Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf rules

Go down 
+5
NikeN
Slicer51
chien
golfool2009
9 posters
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 pm

I recently got the reading of the rules wrong and thought it'd be useful to gather some of the more common scenarios we come across into one post so if there's ever a question during a round, just come to golfrepublic.org and search for this. I'm no expert so please feel free to correct me. Here we go:

Hazard and OB

A ball is considered in the hazard when it lies within the hazard or when any part of it touches the hazard (remember, stakes and lines are themselves part of the hazard).

But for OB, the entire ball must be beyond the OB line....

Ball on cart path
Under the rule of golf 24-2b, a golfer is entitled to free relief from a cart path if the ball comes to rest upon the path or the golfer's swing or stance is inhibited by the path. A golfer's stance is deemed to be inhibited if any part of his foot comes in contact with the path.

After deciding that relief from the cart path is desired or necessary, the golfer must find the nearest point of relief that moves the ball no closer to the hole and mark that point with a tee.
The golfer is entitled to one club length of relief from that spot, which is usually marked with another tee. The golfer must drop the ball from shoulder height at any point in between those two tees as long as the ball is not being dropped in a hazard or onto the green.
A golfer may take this relief with no penalty.

http://www.randa.org/en/Playing-Golf/Quick-Guide-to-the-Rules/Relief-Situations-and-Procedures/Immovable-Obstructions-and-Abnormal-Ground-Conditions.aspx

Generators or lamp posts
You will get relief if it interferes with your stance or your swing. No relief if it's in the way of your intended flight path.

Rule of thumb
Drop under free relief - one club length
Drop under penalty - two club lengths
Can't drop in a hazard

Ball moves while putting
If the ball moves after you've addressed the putt (grounded your putter), there's no penalty if it's due to wind but you will have to add a stroke and replace the ball if it moves because of gravity, e.g. on sloping greens
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:39 pm

GF

My heartiest congratulation on your 1,000th post !!

This is a good one, keep it coming..

Cheers Jump

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:10 am

GF, very nice of you get the common scenarios on golf rules in one post. I just love rules of golf, as i read allot on it and try to understand and discuss with other.

The last rules above on the ball moved during putting due to wind was actually a revised rules for year 2012 to 2015.

There was one scenarios my buddy always do. He break off leaves or thin tree branches when it is obstructing their stance. He claimed that there were loose impediments as it is hanging loose .. ROFL

rule of thumb : As long as it still connected to the ground, it is not loose impediments.

Another one, I always saw was: player will step on a branches or brush when it is obstructing their stance. This is not allow too.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 am

I would also think that, the rule 28 under ball unplayable can be use to our advantage sometime.

I think this is the only rule that we are allow to declare and use it anytime even your ball is not unplayable but we can still declare it unplayable under this rule.

www.randa.org/en/Playing-Golf/Quick-Guide-to-the-Rules/Ball-Unplayable.aspx

Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 am

golfool2009 wrote:

Generators or lamp posts
You will get relief if it interferes with your stance or your swing. No relief if it's in the way of your intended flight path.

Rule of thumb
Drop under free relief - one club length
Drop under penalty - two club lengths
Can't drop in a hazard

Thx for sharing!
i always thought it will b free relief when power box block my ball flight in MBGC. Really paiseh Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 9:24 am

we can take advantage on the rules of golf if we know how to apply it on certain situation.

The pictures below shows the swing was blocked by playing right handed. Player proceed to declare he will play this shot left handed. He will be standing on cart path and thus entitled for relief. (nearest point of relief + 1 club length). After the ball was dropped, he can then decide to play his normal right handed.

Golf rules 20120714110429

Golf rules 20120714110438

Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 pm

2008 wrote:
we can take advantage on the rules of golf if we know how to apply it on certain situation.

The pictures below shows the swing was blocked by playing right handed. Player proceed to declare he will play this shot left handed. He will be standing on cart path and thus entitled for relief. (nearest point of relief + 1 club length). After the ball was dropped, he can then decide to play his normal right handed.

Wow !!!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Some years ago, cannot remember is it a PGA or European Tour event, a player took advantage of the rule that he turn a chip into a putt due to the grandstand.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:16 am

Another one I got wrong:

25-2 EMBEDDED BALL

A ball embedded (plugged) in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course “through the green.” “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.
“Through the green” is the whole area of the course, except:
a. The teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played; and b. All hazards on the course.

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2010/12/embedded-ball-rule-25-2.html

Last edited by golfool2009 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Another one I got wrong:

25-2 EMBEDDED BALL

A ball embedded (plugged) in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely-mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course “through the green.” “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.
“Through the green” is the whole area of the course, except:
a. The teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played; and b. All hazards on the course.

no wonder u play 73... playing with all the wrong rules... tongue tongue tongue

Actually should have been 65... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 am

Chippy, you can go to the water drop temple or better still, lightning tree temple.....I will be at the temple of infinite sunshine to ensure good weather for our friday reunion matchup......
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:34 am

2008 wrote:

Wow....this s a gd news!! cheers
Tx fr sharg bro des. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 am

hkhamateur wrote:
2008 wrote:

Wow....this s a gd news!! cheers
Tx fr sharg bro des. Very Happy
Tried left hand before, trust me, my flight mates ROFL
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am

Actually pertaining to the article... if the golfer claims that he is entitled to a free relief based on the fact that his stance is 'obstructed' playing it abnormally left handed... shouldn't he be insisted on playing that shot left handed after the free relief? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 am

[/quote]Tried left hand before, trust me, my flight mates ROFL [/quote]

Reali!! Shocked
Next rd of golf, we perform ok? Laughing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

hkhamateur wrote:

[/qoute]Tried left hand before, trust me, my flight mates ROFL

Reali!! Shocked
Next rd of golf, we perform ok? Laughing [/quote]
You performed, i see... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf rules   Golf rules I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf rules
Page 1 of 1