Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Change Of Grip

Go down 
+2
desyjean
damienwah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
damienwah
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi guys ... need help ..

I'm intending to change my grip for my NIKE putter with an original Nike grip .. does anyone know how much this would cost ? HELP
Back to top Go down
desyjean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm

damienwah wrote:
Hi guys ... need help ..

I'm intending to change my grip for my NIKE putter with an original Nike grip .. does anyone know how much this would cost ? HELP

Buy the grip and regrip it yourself. Cheap and good. All you need is a grip, double sided tape and Zippo fluid.
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Actually i was thinking of the same thing. But where do you buy original nike putter grip??
Back to top Go down
desyjean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm

I would think that you get the putter grip that suits you most and not by the brand itself. Putting stroke is too important and to get the correct feel you will need to be extremely comfortable with the grip and my take is that you find the most comfortable grip to suit you putt.

If you still need to have them on your putter here is a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-5-NIKE-CROSSLINE-PISTOL-PUTTER-GRIPS-by-LAMKIN_W0QQitemZ170456743401QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100312?IMSfp=TL100312162008r15092#ht_882wt_1167

or

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=lbgolf&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=282802760&Count2=199943184&ProductID=574&Target=products.asp
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Unless I have learnt how to do so properly, I wouldn't attempt to change any grip myself. It isn't about just stripping and then slipping on a new grip with just zippo fluid. What is critical is the alignment of your grip, which in turn affects the alignment of your club/ putter at address. There is also the issue of grip size and balance.

Analogous would be the changing of car tyres. After new tyres are slipped on, the wheels are balanced and alignment checked, or there will be performance issues.

Doing it myself may be cheap, but it may not necessarily be good. Since alignment is paramount in putting, the few dollars saved on installation isn't worth the risk in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Agree with you on this. We may see fitters changing it in front of us and it seems easy but it is not so. Fitting skills and knowledge comes greatly into play.
Best to get a pro to do it. The pro fitter can also diagnose and determine the 'best' grip for you.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm

sorry a little OT here but i'm just wondering, can the same be said for the grips for irons/drivers/woods? given that we already know how many wraps and size and we've already got the necessary tools of course. my friend regrips his own clubs and it turns out pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I am no expert but from what limited knowledge I have, it's a little more complicated for the other clubs cos of the variety of grips available. There are grips with reminder ribs running on the underside that fits into the groove formed by the first knuckles of both the left and right hands, and grips like the Golf Pride V-55 that have a visual grip aid (most grips do). All round grips, which is mostly what is in use these days, are probably the easiest to fit on yourself, but you still have to align the visual grip aid correctly, unless they do not have them.

And what is 'pretty well' is subjective too isn't it? What may be well to the untrained eye may not be so to a trained one. Or you could be talking about how he still hits it well after changing his own grips. Whichever the case, more power to your friend. Perhaps he may have learnt how to re-grip clubs via trail and error, or from a trained fitter. Either way, he does it well enough to suit his own needs.

There is nothing to say you can't do it on your own, there are plenty of hobbyists around who like to tinker and experiment with their own clubs (most start out by learning how to re-grip clubs). And essentially, that is how the entire club fitting industry started out. PING started out with engineer Karsten Solheim tinkering around in his garage in the search for a better putter. The sound his first putter made became the name of his company.

So unless one enjoys the experimentation and the learning process of trial and error, and wisely does so with old clubs rather than his prized possessions, I'd say skip the few dollars saved and leave it to prefessionals.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:44 pm

agree. Smile if my game's bad i don't want to have another thing to be angry at myself with. haha

btw my friend's just a really frugal guy that loves doing things on his own. that and he has a vice clamp. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:22 am

Not many have our own vice clamps, but I do have some vices that I need to clamp down on.

ROFL
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:27 am

Try checking around Far East Shopping Centre or Lukewa.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Change Of Grip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change Of Grip   Change Of Grip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Change Of Grip
Page 1 of 1