Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The future of golf gear?

Go down 
+11
tronos
abadan
renode
Turbo
mloy
costajos
eiji
entity
kamen
DRGjr72
Technospaz
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

The future of golf gear? Empty
PostSubject: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am

It's been bothering me for a while that there's far more hype in golfing gear than necessary. Golf clubs are becoming increasingly fancy and "bling'd," and are blatantly marketed to the masses. There's so much which goes into promoting the gear that I wonder if this is because the technology behind golf equipment is slowly plateauing. Simply, can they improve a driver or an iron much more than what they've done right now (within the confines of golfing rules)?

Don't get me wrong, I know that there's a lot of R&D which goes takes place and there are improvements in the gear. But, I suspect that a lot of money also goes into making a club more like a shiny item than a technological golfing marvel.

Perhaps it's also me getting older and preferring the retro look. There's a lot to be said about simplicity and how it does just as well (if not better than) clubs which look like they were designed in the Mad Hatter's garage.

The future of golf gear? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYoH46puvjRWbczYIpwkxewGIgPV9vDE74Me-AlF-20dRminYu vs The future of golf gear? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgnxPnZO8bsum3CEpbXTLf4icKKlOzYVtYZ2MUk4-ImkCMHuY5
(Pictures from Thesandtrap.com)

Thoughts?

PS. No offence to Nike. They build great clubs but the VRS Covert looks like something which Ripley should have used against the Queen.
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 am

I remember when the Great Big Bertha was a "massively huge" golf club. Now it is can be as large as some 3 woods. So nothing really surprises me any longer with golf clubs, bling, and tech.

The bling and aesthetics are essentially differentiators between brands as the limits have pretty much been reached and the "tech" side of the clubs have to fall within those constraints. Now the companies are figuring out was to tinker with the clubs to get whatever characteristics they deem "latest and greatest" technology in the club, and out there in a marketable fashion. Plus they have to create new sales as the product cycles have sped up in order to feed the beast. One of the ways to do that is to make minor tech changes (that seem major) then make some cosmetic changes and presto....the latest, greatest club appears again. Some are much better at the scheme than others.

I am open to either a blinged club or a classic looking one. While I do prefer the more classic looking clubs, it does not matter that much to me as long as when I set it up behind the ball I can deal with the look and it performs. Performance for me is the essential factor as even the ugliest club can look a lot better if it works time and again. Promise me an extra 15 and in the fairway, I will try it out and if it works...it would most likely make it to the bag, regardless of the appearance.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

It always tickles me to see the amount of once touted 'Limited' & 'Wonder Clubs' from previous years being lelonged for next to nothing at second-hand shops. Am considering getting a couple in mintier condition, chop the heads off and use as paper weights. LOL!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am

kamen wrote:
It always tickles me to see the amount of once touted 'Limited' & 'Wonder Clubs' from previous years being lelonged for next to nothing at second-hand shops. Am considering getting a couple in mintier condition, chop the heads off and use as paper weights. LOL!

That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind using an old putter head (I have an ancient Ping B60) which would be a nice paperweight Smile
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:16 am

Technospaz wrote:
kamen wrote:

That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind using an old putter head (I have an ancient Ping B60) which would be a nice paperweight Smile

Agreed bro, putters are great candidates to 'operate' on. Currently I'm short-listing some Japanese drivers to chop Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:20 am

Oops left out, wedges are great too! Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

Is it suddenly gusting with wind here? My papers do not seem to need an extra weight holding them down... Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am

DRGjr72 wrote:
I remember when the Great Big Bertha was a "massively huge" golf club. Now it is can be as large as some 3 woods. So nothing really surprises me any longer with golf clubs, bling, and tech.

The bling and aesthetics are essentially differentiators between brands as the limits have pretty much been reached and the "tech" side of the clubs have to fall within those constraints. Now the companies are figuring out was to tinker with the clubs to get whatever characteristics they deem "latest and greatest" technology in the club, and out there in a marketable fashion. Plus they have to create new sales as the product cycles have sped up in order to feed the beast. One of the ways to do that is to make minor tech changes (that seem major) then make some cosmetic changes and presto....the latest, greatest club appears again. Some are much better at the scheme than others.

I am open to either a blinged club or a classic looking one. While I do prefer the more classic looking clubs, it does not matter that much to me as long as when I set it up behind the ball I can deal with the look and it performs. Performance for me is the essential factor as even the ugliest club can look a lot better if it works time and again. Promise me an extra 15 and in the fairway, I will try it out and if it works...it would most likely make it to the bag, regardless of the appearance.

Dan, the club makers always promise something. If it's not extra distance, it's greater control. If it's not greater control, better launch. It's always something. But whether that actually is the case, I'm not always sure. In any event, like many other things, it's all about the marketing.

Sadly, however, removing vowels from a word does not make a club good.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am

Haha, in our climatic-controlled world today paper weights no longer serve their original purpose as much, but more as trinkets to be fiddled with and as conversational objects.

