Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Future of Golf in Singapore

Go down 
+20
golferx
shorthitter
icta
artchang00
paul@golf
kennyky
dexter06
nutty88
neutralgolfer
pocketace
TDO
jetster
simoner
chien
WILL33
poresia
enwee
Turbo
jmchan
Nomad
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nomad
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Nomad

The Future of Golf in Singapore Empty
PostSubject: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:11 pm

The Future of Golf in Singapore Imagepng
Back to top Go down
Nomad
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Nomad

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:15 pm

So MBGC and Keppel are going to close at the end of Lease to provide MORE bloody Condo's.
It's hard enough to get Tee Times now.
Sad Very Sad.
Back to top Go down
jmchan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:17 pm

MBGC will 'sort of' move to SICC Bukit location. So it is really only Keppel that will disappear from Singapore Golf
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:34 pm

I think they will use the cow grass course of the SICC Bukit outlet for public use and leave the better course for its members ... Definitely not on par with the burmuda grass of the existing MBGC ...
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Turbo wrote:
I think they will use the cow grass course of the SICC Bukit outlet for public use and leave the better course for its members ... Definitely not on par with the burmuda grass of the existing MBGC ...
If I'm not wrong bukit is cow grass.
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Looks like have to go back to my regime of wake up 4.30am, meet 5.15am, head to Johore for 6am breakfast and 7am tee off.
Back to top Go down
WILL33
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
WILL33

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Both the courses at the bukit location is on cow grass.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm

enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:

The 3.5  18 holes courses of SICC are cow grass, nice ones tho...

They are still working out which of the Bukit courses to be given to union, either Sime or Bukit...

I personally enjoy Bukit...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 pm

chien wrote:
enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:

The 3.5  18 holes courses of SICC are cow grass, nice ones tho...

They are still working out which of the Bukit courses to be given to union, either Sime or Bukit...

I personally enjoy Bukit...
Apparently it's Sime
Back to top Go down
jetster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 pm

I just noticed that OCC also won't 'last' long...
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 am

When SICC give up one of the 18 to Union I wonder if the golfing fees would be still "Affordable"?  scratch 
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 am

It's probably wishful thinking but I hope they returf to Bermuda grass for the course to be ran by the Union next time.

The green keeper at MBFG course is doing a sterling job keeping the fairways and greens in such great condition. I hope they retain that quality in future at Sime (or Bukit)
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am

pocketace wrote:
It's probably wishful thinking but I hope they returf to Bermuda grass for the course to be ran by the Union next time.

The green keeper at MBFG course is doing a sterling job keeping the fairways and greens in such great condition. I hope they retain that quality in future at Sime (or Bukit)

To returf to bermuda grass will need another 2-3 years to do it. Needs proper drainage system.
I bet they won't do it.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 am

Actually what about opening Pulau Ubin and develop into another resort with Golf course(s)? Need not be fanciful like Sentosa, just keep it basic. Don't think we are using P Ubin for residential / commercial needs for the next few decades

Just thinking aloud
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 am

enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:

SICC Bukit Timah outlet has two courses - Sime and Bukit ... I have played in Sime before and it is cow grass. Am not sure if Bukit is also cow grass ... Over at SICC Upper Thomson outlet, Island course has been renovated a few years ago and it is using Burmuda grass.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 am

Seems like Seletar will be a better buy for those considering a membership with the extension.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am

Turbo wrote:
enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:

SICC Bukit Timah outlet has two courses - Sime and Bukit ... I have played in Sime before and it is cow grass. Am not sure if Bukit is also cow grass ... Over at SICC Upper Thomson outlet, Island course has been renovated a few years ago and it is using Burmuda grass.

Island course is still cow grass mate.. The nice one you referring to is perhaps the New Course, both at Island Location (Thomson)...

There are 3.5   18 holes cow grass courses.... The one which would be given to the Union would most likely be Sime, though discussions are still underway (if not Bukit)..

I was at one of the briefing sessions, and from what I heard, I believe the direction has already been set for less golf courses in the future.  Come 2030/40, more courses would not have their leases extended.. 

The good news is Govt is still mindful to provide public courses alternatives..  Pulau Ubin would be ideal TS, though not sure how the nature protagonists would view it..  Laughing
Back to top Go down
dexter06
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dexter06

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 am

nutty88 wrote:
Seems like Seletar will be a better buy for those considering a membership with the extension.

I agree
Back to top Go down
kennyky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 am

The future of golf in Singapore does not look good at all ....
Less golf courses, remaining the overly expensive ones ...
The new MBGC will be even more crowded and maybe more expensive ...
in 7 years will have to quit golf =p
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm

chien wrote:
Turbo wrote:
enwee wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Island course is still cow grass mate.. The nice one you referring to is perhaps the New Course, both at Island Location (Thomson)...

There are 3.5   18 holes cow grass courses.... The one which would be given to the Union would most likely be Sime, though discussions are still underway (if not Bukit)..

Thanks for the correction, mate ...  Smile
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm

With e going of golf courses in Spore, tis will definitely benefit other regional countries within our reach.......
Back to top Go down
artchang00
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm

jetster wrote:
I just noticed that OCC also won't 'last' long...

I'm really surprised that OCC is until only 2030 as it is 'owned' by PAP's NTUC.  If the bosses can't play half the club at SICC, why should the labourers play after that too?  

And I also thought that with OCC being next to the reservoir (like Seletar), it would be safer but then, those condos being built and selling out so fast, it's good money to the government's coffers.

Yes, Seletar's next to the airport and nothing much can be done (residential development) there.  

I guess, I should be happy I have another 17 years left with OCC.  Maybe by that time, I'd earn enough to retire to somewhere cooler or stay somewhere cooler with cheaper golf courses...
Back to top Go down
icta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 pm

RCC is another hidden gem. Hopefully, it will be untouched.
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 pm

"One of the four courses at the Singapore Island Country Club (SICC) will be converted for public use after its lease expires in 2021. This is in line with the Government's move to put less-utilised golf course land to more efficient use while keeping golf accessible to the public, national servicemen and the labour movement. In addition, part of TMCC's Garden Course will be acquired for Changi Airport's new taxiways by the end of this year, said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore and the Singapore Land Authority." unquote
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:23 pm

icta wrote:
RCC is another hidden gem. Hopefully, it will be untouched.
I think as long as "Motar Hill" is still around RCC is safe. Who would want to build an industrial building next to a bombing ground.
Beer 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Future of Golf in Singapore   The Future of Golf in Singapore I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Future of Golf in Singapore
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next