Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons

Go down 
+95
shimizu.toruk
snagy23
ping golfer
swordwind
essentiale
Gofnut
kwannick
bogeyman72
diveheck
DiVoTion
ahhoe
bryanachong
willie24
imrog
golfzilla
guangzhao
jhan18
albhedrin
okb
kyleyann
whistler
paul@golf
odyssey23
jinglejangle
acidic88
WILL33
kevinhwc
Bear
Tokkokking
adenn20
davechew8381
doink24
botak
Begbie
Sayhun
maslie
BabyCroc
Yarra
ralliartlancer
sob
timang84
bigbanana14
enwee
aquaman
jtek
duffader
nrafee
haragolfer
pippin
crayon33
samT
Ssquirrel
blong
jurongtiger
Cyrano
4dtoto
jeffman88
benedictteo83
angeldogleslie
limkh927
nicasio
frosTEE
asahi
mengteck71
den
Najibapark
Paulgadene
ahnah
TigaWood
Duval_S
beehome
S70B
i
DRGjr72
eiji
jaketang
zhenxua
Derek
Gray
BigblackGoof
audi
pocketace
drawbias
skybobo
slinger
blee67
nientsu
Technospaz
shorthitter
golf_snowman
Turbo
DGman
Christo72
pushslice
grooveballer
99 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons Empty
PostSubject: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 am

Hello GRians

After using the Big Fish CB003 irons since late October last year, I thought it would be timely to share some thoughts and comments about these sticks.

A little background - I've been using the Ikasus for almost two years and I thought those MBs were the best (maybe except the 5 and 6 irons). The ikasus were surprisingly not too difficult to hit and nothing feels better when the ball meets the sweet spot. I liked the narrow soles, the thin topline and smallish headsize. Paired with the steelfibre, they were really, really nice to play. However, the Ikasus were not conforming and every shot off the short irons from 8 to PW left with me hairy golf balls. They were real shredders. Finally, I'm not a great player, but good enough to enjoy the game.

When DGman introduced me to the prototype of the CB003, I was already interested as (i) two years is a long time with the Ikasus; (ii) I wanted a set with easier launching 5 & 6 irons; (iii) I hate hairy balls; (iv) DGman's previous custom iron set was rather good; and (v) my backside was seriously itchy. The CB003 was slightly larger than the Ikasus, but not overly so like the TM Burners or Ping Gs (no offence to those guys), offered only a very slight offset (which was important to me), and the usual thinnish topline and not-too-wide soles (as I don't usually sweep the ball, but do compress it a little with the irons).

So a new commitment was made, with the CB003 fitted with the steelfibre i80.

A shot of the irons at BFG on collection day:
Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons Bfgirons4

Now after range sessions and on-course time, I have not regretted my commitment and actually thought of getting an extra set of heads to keep! These are that good!

Firstly, these irons offer fantastic feel without the microscopic sweetspot of the Ikasus. Sure, you can't compare a CB with an MB, but for the price the BGF irons are real winners. Excellent feel.

Secondly, the irons are very nicely balanced and a joy to swing. I've swung some real broomsticks and these match the best ones out in the market. This is a true testament to both the design prowess, quality control and clubfitting skills of DGman and his team.

Thirdly, the mid-irons are launching like satellites into orbit! Ok, not that high. But definitely a nice height and I usually don't get a high ball flight. So the ease and flight of the 5 & 6 were very pleasing to me. The short irons are sharp, without shredding - important quality.

Plus the irons are very unique and limited in the market and is also customisable are just added bonuses.

A shot on the course:
Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons Bfg003

So have my game improved? My scores are heavily dependent on my driving and the chunking percentage of my wedges for the day. Occasionally also my Zen putter goes zonk. But that's really me and the state of my concentration during the round. As for the irons, I have no complaints at all!

A big thanks to DGman and all at Big Fish!

Last edited by grooveballer on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am

Thought I start a thread for BFG CB003 Irons owner (or non-owners) to post their questions, thoughts, experiences and feedback (positive or not so positive) on this irons set. I think it's important for Eric to receive honest feedback so he can improve his products.

Let me start off the discussions:

My set comes 5-PW with Aerotech Player's Spec i99 Regular Flex. Lie is flat (60 deg on 6iron) and standard length.

I actually bought Eric's personal back up set. Borrowed/Played it for 3 rounds before deciding that I will not be returning them. This is why.

1. The irons are soft. Comparable to even the miuras I've tried.
2. They are very easy to hit. Especially the 5-6 irons where I was struggling a little bit with my existing players irons.
3. They seem to lower my ball flight. Yet, I still can launch it higher if I want to just by placing the ball in a more forward position
4. I produce nice draws with them after pairing with i99. I tested a PX 5.0 Satin and got pushes and weak slices. Get a shaft that suits us is important.
5. I am longer by half a club to one club. Strong lofts and fitted shaft makes all the difference. There used to be a big gap between my 4hybrid and my 5 irons. Now, my gaps are pretty consistent.
6. My divots are shallower, they seem.
7. I have an itchy backside

and this is what i hope Eric would improve next:

1. The short irons blade size is too big to my eyes. The 5-7 iron shape is perfect, with just enough offset, thin top line and mid size blade length. But the 9i and PW looks huge to me. Maybe I am used to the current gamers; Cobra MB and Ping i15 which has relatively compact short iron size. I play it because the proof is in the pudding.

