Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God

Go down 
+38
zephyr_bloom
WeeQi
4dtoto
zhenxua
Slicer51
golfool2009
gomjgo
botak
chinchiachun
dmateo
slinger
iron eagle
Turbo
fata
asdw
Golf-mass
cmclee
kevlye
Begbie
S70B
stickman
tronos
pushslice
jaketang
cwpei8888
Derek
mizzy
scarynight
Duval_S
Technospaz
golf_snowman
Schulo
TourSwing
duffader
FD448
asahi
simoner
Lee36328
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God Empty
PostSubject: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 am

Two years ago, I found out about a master craftsman, Mr. Katsuhiro Miura, known by the Japanese media as the Hands of God. He hails from Himeji City, Japan, an area steeped in antiquity as the home of the Samurai sword.

The forging skills of the ancient master sword makers have been handed down the generations and today have evolved into making some of the finest forged irons and wedges known to man.

Among many others, the most notorious urban-myth type of rumour was that Tiger sought him out, and insisted Nike bought Miura's forgings, put their logo on them, and used them as his blades.

Wow, these guys are good, that's the best sales pitch I have ever heard. But, a part of me wondered, was it all just hype? Can it be that good?

"When golfers see a Miura club for the first time, and actually hold it in their hands, there is a common shared experience - LOVE at first sight. And like trying to define love, no words can seem to describe the absolute exhilaration one gets from swinging a Miura club, it is something that one needs to FEEL to discover."

Really? I mean, I know marketing's job is to sell the product, but... really?

Anyway, my curiosity was peaked.

One fine day, a demo club, the Miura Tournament Blade arrived at my friendly neighbourhood clubfitter. So I took it with me for a few days, to see what the fuss was about.

Being a beginner back then, my swing was rather haphazard, and I painfully failed to see what the fuss was about as I mishit one shot after another.

Suddenly, the ball took off with quiet sound of a gentle breeze, and my hands felt the impact as light as a feather's caress. I had finally found the sweet spot.

Wow... my jaw dropped.

Long story short, fell in love with the buttery feel, like the ad said above, and I had to own a set for myself. I ended up choosing the small blade special edition, the Miura Series 1957 Special Edition Small Blade. The beauties arrived accompanied by a 'birth certificate'.

I looked at each of these art pieces and realized it would be a pity to scar them with an inconsistent beginner's swing. I stored them away carefully, and I vowed that one day, I will develop a swing worthy and able enough to handle them.

That was two years ago.

After patiently working on my swing all this while, I am finally about to know what these beauties feel like. This morning, I took these lovelies out of storage and instructed my clubfitter to build up the set.

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_00731024

They are almost too beautiful to hit, won't you agree?

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_01001024

Look at the fine and uniform flow of the grain.

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_00921024

The shaft of choice, Project X 6.0.

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_01111024

Two years was a long wait.

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_00331024

The wait is almost over...

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_01581024
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:08 am

Very nice club bro!

Drooling!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 6:40 am

Very very sweet set indeed!

Well worth the wait.
Back to top Go down
FD448
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
FD448

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:23 am

They are nice!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 am

Looks like ikasu blades... Himeiji forged too. Jap blades are really nicely done. And almost looks the same. I guess this set should be as nice as the ikasus.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

Fantastic story ... Good luck , and keep us posted on your progress!!!
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

Very cool story! I actually like the story so much, I almost want to try these clubs...
Great marketing by Miura liao! Keep me posted on how they feel on the course.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 am

affraid affraid ....small blade !!!!

what a beauty....this is the type of iron that i would only take and keep...really can't bear to hit it

do update us more on the performance on this set.....i'm very keen to know ....keke

once a again...very beautiful set of iron
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am

Too sweet to use Smile I bet they play very well Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 am

ok....I want to honest...I don think i have the talent EVER to use such clubs

and I want to be more honest.....I am pretty much tasteless....in the sense that I cant really tell or appreciate the workmanship

but I want to be very honest....I herad many good things about the quality of this brand

and lastly I am honest to wish our bro....best wishes and enjoy the irons

honestly...
Back to top Go down
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

They look really very nice sia......
Must be the photography....

How much a set like that?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 am

simoner wrote:
Very nice club bro!

Drooling!

Thanks bro! So good I could not resist despite (or perhaps even because of) the hefty price tag.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

asahi wrote:
Very very sweet set indeed!

Well worth the wait.

Originally just wanted to keep these in a frame as a collectible, very happy learning to hit my Mizuno MP52. Then recently my swing after two long years of working on it began to hit blades well, until I could not wait any longer...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:48 am

FD448 wrote:
They are nice!

I surely agree. In fact, I think they are engineered to evoke precisely such a response, followed by a secondary response of reaching for the wallet to produce a piece of plastic...

If subject needs further convincing, have subject hit some golf balls with it, and the resulting reaching for the wallet is almost inevitable.

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 am

duffader wrote:
Looks like ikasu blades... Himeiji forged too. Jap blades are really nicely done. And almost looks the same. I guess this set should be as nice as the ikasus.

Naturally I googled Ikasu blades, and I can see what you mean. It even has a slight Japanese Transformer look to the edges of the muscle. Oooh.... sharp....

A quick check, and I observed the following, if I'm not mistaken...