Last edited by kamen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am

after changing countless drivers and shafts...i have went from hitting it 160m with a big slice to a relatively consistent 200-210m with a 20m left and right dispersion. the future of my golf scores lies with the swing...the reason why I still buy new golf gear is to keep the interest in golf alive.

from a golf equipment slut: If I cannot buy new equipment and play new equipment...play golf ff!
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm

eiji wrote:
after changing countless drivers and shafts...i have went from hitting it 160m with a big slice to a relatively consistent 200-210m with a 20m left and right dispersion. the future of my golf scores lies with the swing...the reason why I still buy new golf gear is to keep the interest in golf alive.

from a golf equipment slut: If I cannot buy new equipment and play new equipment...play golf ff!

yes i think thats part of the allure of golfing... buying and trying something new
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

costajos wrote:
eiji wrote:

yes i think thats part of the allure of golfing... buying and trying something new

Most golfers change their equipments rather frequently. I hardly change mine. Does that mean that I am not a true blue golfer?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Females prefer to buy lingerie, hand bags and shoes ... That is the main reason as to why there are not a wide range of equipment for women locally ...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:37 pm

mloy wrote:
costajos wrote:
eiji wrote:

Most golfers change their equipments rather frequently. I hardly change mine. Does that mean that I am not a true blue golfer?

Yes, you rarely change your equipment. But you do make changes.

Unfortunately, however, you're using a bunch of golf-sluts for comparison. Compared to these folks (me included), you look prehistoric.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Turbo wrote:
Females prefer to buy lingerie, hand bags and shoes ... That is the main reason as to why there are not a wide range of equipment for women locally ...

Honestly I don't really shop for handbags, shoes etc I shop for those only when I need to. But I like to go to golf shop to look see look see.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Turbo wrote:

Actually, I disagree. I suspect that the main reason why there is a limited range of golf equipment for women locally is simply because there aren't as many lady golfers. To have a good selection, you'll need to have sufficient demand. If not, it's not worthwhile.

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, unfortunately. If there was a better selection, we may have more lady golfers. If we have more lady golfers, we'd have a better selection.
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Actually, I disagree. I suspect that the main reason why there is a limited range of golf equipment for women locally is simply because there aren't as many lady golfers. To have a good selection, you'll need to have sufficient demand. If not, it's not worthwhile.

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, unfortunately. If there was a better selection, we may have more lady golfers. If we have more lady golfers, we'd have a better selection.

That is why I custom fit my clubs Razz
Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Agreed with the above scenario.

My gf buys her golf clubs from Tokyo, Japan because there is a big market of lady golfers there. We went holiday there and shopped for golf stuff, just bought a second hand Mizuno JPX ladies driver since there is a big second hand market for ladies clubs. She always lament to me she can't find suitable clubs here.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm

mloy wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Oooooooooooooo Razz
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:36 pm

mloy wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

aaaaaaaahhhh!! now i know how u can outdrive all 3 guys in ur flight and hit ur approach shots so close for tap in birdies. or even in the hole for eagles! Razz
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm

abadan wrote:
mloy wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

aaaaaaaahhhh!! now i know how u can outdrive all 3 guys in ur flight and hit ur approach shots so close for tap in birdies. or even in the hole for eagles! Razz

i see you've been mloyed... has she done monica shots as well? those are like trick shots...
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm

costajos wrote:
abadan wrote:
mloy wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

i see you've been mloyed... has she done monica shots as well? those are like trick shots...

YESS!!! I have been mloyed! BADLY TOO!! hahaha. no monica/trick shots required cus her drives were long and straight, and approach shots were deadly accurate. hahaha. only holes she didn't score well were those she hit over the greens cos of her power. Wink

But its an honor to be beaten by a better player. Have to lose graciously. Well done Mon! i will have my rematch soon! keke :p
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm

abadan wrote:
costajos wrote:
abadan wrote:
mloy wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
Turbo wrote:

YESS!!! I have been mloyed! BADLY TOO!! hahaha. no monica/trick shots required cus her drives were long and straight, and approach shots were deadly accurate. hahaha. only holes she didn't score well were those she hit over the greens cos of her power. Wink

But its an honor to be beaten by a better player. Have to lose graciously. Well done Mon! i will have my rematch soon! keke :p

yea know what you mean... my status says it all...
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Hahaha. OK back to the topic.

The profit margins for golf clubs are ridiculously high. They just wanna make us buy and buy and they're shitting bricks now cus the fakes are getting better and better and are selling like hotcakes.

All I know is. I hit my old driver longer and better than some of the current drivers out on e market now. And a buddy of mine still bombs 300+m drives w an 8 yr old Cleveland launcher.

Like Dan said. As long as it works. It's gg in the bag.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm

fashion accessories.

Golf is getting more and more younger orientated and fashion is very important factor. bombing a drive 300m with a 983k and stock shaft is less cool than bombing a drive 300m with a 913 D2 with a Tour AD shaft.

If only DWD gears are not so expensive....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of golf gear?   The future of golf gear? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The future of golf gear?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next