Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommendations for Irons For Beginners

Go down 
+17
Dan5
HyBriD
ahnah
mygolfsucks
Derek
Bear
slyster
Newtogolf
scottycollector
kevinhwc
drawbias
Joshtay
benedictteo83
nrafee
BabyCroc
Elwq87
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Elwq87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Hey guys, anyone have any good recommendation for a set of irons for beginners. I am currently considering either R11 or Burner 2.0. Please advise which is better or is there other irons i should consider..

Thanks alot
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Don't know about r11 but burner 2.0 is easy to hit.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:08 pm

if betw your 2 choices, probably Burner might be easier to launch. My suggestion is to go to the various demos and try out the diff clubs thats available to get a proper feel of which you might be more comfortable with. Lotsa game improvement irons available from all the brands.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi elwq87,
Given that you have already short listed the 2, I would recommend burner 2.0.
1) price -
2) cavity back with larger club face
Back to top Go down
benedictteo83
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
benedictteo83

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down
Joshtay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Joshtay

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Burner Plus? Instead of Burner 2.0? At least its cheaper. I think either $329 or $379 at GD. Can't remember. or Adams one of the OS?
Back to top Go down
drawbias
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
drawbias

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Try BFG Proto 3 irons ....
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

The burner series is easier to launch than the R series....

I tried the burner 1.0 and R9, but prefer the looks of R9 so in the end got the R9....

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 pm

between r11 and burner 2.0, definitely the burner for beginners

u also need to think of what shaft - steel or graphite. best way is to go try out. u can go to Golf house at either Paragon, Marina Square or Suntec. They've got an indoor driving range where u can hit some balls. The one at Paragon is especially good.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:34 pm

I guess it depends on u.

A lot of my friends had advised me to look at Titleist, Callaway or TalyorMade. The more traditional brands...

I ended up with a bag of 14 swooshes instead... To the horror of my other kakis. But after a year of training when I finally started my true journey on a standard 18 hole Green with traps galore, I was able to launch some of my shots as far, if not further than my other 20 handicapper kakis.

Then again, they may be just fooling around that day whilst I'm giving it my 150% effort.

But knowing their personalities inside-out, I have my doubts on them fooling around on the course.....

My point eventually:
- Get what you like
- Train hard
- Read hard

And most importantly... LOVE THE GAME

That's what I think.
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
I guess it depends on u.

A lot of my friends had advised me to look at Titleist, Callaway or TalyorMade. The more traditional brands...

I ended up with a bag of 14 swooshes instead... To the horror of my other kakis. But after a year of training when I finally started my true journey on a standard 18 hole Green with traps galore, I was able to launch some of my shots as far, if not further than my other 20 handicapper kakis.

Then again, they may be just fooling around that day whilst I'm giving it my 150% effort.

But knowing their personalities inside-out, I have my doubts on them fooling around on the course.....

My point eventually:
- Get what you like
- Train hard
- Read hard

And most importantly... LOVE THE GAME

That's what I think.

Agree... cheers Otherwise, later backside itchy wanna change again....
Back to top Go down
slyster
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
slyster

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 pm

I'll recommend an iron hybrid set for beginners (speaking from experience). The hybrid replaces all the long irons (5 iron and above). Check out the Adams golf set which are available at GH. I agree with the earlier posting that you can try and demo some of the sets at GH Paragon which has an indoor simulator (unlike other outlets where you hit at the nets).
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 pm

kevinhwc wrote:

Yah.... Can see u already got a bag full of TMs. Shouldn't think very far, just get TM wedges. Taylormade
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
kevinhwc wrote:

Yah.... Can see u already got a bag full of TMs. Shouldn't think very far, just get TM wedges. Taylormade

I already backside itchy, got a set of AP2....... hahaha....i must resists the poisons.....
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Elwq87 wrote:
Hey guys, anyone have any good recommendation for a set of irons for beginners. I am currently considering either R11 or Burner 2.0. Please advise which is better or is there other irons i should consider..

Thanks alot

Bro,

Just an advice, if budget permits, go for forged.... it really feels different... when I started my 2nd lesson, cannot tahan, die die want to get a set, but budget constraints so get a R9 irons (no other clubs... these are build ups..)

Then, during one of the lessons, my coach got me a forged iron to try on.. man, it really feels different... which lead me to search for forged....

Other clubs like woods, drivers and putter can wait for a while (while you are working on your irons, unless you have the budget)....
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 pm

kevinhwc wrote:
I already backside itchy, got a set of AP2....... hahaha....i must resists the poisons.....
Laughing

I think impt thing is to like the feel and u're happy with it when u swing. Quite important for wedges. These are the most important clubs in your bag. Choose it well, choose it slow. cheers
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 am

to be honest, if anyone has the luxury of both time and money, go for the best irons there is...hehehehhe Very Happy

if not, clubs in the GIC category can last you at least 2-3 years, then you would have a consistent swing to move on to players clubs.

or u may get players clubs now, but you really have to work hard on learning your swing (rewards may be greater i heard but the barriers of the learning curve along the way may be threatening for you to give up golf altogether - urban legend?).....

