Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Rules

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Rules  Empty
PostSubject: Golf Rules    Golf Rules  I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 1:53 am

Just curious - How many of you have read the Golf Manual when you started to play this game? n how do you play a game without the knowledge of the rules n etiquette ? 

even a game of marbles has it rules.

Last edited by Kaii on Wed May 04, 2016 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Golf Rules  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules    Golf Rules  I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm

When I first became a member of a golf club many many years ago, I started golf with a friend showing me the basics (e.g. how to grip the club, stance) at club's driving range. When I could reasonably hit and advance the ball forward, I then signed up for a few lessons with the club pro to get my proficiency certificate (PC). In addition to guiding me, the pro would explain some of the basic rules, particularly those regarding etiquette. Upon getting my PC, I had to find fellow club members who have held a handicap for at least a year to accompany me to play on the course. The accompanying member was responsible for my conduct on the course and would guide and explain to me the basic rules and etiquette. After having collected the required number of 18 holes cards, the next step was the handicap test by a fellow club member (usually a seasoned single handicapper). I had to sit for a written test on rules and etiquette followed by playing a few holes with the tester before he gave me my starting handicap. This was the routine all novice golfing members had to go through and it ensured the golfers had the basic knowledge before they were let loose on the course.

I noted with the emergence of estate-less golf clubs, the approach was less stringent and in many instances, it was up to the novice golfer to submit the required number of cards to qualify for a handicap without having to take any test on knowledge of rules and etiquette. Many took short cuts and "created" the number of cards to qualify for a handicap. Thus we noted an increased numbers of golfers who behaved poorly on the course.

As I progressed in my game, I became more familiar with the rules and actually went out to buy my own picture illustrated golf rules book (those days, they do not give free handbook on golf rules). Since then, I have attended the Golf Rules Course and passed Stage 1. I now carry the rule book in my bag for reference when required but I have to admit it is not easy to go through and remember the rules. For those who are keen to participate in tournaments, it is essential that they have a good grasp of the rules and play their game in accordance with it. At a stroke play tournament a few years back, many golfers were penalized for not putting out as it was second nature for them to assume "putter length give" and they picked up the ball with their putter. When reminded, they were not aware they had to replace the ball and putt out and add one stroke penalty to their score. Many were disqualified because they failed to correct the error before teeing off at the next hole. Some of these players were playing well and in contention. What a waste!
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf Rules  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules    Golf Rules  I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Well said Bro Golfnut. A good knowledge of the rules of golf can actually assist you during a round.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Golf Rules  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules    Golf Rules  I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:26 am

I know basic rules in normal situations one would encounter on a game but those advanced ones like involving certain type of trees or ball in a rabbit hole kinda stuff, not too clear.

I recently started playing more with a very experienced friend and when I'm not sure, i ask him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf Rules  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules    Golf Rules  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Rules
Page 1 of 1