Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drivers For Beginners

Go down 
+16
tankh76
peace2903
nyisoe
Najibapark
entity
copen123
TDO
angeldogleslie
renode
charlesho
iceballx
Tokkokking
scottycollector
asahi
enwee
Slaygay
20 posters
AuthorMessage
Slaygay
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Drivers For Beginners Empty
PostSubject: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 pm

All, i am looking for to buy a driver. Is there any such thing as a forgiving driver?

i have tried the taylormade burner 2.0 10.5 R Flex and TM RBZ 9.5 S flex and i like the 10.5 deg as it gives me more loft and feels better. There are so many models in the market so trying to get a review of it. Budget <250.

Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 pm

go golf bargain....get callaway FT 9
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 pm

The callaway fit is forgiving......but price may not be as forgiving as some other options listed above.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

The taylormade 2.0 is a safer bet. The downside, if any, is that it has a rather long shaft so may not be easy for a beginner. The sound at impact is a bit deafening

The ft9 is a good club but the sound at impact is too muted. Also, the resale value is next to nothing. U can easily get one below 100 if u buy from eBay US, including shipping.

If u are just starting out, I suggest u go to far east shopping centre n buy a used club. I'd recommend a ping g10. But those with the stock tfc shaft are hard to find.
Back to top Go down
Tokkokking
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 am

scottycollector wrote:
The taylormade 2.0 is a safer bet. The downside, if any, is that it has a rather long shaft so may not be easy for a beginner. The sound at impact is a bit deafening

The ft9 is a good club but the sound at impact is too muted. Also, the resale value is next to nothing. U can easily get one below 100 if u buy from eBay US, including shipping.

If u are just starting out, I suggest u go to far east shopping centre n buy a used club. I'd recommend a ping g10. But those with the stock tfc shaft are hard to find.

Hi Scottycollector,

You mentioned FESC, which shop in particular? And how much will a typical used club cost?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
iceballx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 am

go golf direct... cheap and good
Back to top Go down
charlesho
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
charlesho

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 7:25 am

You can try maruman conductor. They produce some decent drive.

I think I saw them on offer previously at Transview not sure about now.
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

Greenfield golf at Far East Shopping Centre

And my top pick driver for beginner is - Taylormade Burner 07

Very easy and FESC has some second hand in stock shaft options. Light on the wallet too
Back to top Go down
angeldogleslie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angeldogleslie

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 am

Tokkokking wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

Hi Scottycollector,

You mentioned FESC, which shop in particular? And how much will a typical used club cost?

Thanks in advance.

There are many sales going on now. GD, Isetan, Taka etc. Go take a look, compare prices with FESC's used clubs before making a decision. No harm looking around more, it is a joy when you can shop for clubs santa (Xmas came early)
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 am

Tokkokking wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

Hi Scottycollector,

Thanks in advance.
There are several 2nd hand shops in FESC. You need to know something abt clubs before you know what to buy, bring your experience golf kakis there. Should dig up some gems. As for FT9, golf bargain selling brand new I think around $129?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 am

As I don't have deep pockets, I usually buy experience drivers from internet or from bros here. I think it's quite a good deal compared to new ones. Smile
Back to top Go down
copen123
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
copen123

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 2:43 pm

http://www.ehow.com/video_5706837_golf-driver-beginners.html

"Well, the biggest problem I see with most beginners is that their drivers has not enough loft on the club; you know, that's the amount of slant on the face and way too stiff a shaft; how a shaft actually flexes in a golf swing. We need to make sure; I would think that, that 10.5 degrees would be the least of the amount that you should have as a beginner. I like to see a lot of these companies are making 12 and 13 degree drivers. That would be very good for a beginner and making sure that that shaft is, is soft enough for you to learn how to swing at and let the club the release. And our shaft, very few people should be swinging a stiff shaft; especially beginners should not be swinging them and if you got a middle age or anything up in there where your speeds aren't quite as high; maybe even a senior shaft in there. But making sure that the shaft is soft enough and there's enough loft to forgive an off centered hits. Remember, loft is the most forgiving part of golf. The nine iron or a wedge is easier to hit because the ball's propelled upward instead of outward. So loft is your forgiving factor. So making sure that you have enough loft and a soft enough shaft to fit you. To find that out, you need to go to a golf professional that can fit golf clubs for you. Even though you're a beginner, it's very important those clubs fit."

Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 pm

When first starting out, guys will usually stay far away from anything resembling ladies clubs, what with the lighter colours and flower patterns on the shaft. If they take the time to try the drivers of their female golfing friends, they might be pleasantly surprised.

The standard loft and length of the ladies drivers are made to be very friendly to the beginner - around 12 degree loft on a shaft that should be less than 45" especially for Asian spec ladies drivers. This is a formula for a nice easy swing to create consistent contact.

When swing speed increases hopefully the beginner has grooved out a nice tempo for his swing and can move on to other clubs, but just food for thought - ladies drivers for the male beginner. Basketball
Back to top Go down
Najibapark
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Najibapark

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

You should try G15 10.5 regular flex. Have been hitting fairways with it! Saw some bros selling their G15. Large club face. So hit any part still can fly. Trust me Wink
Back to top Go down
nyisoe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Najibapark wrote:
You should try G15 10.5 regular flex. Have been hitting fairways with it! Saw some bros selling their G15. Large club face. So hit any part still can fly. Trust me Wink

I'm about to recommend the same thing ... The club is very forgiving and quite long off the tee. Nice sound at impact too..
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:52 pm

One thing I learnt Abt driver is that the shaft makes the difference!
Back to top Go down
tankh76
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I used Nickent driver 10.5 previously.. very easy to hit Smile
Back to top Go down
j-sho
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 pm

am using TM 1.0 Burner stiff shaft asian spec 10.5. pretty easy to hit. like with any drivers..once u kenna the sweet spot really shiok
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 7:20 am

Drivers are personal. No doubt.

When looking for drivers, don't discount Adams and Cleveland. These are underrated manufacturers who actually produce sterling clubs. If you don't mind something a bit older, the Adams 9064LS is a good driver. Alternatively, consider the Adams Fast 12 which is going at a v good price at GD. The classic Cleveland Launcher driver from 2008/9 is also very good, as are the newer Cleveland drivers in the market today.
Back to top Go down
onime
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
onime

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 9:14 am

Taylormade driver since day 1 cheers
Back to top Go down
steven_koh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
steven_koh

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 am

Can try out the old taylormade R7 CGB driver...easy to hit ..sound not bad too been using it since it launch ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drivers For Beginners   Drivers For Beginners I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drivers For Beginners
Page 1 of 1