Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

future of GR?

Go down 
+13
nientsu
kian
garfield
and68low
mUAr_cHEe
alangolf
Technospaz
pushslice
mizzy
nrafee
Duval_S
S70B
astray
17 posters
AuthorMessage
astray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Have been watching this forum for a while. Sadly, it's becoming a very closed community with probably around 20 people supporting it. Every thread seems to turn into who saddam (don't know what it means) who, asking for strokes, discuss all sorts of stuff short of the title of topic.

past threads in 2009 seems to be more valuable to get info.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Nice 1st post new member.

Perhaps u would like to contribute some useful info yourself instead of only being at the receiving end?

It will definitely help clock the rest of the 19 posts u need for a WTS thread.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Hmmm….well first of all, I noted that this is your first post. Welcome ….formally …hahaha

Here is my view and view only:

The forum is what we made it up to be. If one wishes to get pure golf information indefinitely, I honestly think its tough….how much valuable golf information can we all chime in after a certain timeframe right??? Do you really want to read about my bad swing and my aspiration to correct myself….hehehehee?

Be it online forum, classroom, work place or even neighborhood , its inevitable that there will be knitted communities being formed…bo pian….and reasons could be the playing std, the playing schedule etc etc.

In my view, it will be good that thru the forum we continue to foster golfing communities and some with different flavor fm one to another…and maybe one or twice a year, all of us will get together to play in a mega event.
Look at it this way, if there are things one wishes to know around golf, try posting it here and fm my experience, there will be help or feedback or information provided in true earnest spirit. Try it…seriously…

BTw, saddam is a term used to imply that a group of golfers will be collectively competing against one golfer….macam Saddam Hussien ex- dictator of Iraq…..where Ops DesertStrorm took him out.

Oops…sorry to intro myself, I am a Seasoned Beginner
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Really dun understand why the TS is sad about?

Yes I agreed that there are a bunch of regulars who spend a lot of time here, and often talk within their own group of friends, joking among themselves but all in good light and should not have disturbed anyone.

Rules on topics and sections are well followed with most of the tcss done in the lounge area.
Good articles and golf discussion are still taking place in the respective sections.

It is impt to have a group of regular in the community to keep the forum alive and active be it the marketplace or newbie coming in to ask questions.

Dead forums are not what makes a good forum. See golf digest or golf greedy's attempt to mimic GR. Boring.

The only thing I can think of is TS feels left out. Not feeling loved. :p

Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 pm

TS, as a lurker.. yes go look up what that means.. you do not have any influence on what goes on in discussions.

want golf info? there are lots of other places to surf.
As a forum, members just join and raise questions or give answers.
Threads go off topic, well.. its just a little bad habit but most times we are kept in check by the TS or the caddies/mods..

Well, with your first post, you are already well on your way to be a contributing member here. enjoy your membership. Happy new year too. Smile

PS: other forums are also like that.. humans are just that sort of social animals.. its closed knit becos most have played together or met up before so we can put a name and face behind that nick..
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 7:01 am

Hello bro and welcome...do join the discussions, and the games and the range sessions...or initiate ones yourself so others can join. Dun feel left out till you jump into the water, you will find very welcoming people here. I was a newbie too, not singaporean and dun speak chinese, so i oso didnt undwrstand much at first. but i made the effort to post, ask, play and get to know people. So now i know what chio bu, give 2-2, shiok stim, and xmm means, sort of....

I still dun know what ah pek means, what is it eh bros?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 7:40 am

I understand TS' point but that's how many online communities work. It's not that we don't welcome people but people may not feel welcomed. This is quite easily fixed IMHO.

We arrange weekly driving range sessions and monthly games in JB. That's on the official GR side.

But aside from these activities, you'll see that there are numerous other games which are running. They are often arranged by golf-crazed members who want to get together with others here to play or are already arranged by golf-crazed members with their offline friends but need some golfers to fill the absent slots.

