Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?

Go down 
+7
Winston
mysticsea
Tituman
joshcct
eiji
Seiko
Batman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? Empty
PostSubject: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi all,

As above n would like to hear all e 'si fus' thoughts here as in which will be more suitable for me? In terms of forgiveness, playability etc....

On another note, should I go for a 10.5 or 9.5 loft?

Appreciate all comments/ thoughts. TIA Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Bro, u buy ZL 1st! If not suitable then sell it to me at 50% discount ok? Laughing

just kidding...have u try the two drivers at the range? I don't know if Ms Moon still got ZL driver for loan at the SSN gathering. u might want to check with her!!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 pm

go for a Cobra demo day, try them both out and then decide.

No longer any clubs for demo/loan at SSN.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 6:41 am

thanks eiji, I'll do just tat Smile
Back to top Go down
joshcct
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 am

there is a cobra demo day on 26 Jun at MBGC. can try both there.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am

Hi bro,
I normally don't give advice here on how to hit a shot as I considered myself a 'seasoned' beginner. But as this advice is not about teaching anyone how to hit a shot, about moving the shoulder up or down, or about hit hard look up..etc etc....I think its ok just to add some word on my experience thru the 8 years I have been playing golf. As you have stated, you have just played golf for 2 months. Have you tried hitting other brand of drivers? I am sure you have right? But it doesn't seem to work right ? So you think another new driver which has decent feedback will surely help you out right? Well, my honest opinion is that it is not the fault of the driver which you can't hit straight. Have you heard of the idiom that "It is not the arrow but the Indian." Go and practice more on your irons and if you really want to hit further, try Hybrid or Fairway wood first. Until you can hit both decently straight. then if you want to progress to driver , then go ahead. Otherwise if you buy ZL or S2 or any other 'godd feedback' drivers at this stage, I guarantee you after a few weeks you will regret spending that money on the driver. However, I could be wrong here. You may have already progressed to a stage whereby you really want to get a new driver to help your game take another step forward. But golf is not that easy to conquer within 2 months if you are an absolute beginner. The majority of golfers have played years and years and yet they have yet to master, especially the driver. Keep this money you budgetted for the driver for now. Maybe in the near future, there will be another better buy. Sorry for being so lor sor hor, but just giving my honest opinion. Just don;'t want you to waste money and after few weeks you will go to the market place to sell. Seen too many of this happened right here. Go thru the Market Place and see whats the percentage of sellers for drivers there. Why sell it if it works.? Just remember the popular "Its the Indian and not the Arrow" and you will understand why. Peace

Tituman
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:27 am

Tituman wrote:
Hi bro,
I normally don't give advice here on how to hit a shot as I considered myself a 'seasoned' beginner. But as this advice is not about teaching anyone how to hit a shot, about moving the shoulder up or down, or about hit hard look up..etc etc....I think its ok just to add some word on my experience thru the 8 years I have been playing golf. As you have stated, you have just played golf for 2 months. Have you tried hitting other brand of drivers? I am sure you have right? But it doesn't seem to work right ? So you think another new driver which has decent feedback will surely help you out right? Well, my honest opinion is that it is not the fault of the driver which you can't hit straight. Have you heard of the idiom that "It is not the arrow but the Indian." Go and practice more on your irons and if you really want to hit further, try Hybrid or Fairway wood first. Until you can hit both decently straight. then if you want to progress to driver , then go ahead. Otherwise if you buy ZL or S2 or any other 'godd feedback' drivers at this stage, I guarantee you after a few weeks you will regret spending that money on the driver. However, I could be wrong here. You may have already progressed to a stage whereby you really want to get a new driver to help your game take another step forward. But golf is not that easy to conquer within 2 months if you are an absolute beginner. The majority of golfers have played years and years and yet they have yet to master, especially the driver. Keep this money you budgetted for the driver for now. Maybe in the near future, there will be another better buy. Sorry for being so lor sor hor, but just giving my honest opinion. Just don;'t want you to waste money and after few weeks you will go to the market place to sell. Seen too many of this happened right here. Go thru the Market Place and see whats the percentage of sellers for drivers there. Why sell it if it works.? Just remember the popular "Its the Indian and not the Arrow" and you will understand why. Peace

Tituman

titu... action louder than words... jio him for range... lend him ur ZL...
he will be able to tell which is more suitable for himself... bounce
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:05 am

Titu's ZL is shafted with the Kajiki, and according to him, IT IS A BEAST!!!!!!!