2. Provide option for a 4 iron. I know I dont use one, but if the BFG 5i is that easy to hit, maybe I can hit the 4 iron too Laughing Further, $1188 for 4-PW forged irons with custom fitting is a great deal. Given that BFG is an upstart brand in the industry.

Overall, my perception is that Big Fish position this irons for high handicappers who want to have a club that is friendly yet doesn't look like a shovel, and for mid handicappers who want a soft forged heads that allows workability and forgiveness.

All that with the assurance of custom fitting.

Question for Eric:

1. What was the thoughts behind designing it as Fade Bias? Does it matter for most golfers?
2. What was the thoughts behind designing it as Flatter lie angle. Avg irons 6i lie is 61 degree or more.
3. What are your plans as to strengthening brand strength? Clubs value in second hand market does play a role in golfers decision tree and it would be a factor some folks consider before buying a set from the non-big brands.

Cheers..and thank you for selling me your set. It has put the Cobra to the bench Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am

Mods..., pls combine this post to Grooveballer's

thank you!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am

hello bro grooveballer

i posted a review and if you dont mind, would like to ask the mods to combine here so we have a thread.

I'm surprised that we come to same conclusion. that the 5i and 6i are just a joy to hit.
Back to top Go down
Christo72
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

pushslice wrote:
hello bro grooveballer

i posted a review and if you dont mind, would like to ask the mods to combine here so we have a thread.

I'm surprised that we come to same conclusion. that the 5i and 6i are just a joy to hit.

Use to fear using the 5i and 6i. Not any more!!!
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:21 am

pushslice wrote:
hello bro grooveballer

sure, please go ahead!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:11 am

just to answer some of your question PS...

1. What was the thoughts behind designing it as Fade Bias? Does it matter for most golfers?

the industry standard today is producing irons that are draw bias. take a look at the sole design of the BFG and the other brand and you will know why.

it makes shot making easier with a neutral to fade bias design. we have inputs from different people before this went into production. one of the best advice came from MM who constantly said, it will be good to make the head slighter bigger instead of smaller to make life easier. needless to say we went the extra mile and make the CG even lower. thats why the BFG irons in its unshafted form will sit balance from 3 iron to PW.

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6873553724_b176c6886f_z

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6873571874_34bcf5b168_z

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6873571940_fdd27b6bfe_z

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6873571756_14755c5084_z

2. What was the thoughts behind designing it as Flatter lie angle. Avg irons 6i lie is 61 degree or more.

there is no bias behind flatter lie. it depends on the swing type and what the coaches are working with their students. there are some swing that requires getting the student to take away more on the inside hence a flatter lie and if the swing type requires more upright path, then a more upright lie is needed. we have the BFG iron (#7) bent to 55 degrees for junior and over 64 degrees, so far it has been very easy to do so either way. thats why we prefer to produce them nearer to the average lie to start with.

3. What are your plans as to strengthening brand strength? Clubs value in second hand market does play a role in golfers decision tree and it would be a factor some folks consider before buying a set from the non-big brands.

it will be very tough with our limited budget and distribution network to try and conquer the world. when we have met our local demand and that of our partner, i am sure we will be ready to introduce them to golfers around the world. its like the BFG iron covers, we start out small, is still small but there are already international demands that we sometimes find it difficult to fulfil. we are a very small company and i am personally not so ambitious. its like i rather own a small eatery and cater to our customers instead of trying to create a chain.

like i have always said, the proof is in the pudding. thats why we rather build a demo specifically for a customer to try out for weeks and let him or her come back and tell us the difference if he wants to commission a set.

as for professionals, we have several professionals using them and ever since we have confirmation from R&A that they conform to the Rules of Golf, we have more calling. now our young Atiwit wants to be the first Thai professional to use them after trying them out in Chiang Mai.

as for going places, we certainly did. one of our customer who is Shorthitter's student and friend has gone to play at the home of US Open, Augusta. his choice of irons - BFG with Steelfiber i80S, and he has 2 sets of the same specs.

commercial break.

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6280518306_a2bce2923f_z

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons 6259433399_0118859a83_z

and the BFG irons are available from 3 iron to PW. the wedges are on its way but it will take some time to iron out the prototypes given whats available out there right now.

photos courtesy of Ron and Dan who are both gaming the irons.

last thing that is very important. for the CB003 we have 2 versions of head - CB003 and CB003J, one is the same as the industry standard in terms of head weight and the other is 10 grams lighter. the reason is because it makes it easier to built clubs on MOI matching rather than to be swing weight biased. it is also great for ladies and juniors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

These irons look pleasing to the eyes, simple & neat ... Hmmm ... The appearance seems to be in a similar platform as Miura ...
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

how nice if there is a BFG combo set..from CB to MB....it will sure look very very chio !!!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I have been using the "Fish Sticks" for quite some time now.