If you participate in these activities, I'm sure you'll get to know the forum and its members betters. You'll see that GR is not just about golf, it's about golfers who have come to enjoy the sport and enjoy other golfers' company. You'll recognize that beyond all this, GR also helps to make a difference in the local community by supporting the Autism Association of Singapore.

With all that in mind, I'm hoping that you'll come to like GR and maybe... just maybe... be the "21st" person supporting it Smile

Anyway, welcome on board Smile
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 11:06 am

Can't help but offer my view.

I'm a lurker in GR too. I read this forum almost once every 3 days. Have been enjoying reading topics like 'massage at MBGC', 'sale info', 'marketplace', 'stolen clubs at MBGC' etc. This forum provides good info on what is happening in local golf scene. So if that's the expectation, GR is great.

However, if serious golf instructions, eqpt specs to match SS, golf drills etc is what you want, frankly this is not the place yet. Numerous other overseas forum are good at it (go there if I may suggest). If this is the future we hope of GR, then i agree with threadstarter that the close knit community joking amongst themselves is not helping.

Because of the close knit family, look at the thread on 'high handicapper', 'listening to music while practising' etc and what it turn to... they started off with good intention but... It's natural because ppl knows each other. However, if you're not familiar with other GRians, expecting info as the thread title suggest, it can be quite disappointing.

So, moderate your expectation, enjoy GR for what it is. Contribute in a way you think GR should be. Have no expectations.... it's a free INTERNET forum after all.

Happy New Year! World Peace Smile

Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 11:36 am

alan has good points...and the thread high handicapper started by newbie is a very good one, and lively now.. people actually forming games.. The ones joking around have left the room, including myself..sorry la Laughing
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 4:14 pm

how the forum will be is how the users make it out to be...

if there is no contribution, then there is no wealth of information. tot about it myself a couple of days ago... but being someone who cannot break 90, i do not dare to share my thoughts anymore...
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 4:52 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
how the forum will be is how the users make it out to be...

if there is no contribution, then there is no wealth of information. tot about it myself a couple of days ago... but being someone who cannot break 90, i do not dare to share my thoughts anymore...

MC, you can still share with us about breaking 100 ...... but I must say you did well, considering from the gold tees(they are called Black tees for most clubs) and "not up to standard greens"!.. Happy New Year Bro!
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:13 pm

with no female kakis to play golf with, i was a sad case of a ranger, only can hit range balls, occassionally played 9-hole at executive course. i don't even know what a real golf course looks like.

boy, am i glad GR was formed. i played my first round of golf game organised by GR in November 2009. i never looked back since. thanks to GR, i get to meet new kakis.

one year on, i have since gone offline and kena jio for games from GR kakis via sms or pm.

the forum is about people. it'll be a cool place if everyone, yes, move their fingers and pitch in to make the forum interesting and engaging. don't expect the 20 or so die hard kakis or even the moderators to spice this forum up.

it is after all, a non profit organisation, managed by volunteers who love golf enough, to toil tirelessly.

now, anyone wants to play golf? Beer
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 pm

R u Constance?
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:23 pm

kian wrote:
R u Constance?

yes sir
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Constance. Nice post. One thing I wud
Love to do in 2011 is to play with u
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Am actually pondering over the idea of writing bout my golf journey as a high hcp-er. With the various problems I face, I will write bout what drills I am currently doing and my progress.

This post will not be in the line of what u need to do if u have golf fault, but rather on the line of what I am currently doing to fix this or that fault.

This will be a weekly or bi-weekly post. Hmmmmmm. Dunno whether the mods will allow me to.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Malcolm i am sure anyone can write about anything here as long as its about Golf and not offensive.

only thing is we cannot force someone to read....haha

the law of forum is simple - interesting topics, they will be read, posted and active, otherwise it will be archived very fast.

Believe me there are lots of people who read although they do not post. GR has an international reader base too.

Why i know...now that's a secret.

