me lagi more confused as I used to think that Nspro R is not for me as the ball flight will be even higher than PX shafts. Well, apparently I'm very wrong. I think it all boils down to your individual swing mechanics, thus the need for club fitters.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Hey Bogeyman,

Accdg. to my cousin is SoCaL....

Most Americans & European's prefer using True Temper or Px shaft because NS Pro flies higher

NS Pro are made for Asian men.

the question now is, what do you prefer?

Some liked a higher ball flight on their short irons...9, Pw to Sw
and medium flight on the Long & Mid irons

You can do that too.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?   Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dilemma: To change Irons or simply shafts?
Page 1 of 1