Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted Empty
PostSubject: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 pm

I was feeling elated but kinda wondering about that particular shot.

Was having a round of social golf with my friend just last week. I was at the 2nd hole where at the last shot, I did a chip with my 56 onto the Green. The ball tapped on the Green, rolled, snaked a little before finding the hole.

Now here's the somewhat tricky part.

1) My friend had not reached the hole yet and when I executed the chip, I was on the rough outside the green, so the flag wasn't pulled out from the hole.
2) The ball snaked and found the hole. It did not topple into the hole completely but it dropped halfway into the hole but because the flag shaft was there, the ball kinda 'rested' on it.

I swore if I'd pulled the flag from the hole, the ball would have dropped straight in (which it did anyway).

Under this circumstances, does this constitute a hole-in? Or what happened if I pulled the flag and the ball popped right outta the hole instead?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, when u remove the flag, make sure u take it out from the other side the ball is resting on.... Naturally the ball will not pop out

Just be smart.... The ball will not pop out if u handled the pin correctly

Congrats on your chip-in.....
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks!

My caddy cheered, my girlfriend whooped and I fist pumped that day (until the doubt sets in before you'd cleared my doubts).

I was seriously having doubts just before my game whether I'm really fit to play, how would the ball fly, would I simply just sky my first shot (after 4 months of not stepping on the green) and the whole world would laugh their intestines out?

I guess I'll be sticking to this for another few more years!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Congrats dude!

As advised by slinger who has vast experience in such chip ins, it is a hole in.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Tell u a story....

Many moons ago, had a high intense match with a keppel high hand, we were neck to neck till the 17th hole kanji par 3....

Hit a fade that landed on the rough, abt 20 ft to the pin, my opponent landed on the green 6 ft to the pin n looking for birdie...

Took my wedge n chip in for birdie in his face..... The look on his face was memorable, naturally he missed his birdie putt

Took his $20 with his autograph on it..... Kept those notes for many years until last month

Only return one of the 2 notes on his wedding.....

Mayb return the last note on his kid 1st month.... I sincerely hope he is working on it

Good kakis are hard to find these days.....

What a Face
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi guys,

Consider Rule 17.4:
Quote:
17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick

When a player's ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

That clearly only applies if the ball is not holed. See the definition of "holed":
Quote:
Holed
A ball is "holed" when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole.

Therefore:

f the whole ball is not below the level of the hole you can move or remove the flagstick and if the ball goes below the level of the hole and comes to rest it is deemed holed. But if the ball jumps out then it is deemed to have been moved and must be replaced on the lip and tapped in.

Hope that clears it up for you
Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 pm

The idea of the game is to put the ball into the hole. Does not matter how.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted   Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on a 'chip in' and whether its really counted
Page 1 of 1