Batman, I not "shifu" or anything, just a beginner in the game.

I backside itchy went to buy a ZL only after about 7 months into the game.

And I also had limited experience trying other brands. Do I have any regrets buying it? nope, only wished I had taken my time to try more brands / models before making my decision.

I guess the important thing here is to take your time. As titu mentioned, "Its the indian, not the arrow"

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks guys. Just trying to instil into beginners the futility of changing drivers thinking it will solved their problems of hitting their driver effectivelyly without having to perfect their own swing technique.

titu
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm

Tituman wrote:
Thanks guys. Just trying to instil into beginners the futility of changing drivers thinking it will solved their problems of hitting their driver effectivelyly without having to perfect their own swing technique.

titu

Titu,

Regarding the ZL, do you play it at neutral setting? I tried the different settings and at closed setting, I play better but was getting lazy at my swing. So now I leave it at neutral and continue to try and improve my swing to be more consistent.
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 1:53 pm

appreciate ur very good advice n sharing bro titu. but e prob is tat i dun even have a driver n if i wanna play on an 18hole green, I'll need a driver. rite?

so far i have only tried TM R5 on e range. hence I'm under e impression tat most drivers r being made more or less e same. rite? n since I need 1 I prefer to stick to 1 brand n to me, Cobra is gonna be e 1
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Batman wrote:
appreciate ur very good advice n sharing bro titu. but e prob is tat i dun even have a driver n if i wanna play on an 18hole green, I'll need a driver. rite?

so far i have only tried TM R5 on e range. hence I'm under e impression tat most drivers r being made more or less e same. rite? n since I need 1 I prefer to stick to 1 brand n to me, Cobra is gonna be e 1

Nope. Not true. You are allowed a max of 14 clubs in your bag. It can be all putters, it really dosent matter.

When I fplayed my first few games, I was using only a 3 wood to tee-off, no driver in my bag.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Bro Bat, I do understand. The excitement of using the biggest head and longest shaft in your bag is very diff to surpress......

On one hand there is the logic to use non-driver....and on the other hand is the unquantifiable satisfactiion of having a full set.......

So buy the ZL driver or S2 driver if you are the latter.....as sooner or later still need driver.

PS: if not happy with ZL driver then , do 'soft launch'....pls PM first hor

Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Its not really abt e excitement or whatsiever bro duval. Its more abt having the right eq so that this indian have e option to use when teeing off on a par 5.

Btw wat do u mean by 'pm' 1st
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Batman wrote:
Its not really abt e excitement or whatsiever bro duval. Its more abt having the right eq so that this indian have e option to use when teeing off on a par 5.

Btw wat do u mean by 'pm' 1st

just for your consideration:

typically for par 4 & par 5, you would like to tee off with the club that gives you the longest possible distance.

therefore, you need to figure out which club gives YOU that distance MOST of the time.
go to the range, hit every club and then compare club by club and that would be the club of choice for teeing off, not the loft/ number on the head.

it could be a mid iron, long iron, hybrid, fairway wood or a driver, i think this is the general message from others as well.

to be objective, hit 10 balls per club and write down the distance.
the club that gives you the highest percentage of longest distance, will be YOUR "driver".

if you would like to train using a driver, then most driver would do the job and the choice is entirely up to you as long as the loft is not too low (10.5* and above is good) and shaft not too stiff.
Err on a higher loft, more flexible shaft than a lower loft, stiffer shaft.

IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Winston wrote:
Tituman wrote:

titu

Titu,

Regarding the ZL, do you play it at neutral setting? I tried the different settings and at closed setting, I play better but was getting lazy at my swing. So now I leave it at neutral and continue to try and improve my swing to be more consistent.

