Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le

Go down 
+10
asahi
Khorkar
tronos
JawereZ
clarencekim
Technospaz
alangolf
mizzy
Birdman
Duval_S
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le   Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 pm

peace2903 wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Played properly, if a ball is out of bounds, then you return to the tee to hit another drive since it is a stroke and distance penalty. There is no such thing as a local rule that allows a 2 stroke penalty and the ball to be played from where it went out of bounds.

The smart way is the way you play it. If there is even a hint that the ball may be out of bounds, after the rest of your flight has teed off and before your flight leaves the teee, declare first that you are hitting a provisional ball then proceed to tee off again. Then there is no need to return to the tee to re-tee off, wasting time and holding up flights behind, and in the process embarrassing oneself.

Hmmm... Remembered I was told I could drop a ball & take 2 strokes if I can't find my ball when I took my pc test in NSRCC. U mean no such rule?!!??!

Nope, no such rule, full stop. This is for Out of Bounds where there are white stakes or white lines.

The tester was probably doing it out of convenience, or for any number of reasons i can think of. But he should have told you what the ruling is, or those like you who take the test come away with wrong information on what you can and cannot actually do, which is sad.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le   Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:29 pm

nutty88 wrote:
Remember there was one tournament in which a pro double hit the golf ball while chipping it onto the green? This was caught on slow-mo and it was replayed many times. Can't recall which event and golfer it was but he was penalized. Was that an audience call-in?

That's happened many many times before, and you don't need slo-mo to tell that the ball has been hit twice. Can hear two sounds, one is the impact, two is the club contacting the ball again. Also can tell from the ball flight.

In the 80's, there was the chance of the first ever Asian to win a US Open, really big news at the time as Asians were practically unheard of except for the presence of Jap players like Isao Aoki, Jumbo Ozaki and Tommy Nakajima. This golfer was Taiwanese, Chen Tze-Chung, or better known as T.C. Chen in the US. There was no use of slo-mo back then, and they still caught him hitting the ball twice. After which he was known as Two Chip Chen forever more. Below is an excerpt of what happened at back then.

At the 1985 U.S. Open, he scored the first double eagle in U.S. Open history and tied the record low scores for the championship at that time after 36 holes (134) and 54 holes (203), but he fell away in the final round and finished tied for second, one shot behind Andy North. His fourth round included a quadruple bogey eight that featured a chip shot that he hit twice in one swing, and became part of the history of disastrous shots in the final round of a major. As a result of this shot, he is sometimes referred to as "Two Chip" Chen. He nearly recovered to win on the 18th, missing a chip shot by one inch, which secured the victory for North.

Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 TCChen_600x400
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le   Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm

peace2903 wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Played properly, if a ball is out of bounds, then you return to the tee to hit another drive since it is a stroke and distance penalty. There is no such thing as a local rule that allows a 2 stroke penalty and the ball to be played from where it went out of bounds.

The smart way is the way you play it. If there is even a hint that the ball may be out of bounds, after the rest of your flight has teed off and before your flight leaves the teee, declare first that you are hitting a provisional ball then proceed to tee off again. Then there is no need to return to the tee to re-tee off, wasting time and holding up flights behind, and in the process embarrassing oneself.

Hmmm... Remembered I was told I could drop a ball & take 2 strokes if I can't find my ball when I took my pc test in NSRCC. U mean no such rule?!!??!

this is the unofficial "rule" partially enforced by the marshals in MBGC (not sure about other courses)

Even the official 5 min rule to look for missing balls is not valid here in SG. Marshal's advise is 'if cannot find in 1 min, drop ball anywhere and hit.

Even told by marshals to 'skip a hole or two' cause the fight in front is holding my fight which in turn is holding the flight behind. The joke is he did not tell the flight in front to skip a hole or two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le   Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rules-R-Rules but this is stupid le
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3