DGman

Last edited by DGman on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 pm

A very interesting topic in quite a while... I had the feeling of being 'left out' during my first few outings with GR.. There are those very close groups who will usually joke and tcss amongst themselves.. So new members might find themselves being left out as it is always difficult to step into a group and start a conversation (I understand becos I am also VERY shy by nature)

But having said that.. I do encourage people stepping up and speak up cos I feel that generally most people in GR are really friendly no matter how 'fierce' they may look... Take Wilkang for example... Try to look serious and profound but the first words out of his mouth you'll know he is full of crap!

Alternatively.. One may consider looking for the group that you will likely to find a soulmate in.. I can generally identify a few main ones.. You have the HEAVY WEIGHT bets group... You have the HEAVY ASKING FOR STROKES but bet for coconuts group... You have the di go pek group.. And of cos not forgetting the FRIENDLY NICE GUY group ( which I belongs)... So blend in to what suits you most and you'll find yourself contributing to the very active members category...

This forum helps bring different holders from all walks of life to share their experiences.. I believe there are hundreds that come and go.. But for those who find great friends and share the common interest in golf + some other activities... This is probably one of the best place you can get online that does just that!

Long live GR!!!!

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 7:26 pm

thank u, capt for the kind words...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! AULD LANG SYNE!
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Everytime when there's a post by Alvin..i am so darn sure to be dragged into his "speech".

But then again, we were both 'virgins' on that same fateful night at SSN.
So a strong bond was built when we lost our first time at SSN. Laughing

Happy New Year to all GR'ians!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:15 pm

I thought about what is said.

If you are lurking and not contributing, then you sort of have to take what others had contributed. There's nothing much to complain about right? A receiving person cannot choose what others want to give. If you don't like, just walk away or decline politely.

If what you are looking for is some hardcore golf stuff or good information, go ahead and create those topics. Someone told me, if you want something done your way, then do it yourself. It is more effective compared to waiting for others to do it. There are lots of golf passionates in the forum, rules experts, professionals who are playing or coaching, low handicappers, clubfitters, equipment sluts etc. You name it, you have it here. I am sure if you have certain topics in mind that you deem informative and useful, all you need is to start a thread and there would be people replying.

A forum attracts people of similar interests and of course you will always have cliques forming. If you just want a golf only discussion, we are better off running a golf wiki than a forum. And seriously, one of the reason why we started this forum is for people to meet up and have more golf buddies. I think we achieved that objective well. The other objective is to instill social mindedness and from the donation to charity to date, we are also achieving that objective. Last but not least, to educate people on golf and ettiquette. With so many pros around helping, I dare say we are doing fine on that front too.

We are of course far from established golf forums in USA. But we are barely past one year. We are still very much in the infancy stage. We would continue to think about ways to improve and bring in people who can contribute to our community. But, there is only so much we can do. Members outnumbered the volunteers. The forum is what the members made it to be and not us. This is your forum. How you want it to be very much depends on how you contribute. Alone, we are just a speck of sand with no significance. It is only with everyone's effort, the forum can amount to something.

Happy new year and I hope next year would be a better year and we can meet the high expectations of everyone. And I thank you all for the fantastic contributions be it posting or reading.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:22 pm

I think it's been said several times here, and countless times elsewhere. The forum is what the members make of it. I think this sums it up quite nicely.

On that note, I wonder where the threadstarter went off to?
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 am

Technospaz wrote:
I think it's been said several times here, and countless times elsewhere. The forum is what the members make of it. I think this sums it up quite nicely.

On that note, I wonder where the threadstarter went off to?

having a smoke some where? Very Happy

happy new year to everyone following this thread.

may the new year heralds in perfect pars, birdies, eagles, albatrosses and some say hole-in-one. 3 cheers to golf!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

future of GR? Empty
PostSubject: Re: future of GR?   future of GR? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

future of GR?
Page 1 of 1