I switched from Cobra and was hitting the new clubs 2 clublengths further, I had to go back on the Trackman and re recalibrate my yardage.

I actually like the larger PW size head, it inspires so much confidence that you can just aim and swing.

I have the KBS C taper shafts in them, the combination is pure.

They work on the World Classic too..... Very Happy

Yesterday I played with two Handa entrants and whupped them both... but i cannot get a start.. Sad

There is no issue with shaping the ball, high low, what ever you want it to do is easy, plus did i mention they go long.....

I have students on the waiting list...

Great clubs great support Thanks. Beer

Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Need to sample those bad boys again. They were sweet the last time I tried them at the Den.

Boss... got a 6i to spare? Wink
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm

shorthitter wrote:
I have been using the "Fish Sticks" for quite some time now.

I switched from Cobra and was hitting the new clubs 2 clublengths further, I had to go back on the Trackman and re recalibrate my yardage.

I actually like the larger PW size head, it inspires so much confidence that you can just aim and swing.

I have the KBS C taper shafts in them, the combination is pure.

They work on the World Classic too..... Very Happy

Yesterday I played with two Handa entrants and whupped them both... but i cannot get a start.. Sad

There is no issue with shaping the ball, high low, what ever you want it to do is easy, plus did i mention they go long.....

I have students on the waiting list...

Great clubs great support Thanks. Beer

I tried SH's 6-i. it went further than my own irons!!!! Placed the iron back in the bag and never want to go near this poisonous stuff again.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Was it fitted with the aerotech shaft too?
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

If i rem correctly, SH ones were fitted with the aerotech shafts the last time i tried it. Must have changed it to the C-taper not too long ago.

Bro, it you want the the Aero Techs. How about taking Vinny's irons? 1k for miura giekn forged with aerotechs is not a bad deal. You prob can trade the iron heads in.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

nientsu wrote:
If i rem correctly, SH ones were fitted with the aerotech shafts the last time i tried it. Must have changed it to the C-taper not too long ago.

Bro, it you want the the Aero Techs. How about taking Vinny's irons? 1k for miura giekn forged with aerotechs is not a bad deal. You prob can trade the iron heads in.

Why is Vinny selling his stuff ah? He's sponsored by TM now ah?
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Technospaz wrote:
nientsu wrote:

He is part of the take over team for TM on another model... What a Face
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:34 pm

blee wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
nientsu wrote:

He is part of the take over team for TM on another model... What a Face

blee, ditched your iron set lah...

i sell u my bfg irons.....

8 pars per round in occ shd not be a problem.....

Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Slinger, it is not the pars but the blow holes la... Sad
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm

blee wrote:

pls dun try your buaya-management-status in this thread......
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 2:46 pm

slinger wrote:
blee wrote:

pls dun try your buaya-management-status in this thread......

Harlow, your blown holes and mine different hor.. you regulation on all the time whereas I scramble hor... What a Face
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Was at BFG last Thu and done the following:

1. Fitted BFG irons with i70 steelfiber a flex (bo bian swing speed too slow)
2. Fitted Zen Zim
3. Fitted a Bassara UL W-Series 53 on my Adams Speedline Ultralite head

Collected on Fri
Bring it out on course on Sat

1st nine not worth mentioning
2nd nine started with 5 GIR (all on with BFG irons)....ended up with 5 pars.
The remaining holes are mostly bogeys, signed off with a 41

Review on the above 3
1. The BFG irons have restored my confidence in my approach shot
2. All I can say is I have not 3 putted but I need sometime to get used to new putting method
3. Once connected, I managed to reach certain areas in the fairway which I have never reached before

Thanks DGman.
Can u do something to my 3w, 5w, 4h and wedges????
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 am

Dear Skybobo....play with current set for 2 to 3 more games....when the 3 new WMD are grooved in, lets see what are the distance makers that you might need.

no need to get fixated on specific right now.

thank you guys for your feedback and i am looking forward to more...thanks

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am

wah skybobo ..... no wonder poersia cant stop praising your performance with new toys after last sat game ...... from his & your FR above ..... please be generous in allocating more strokes to me ok ..... White Flag
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 am

skybobo
I heard now your driver 230-240m liao... why you need to hit fw? no need to fit liao loh...

just play driver and irons...
cheers

aren't you glad that I shared my poison with you?? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

Shawn, u monster drive still need me to give strokes meh?
Pocketace, there are par 4 in kranji which > 400m
And it is not everytime u will connect the sweet spot with ur driver lah

Btw why u sell 5w? So new....just 1 round only u Xian liao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons   Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reviews: BFG CB003 Forged Irons
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next