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 am

Elwq87 wrote:

Thanks alot

Hi Elwq87,

May I ask if this is the first iron set you are buying? If it is, perhaps it is wise not to spend too much money. The majority of beginner golfers will end up changing their first iron set as they improve in the game and their swing gets faster and more repeatable.

Assuming value is a consideration, the older series TM burner can be obtained for a steal nowadays. Older models of irons from other manufacturers can also be obtained for much less than the newer models. Also, there are always decent 2nd hand iron sets around.

As for game improvement vs players irons, general consensus is to start with game improvement irons. Forgiving clubs help you launch the ball and make the game more playable, even on mishits, and trust me, there will ALWAYS be mishits, they just get less as you get better.

While there are golfers who start with blades and then train religiously to learn how to strike them, the majority of modern golfers start with forgiving clubs with some choosing to move on to so-called less forgiving clubs as they improve. The latter approach gives you time to grow into the game and enjoy the process.

Also, my personal opinion is that for most beginners, the 3 and 4 iron (and possibly the 5 iron) are a complete waste of space in the bag. A forgiving hybrid in the 22deg to 26deg range is often a beginners best friend, I know it was mine when I started. 2nd hand hybrids or unused older models are also easily available.

What I have touched on is the logical, practical approach. However, golf equipment is to Man what handbags and shoes are to Woman. While I would advise not giving in to this impulse until your 2nd set of irons, I know it is tough. If this is the case, just pick the set that you like and work hard on the range until you learn how to strike them well. (and remember to post your name under the Equipment Addicts Anonymous thread)

Beer

Back to top Go down
mygolfsucks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:11 am

IMO, get a game improvement irons with regular steel shaft. (if you're starting relatively young).

I feel one of the best clubs to start learning golf from would be Ping Irons. Its easy to hit and fun to play with. To master it is another thing altogether la. Important thing is to enjoy it, then only will you be motivated to range more often.

GIC clubs can last you a long time... even when single handicapper. BUT, of course you would be poisoned long before that and eventually by the time you hit single handicap, you would have gone thru 8 sets of iron, 10 drivers, 5 putters .....
Back to top Go down
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 am

PING is nice !
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm

ahnah wrote:
PING is nice !

PING are nice irons only if you get the RIGHT fit.

What if you are a short guy and you get a Blue Dot fit?
You can't hit them quite well.

I think the best for a newbie is to get a Used Game Improvement irons

Many buy brand new set and end up Quitting Golf.

Its better to spend more when you have already polished your swing.
then get fitted.

A lot in my country get fitted....Buying KZG, PING, SMT & Wishon irons.
and end up regretting buying them.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
ahnah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ahnah

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 pm

HyBriD wrote:
ahnah wrote:
PING is nice !

PING are nice irons only if you get the RIGHT fit.

What if you are a short guy and you get a Blue Dot fit?
You can't hit them quite well.

I think the best for a newbie is to get a Used Game Improvement irons

Many buy brand new set and end up Quitting Golf.

Its better to spend more when you have already polished your swing.
then get fitted.

A lot in my country get fitted....Buying KZG, PING, SMT & Wishon irons.
and end up regretting buying them.

so ISI is ok for short guy ?
Back to top Go down
Elwq87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks people for your advise, I think i will be getting the Burner 2.0.
One more thing, about the shaft is it okay if i get the Steel shaft? Or should i get NS PRO?

I am purchasing my irons via EBAY and they do not have the NS PRO shaft. So i am wondering if the steel shaft ; regular flex is suitable ...

Thanks again for your kind advice
Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Elwq87 wrote:
Thanks people for your advise, I think i will be getting the Burner 2.0.
One more thing, about the shaft is it okay if i get the Steel shaft? Or should i get NS PRO?

I am purchasing my irons via EBAY and they do not have the NS PRO shaft. So i am wondering if the steel shaft ; regular flex is suitable ...

Thanks again for your kind advice

Bro

Just an advise. If you are getting your irons on ebay global, you need to watch out, as what other bros have mentioned in other thread... if it's too good to be true, then it is likely not true.... just be careful... of course, there are genuine sellers out there...

For shaft, NS Pro is also a steel shaft... not sure what you are offered... when I started, I had the impression that steel is too heavy for me, so I opted for graphite, recently just changed to NS Pro 950... It's great!!! I think NS Pro is one of the lighter steel shaft...

Last edited by kevinhwc on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bear
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Getting through ebay?... U mean Golf Direct no longer has the burners 2.0 for a good price? Look around bro. i think there are some very good priced burner irons out there. Try creative joe, he may have some close to new clubs there...

For your question on shaft...it depends on your stamina and strength. if youre a big guy, true tempers steel would be no problem for you. ns pro are lighter. if im not wrong stiff DG300 weighs abt 110-120 grams? and stiff ns pro comes in at 95grams.....opps being too engrossed in technical detail...i shall stop....better let better players answer on this...

soo...as a newbie to another: if youre a big guy (or if can score ippt bronze), true tempers steel (regular or stiff) would be no problem for you. heheheee

Back to top Go down
http://www.website.co.jp
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations for Irons For Beginners    Recommendations for Irons For Beginners  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for Irons For Beginners
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next