Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?

Go down 
+5
kian
Technospaz
andrew-golf
shamusan
Zerocool2311
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? Empty
PostSubject: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi all,

So glad to have found this forum after playing the game for 8 years! Guess I did not look around much online till now!

I would like to get some advise on the 2 drivers. Not too sure which is a better buy. S3 has e9 while callaway has the new composite material. price wise, s3 is about $200 cheaper

Appreciate the advice Smile
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:23 pm

well, i've tried both drivers and i think it would depend on whether you generate a lot of spin on your drives or not, if you spin rate is too high currently, you will benefit from the S3 a great deal... personally i'm loving the S3
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh okay. Thanks! I also heard the s3 is more forgiving but in terms of distance, any difference ?
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:35 pm

honestly, no diff la

the most give u 5m-10m

i used both..

tho the s3 give longer distance, it is through roll

The razer give me more carry and less roll..

i will prefer a shaft head combo where even on my worst driving day, i can launch the ball, decent distance and straight...
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:39 pm

personally i got more distance from the S3...
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Ah ok ok. I think the s3 seems pretty decent. Wasted the places I went cannot give it a swing. Besides far east, where else got sell the s3?
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

They have both the normal n white ones. Not tough to find
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Zerocool2311 wrote:
Ah ok ok. I think the s3 seems pretty decent. Wasted the places I went cannot give it a swing. Besides far east, where else got sell the s3?

Golf House.
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Ok sure. I will try to have a look over there.
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:04 pm

u can go BFG at Keppel club for demo
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Oh okay. They sell it there too? Price? Must book appt or contact anyone?
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 5:18 pm

golfamigos - ivan, frostee - yL or Dgman - Eric
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi guys, I was considering about the comments n going to try the s3. But for callaway razr, considered good in terms of quality make and perhaps for long term? Sorry if it sounds silly or wrong!
Back to top Go down
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Go to any shop or demo and hit them for yourself. Find one that feels more comfortable for you and then go get fitted. Other people's opinions are worth considering, but ultimately it is you hitting the driver and feeling it.
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Yup yup. Thanks so much! Will do so soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:06 am

U can also check out Golfers Point at Bishan range as they also carry Cobra n other brands as well.

Honestly, would u pay $200 more just for that extra 5-10% of distance difference? Cos end of the day, should u decide to sell it, will u be able to sell it at the same price difference? Just my thoughts bro... Times r getting bad now Smile enjoy ur buying process n new toy to be Smile
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 6:46 am

shamusan wrote:
personally i got more distance from the S3...

Hi Sham,
How does the S3 compare to your 910?
Same loft and shaft?
What are your average total distances with each of them?

My backside was itchy and was interested in the s3 w tour ad shaft but feedback from another friend that it is straighter but distance wise nothing to shout about. I am currently using an S2 driver 10.5* w stock fujikura fit on max stiff 65g shaft.

You and others who can tell me more about S3 compared to other drivers will be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 am

Hmmm that's a tough one. Honestly speaking, I would get more distance out of my 910 when both clubs are struck well however, I seem to strike the S3 a great deal better due to it's forgiveness.

Some of you that have played with me would know that I have this early release of my wrists and this leads to a really horrible snap hook and the 910 really punishes me for this. Whereas the S3 let's me get away with it a fair amount of the time and allows me to find the light rough / rough without being as punishing as the 910.

In terms of distance, I would say that comparing well struck shots, the S3 would be about 5m shorter than the D3 and about the same or slightly longer than the D2
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks batman for the advice! Guess I really need to consider n do more homework b4 committing too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 pm

hi guys... any thoughts on the callaway legacy driver?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 pm

You can get more info from Golf Digest's Hot List. Here's the link for the 2011 drivers Smile
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 pm

thanks pal!!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Not problems Smile Have fun driver-hunting Smile

By the way, I think the S3 is nice. I have the S3 Max which is a newbie-friendly S3 (as if the S3 isn't friendly enough). I've gamed it a few times and it's been pretty good ('cept for the shaft which was too whippy for me). Getting that baby reshafted is my next priority Smile
Back to top Go down
Zerocool2311
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm

yeah. i went to try the s3 and hawk but tend to prefer the feel of the hawk driver. not sure why also... ha!

but the am not sure if getting the 2011 Hawk makes sense to the 2010 legacy.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks Sham for your review of the S3 driver.

My backside got the better of me and I bought the S3 9.5* with a tour AD DI-6s shaft a few days ago. I tried it out immediately at a friendly tournament in Legends GCC in Kulai, Johor.

The head is definitely more forgiving even though the loft is stronger than my s2 (10.5*). In the beginning I was not able to launch the driver high, resulting in reduced distances. I tend to have an easy swing tempo and this driver/shaft combo does not like my swing speed. However, I was still optimistic and played around with the address position and also amped up my hips gradually. And yes, with a faster swing speed, the results were quite promising.

I even outdrove the longest hitter of my flight on one of the Par 5s which gave me an opportunity to try for 2 on.

Not bad for its first day!

I gamed it on Saturday again and this time, the low launch is still evident for the whole day.

I feel that my current swing speed is not up to par to benefit from the 9.5 head. Yes it is forgiving but if the launch angle is too low, I feel that I cannot optimize its potential.

I have put the Tour AD shaft into my S2 10.5* head so that I can work on increasing my swing speed first and create a higher launch angle. Once that is achieved, I will try the S3 9.5* head again.

Now for a review of the Tour AD DI-6s shaft. Wow!!! This shaft is per what Bro Lee said. It needs to be pushed hard. It can take whatever I dish out and still take even more. I think I am only using about 20% of its potential and it is already producing more distance than my current S2/fit-on max setup.

In addition, Tour AD reduces the dispersion quite a bit, I would safely say at least 20-30%. My slices are lesser and my hooks are not as wild.

In order to exploit this shaft, I must increase my swing speed. Now I understand why a good shaft will help me in increasing my swing speed. I can afford to push it hard and it will still be strong enough not to veer off course.

I Like!!!

S3 Head, wait for me ok?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?   Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callaway raze hawk or cobra s3 driver?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next