Difference in philosophy of the manufacturing process and hosel construction. Miura presses the forgings three tines, while Ikasu twice. Miura presses the club head without hosel to avoid distorting the grain, Ikasu presses the club including the hosel as one-piece to avoid welding the hosel. Miura uses a proprietary spin-welding process where the hosel is actually spun at high speed into the club head until the heat melts the steel and creates an accurate join. Engineering techniques like that really appeal to my childhood inner nerd. study
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 am

TourSwing wrote:
Fantastic story ... Good luck , and keep us posted on your progress!!!

Thank you bro, the story of the two-year wait is actually also the story of my swing evolution, so definitely more to come.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am

Schulo wrote:
Very cool story! I actually like the story so much, I almost want to try these clubs...
Great marketing by Miura liao! Keep me posted on how they feel on the course.

All they had to mention was Himeiji, samurai sword makers, and my imagination did the rest.

It seems many brands seek Miura to produce OEM clubs for them, but to quote the website, "Due to the confidential nature of his prior OEM engagements, it isn't possible to describe in detail the championships that have been won with clubs forged by Katsuhiro Miura, but the list is lengthy and the championships that are a matter of public record include: 2 Masters Championship, 1 United States Open Championship, 1 Senior PGA Championship and 25 wins on the Japanese Tour."

The way they offer just a bit of information, leaving the rest to your imagination is pure genius.

Just like a full-length cheongsam that only reveals a slit of thigh, just enough of a hint... ooohh...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

golf_snowman wrote:
affraid affraid ....small blade !!!!

what a beauty....this is the type of iron that i would only take and keep...really can't bear to hit it

do update us more on the performance on this set.....i'm very keen to know ....keke

once a again...very beautiful set of iron

Yes, looks intimidating how small it is.

I will take some photos later today the view when addressing the ball - really small! Esp when compared to other clubs.

I have not even hit a baby blade even once before, so this will be a first. Will update here for sure.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 am

Technospaz wrote:

Like you, I appreciate art and beauty, and this thing is the embodiment of both.

So, I would really hate to nick it up.

Guess I will be sorting out the clean balls from the dirty balls at the range before hitting with these, and wiping the face with a towel after every strike, the way I do with my Adams A12 hybrid now; which by the way, still looks almost new after a few sessions, so I am well pleased with it.
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 am

Duval_S wrote:
ok....I want to honest...I don think i have the talent EVER to use such clubs

and I want to be more honest.....I am pretty much tasteless....in the sense that I cant really tell or appreciate the workmanship

but I want to be very honest....I herad many good things about the quality of this brand

and lastly I am honest to wish our bro....best wishes and enjoy the irons

honestly...

Thank you for your honesty bro! Laughing And thanks for all your good wishes, sincerely.

And if we're really honest, at the back of all our minds we are thinking, hey this guy, two years into golf, are you sure you can hit such a small blade? Sure or not....???? In fact, it is at the back of my mind too.

To find out how I made up my mind, finally, after two years, to take these beauties out and play them, read on...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 am

scarynight wrote:
They look really very nice sia......
Must be the photography....

How much a set like that?

See what just happened?

You joined in July 2009, and this is your first post ever.

The Hands of God has moved you to post. It does things like that.

And you're the first to note the photography - must be a fellow photography buff, thanks.

How much? Let's just say, if I were to buy a completed set of Mizuno MP68 in Project X, full set, it will cost almost twice as much to buy these blades, just the heads alone. I know, it hurts me every time I think about it. Beauty comes with sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 am

Lee36328 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Like you, I appreciate art and beauty, and this thing is the embodiment of both.

Guess I will be sorting out the clean balls from the dirty balls at the range before hitting with these, and wiping the face with a towel after every strike, the way I do with my Adams A12 hybrid now; which by the way, still looks almost new after a few sessions, so I am well pleased with it.

Hmmm....

Odd story - my friend told his wife something similar when she got a pair of Manolos. "They're pretty when kept but prettier when worn." Scratched 'em soon after. Blamed him ever since.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:59 am

Technospaz wrote:
Lee36328 wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Hmmm....

Odd story - my friend told his wife something similar when she got a pair of Manolos. "They're pretty when kept but prettier when worn." Scratched 'em soon after. Blamed him ever since.

bro,

it really depends on where she wears them..
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Blade - A Love Story   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 pm

After two years at the range, and uncountable buckets of balls, not to mention buckets of sweat, I have finally outgrown the Mizzy MP52's. The offset was good in the beginning when I needed help squaring the club, but now that the swing is more neutral, the offset is causing me to hook.

Like this.

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God DSC_0152800

I tried the Mizuno blade, the MP68, but had great difficulty squaring the face sufficiently, blocking it waaay right with an open face.

My helpful friendly neighbourhood clubfitter, Duncan of Absolut Custom Golf, gave me an important tip in my takeaway - I was going back too deep - and it started getting better. Still not quite blade-ready, but improving. Using this tip, I smashed the Adams Pro Black hybrid at 95mph, and 195m carry in the Trackman.

So, it was back to the range, this time I switched off the camera, and explored purely by feel, using the unforgiving Adams Pro Black and it's friendlier brother the A12.

Next, I attended a swing clinic courtesy of Titleist, conducted by American pro Berry Henson, with multiple wins on the Asian Tour. He gave me two comments - my preshot routine and my setup. Sounds real simple, right? But oh, so profound when I explored and internalized it.

I started hitting balls at the range beyond the fence, up the slope, at the tree outside of the range...Wha...?

To be continued.... first I gotta go to Absolut to decide on the grip for my beauties and pick them up today!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 pm

6I with 22m of roll !?!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God   Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waited Two Years For The Hands Of God
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next