Hi Winston, I never change the setting at all. Left it at neutral which suits me fine. Whenever sometimes my ball don't react properly, I know the reason for it and next shot I am able to overcome it. Most of the time when I want to load it up to 100 % my tempo and rythmn sure could not synchronised properly which resulted in slice most of the time. I just need to slow the tempo back down to around 85% and everything will be fine again. But you know sometime one like to live dangerously especially when you see the fairway in front is wide and you just tempted to try and bomb one, and you will want to try to unload as much as possible and most of the time the ball will missed the fairway due to the reason stated above .... Crying or Very sad But I do know what to do but still need time to practice on it but which I don't go down to the range to practice on it.
There are many ways to hit the ball but one must practiced it at the range until you master the timing and perfect the synchronisation of your arm and body to the faster speed. Anyway, I could safely said that if I want to hit a straight but not long ball, I could muster it up.

titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Batman wrote:

Batman, you don't need a driver which will only sent your ball left and right except centre at this stage of your game. So whats the point?. Take my word for it. Just continue to used the 5 wood right now until you gain confidence than move one step up into 3 wood. Driver should be the last thing in your mind right now. If you are going to get a driver now, you will be spending a lot of time on it trying to master it and you would have neglected your irons practice which is more important than driver right now at your stage. Take one step at a time and you won't regret it in the future. A lot of accomplished golfers used 3 woods to tee off because they have more confidence in it than their driver. You go figure it out why they don't used their driver there. Even pros used 3 woods and sometimes even irons to tee off.

titu
Back to top Go down
golfchowmk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfchowmk

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Tituman wrote:
Batman wrote:

Batman, you don't need a driver which will only sent your ball left and right except centre at this stage of your game. So whats the point?. Take my word for it. Just continue to used the 5 wood right now until you gain confidence than move one step up into 3 wood. Driver should be the last thing in your mind right now. If you are going to get a driver now, you will be spending a lot of time on it trying to master it and you would have neglected your irons practice which is more important than driver right now at your stage. Take one step at a time and you won't regret it in the future. A lot of accomplished golfers used 3 woods to tee off because they have more confidence in it than their driver. You go figure it out why they don't used their driver there. Even pros used 3 woods and sometimes even irons to tee off.

titu

Bro Titu i tak boleh tahan lu, yr sentence getting longerr and longerrr
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 6:06 pm

not lor sor, but jus showing his fatherly side.

bro titu,
i agree w u. will heed ur advice Smile thanks for pointing out.
cos my 3woods (which i'd been using it for a fair bit) is giving me ~150m. so for a 500m par 5, 3x150=450. means i only left w 50m to attack. 1 chip, 1 putt =par.. par par par all da way!! swee swee Very Happy haha
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Batman wrote:
not lor sor, but jus showing his fatherly side.

bro titu,
i agree w u. will heed ur advice Smile thanks for pointing out.
cos my 3woods (which i'd been using it for a fair bit) is giving me ~150m. so for a 500m par 5, 3x150=450. means i only left w 50m to attack. 1 chip, 1 putt =par.. par par par all da way!! swee swee Very Happy haha

Thats good Batman. Honestly my driver though straight at 85% it can only deliver up to 180/185 m. I take that distance anytime against one with 230/250 m distance but OB, hazard or lost... Your 150M is good enough bro. Just keep plugging in and you will be there in no time. Happy golfing 'junior'
kekkekek... I think your age could possibly be my son if I started my production line sooner ha ha.... lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 7:34 pm

golfchowmk wrote:
Tituman wrote:
Batman wrote:

titu

Bro Titu i tak boleh tahan lu, yr sentence getting longerr and longerrr

Bro the older you are, the more lor sor you will become ha ha. Now 'hibernating' like what ChrisD used to say, I will write more here ha ha. Intend to have my elbows cured before I go back on the green again. *Determination* *Ren* *Tahan* *Resist*

titu
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 pm

'Senior' titu,
Thanks for e encouragement man Very Happy will keep practising. Hope u have a speedy recovery. N hopefully I'll b good enuf to green wif u someday..
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Batman wrote:
'Senior' titu,
Thanks for e encouragement man Very Happy will keep practising. Hope u have a speedy recovery. N hopefully I'll b good enuf to green wif u someday..

sure got chance.. will like to see the batman meet the tituman play together
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 am

haha as in spidy vs batty?? then e other 2 balls sponsor beer n makan for e game??

btw ah rock, u really have too many drivers like wat mystic say si bo?
if yes, t-loan me one tat u dun use for me to hit hit leh Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?   Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cobra S2 or Cobra ZL driver for 2mth old newbie?
Page 1 of 1