Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recommendations needed

Go down 
+7
clarencekim
sunny
Ken_
hillgreen
nientsu
Technospaz
skie
11 posters
AuthorMessage
skie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Recommendations needed Empty
PostSubject: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

Hi all,

I'm totally new to the game and would love your experienced views on the ladies' golf sets available in the market today.

Callaway Gems
Mizuno Efil
Maruman Figaro

Which set would you recommend for a beginner who's just starting out? I have tried to search for reviews on the sets as listed above but to no avail.

Thank you so much in advance! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:46 am

Firstly, welcome to the forums Smile

When you say starting out, have you had lessons yet or are you planning to have lessons? Instead of spending on a brand new set, you may want to consider a 2nd hand ladies' set. I think Creative Golf (Joe) as a Ping G5 Ladies Set which is a pretty good set for starters.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:47 am

Cant go wrong with Mizunos, or mizzies as I wud fondly call them Laughing

But bare in mind a set of mizzies would set you bk around $1k approx.

So if you are unsure about continuing in the game (hanging on the fence), my advise is to get a second hand set. If however, you are hooked to it like all the 'addicts' here. My advise is to get a new set, and get yourself fitted at the golf shop.

My preference is Mizzies as I love them. But don take my word for it. Go try all of them and decide wats best for yourself.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

Yeah... I will also choose Mizuno and Maruman... very forgiving set....

In terms of resale value out of the 2 above, think Mizuno will be the better one
Back to top Go down
skie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm

I am currently taking lessons. Have tried to search around 2nd hand shops @ Far East but it didn't yield any good sets. My instructor likes the Mizuno set as well but it doesn't come with any hybrids and I am unsure if the missing hybrids play an important role during gameplay.

Technospaz wrote:
Firstly, welcome to the forums Smile

When you say starting out, have you had lessons yet or are you planning to have lessons? Instead of spending on a brand new set, you may want to consider a 2nd hand ladies' set. I think Creative Golf (Joe) as a Ping G5 Ladies Set which is a pretty good set for starters.
Thank you to all who have responded! Beer
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Check out Creative Golf too for 2nd hand sets.
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi skie, welcome to Golf Republic!

I think all 3 sets you highlighted sounds like decent/good choices...

My wife bought a Mizuno Zephyr set some years ago, and she's still using it. Does not play much, and is still a beginner, but she still does not feel the need to change, because it is still in good condition, and she likes it.

My sis bought a Maruman set at the same time (can't remember the name) and one thing we noticed is that the Maruman set is lighter than the Mizuno. My sis likes it because of the lighter weight, and she's also still using it.

Last year, my sis comtemplated the Callaway GEMS set, because of the driver, and the chipper (she's always interested in the chipper). The GEMS set also comes with a small 2-ball putter, which is really nice.

I think any of the sets should be decent investments. If you have the time, go to the places where you can ask to demo the clubs. For GEMS, check with the Pan West outlets at the ranges (there used to be Pan West at Orchid Country Club and Marina Bay), not sure where else have them now. I think Sembawang Country Club has a Pan West. Do call them to ask if you can demo the clubs before going down.

For Maruman, you can try Green Fairways (my sis tried out her clubs there).

For Mizuno, you can check with Golf House if you can hit any demo clubs. They don't have outlets at any range but I'm sure you can hit demos at their in-house net hitting areas. Just see if you like the feel of the clubs.

Oh yes, I was under the impression that all the new sets from Mizuno and Maruman has a hybrid in their set. The Efil set I see listed in the Mizuno website in China (can't read Jap) shows that the set comes with a 5-hybrid. Is the Efil set you are looking at an older set?

Even then, you can always buy a hybrid separately for around $200 or so.

If you are small build, I suggest Mizuno or Maruman, as these are usually designed for Japanese ladies, who are similar builds to asians. Between Mizuno and Maruman, I would prefer Mizuno, because they have excellent clubs for all ranges, up to serious and professional golfers.

Just my 2 cents. Razz
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:41 pm

welcome to GR skie, nice to see you inside here.

You could always try out moon's tm irons. It is reasonably cheap and comes with hybrid replacement for longer irons. It is quite easy as she had been using it since she started learning and had no complains too.

I am personally a mizuno fan and i think mizuno should be good but i cannot tell cos i never hit a mizzie ladies' set before.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 4:04 pm

OCC now World of Golf.

MBGC now MST.

The older Maruman golf clubs of 10 years ago were as good as the low-end Mizzies back then.

Today, some Mizzie owners would be shocked to have their clubs compared to Marumans--more like compare Maruman clubs to to Dunlop, Bridgstone, Yamaha or Wilson.

My wife and I were happy as beginners with Maruman 10 years ago then as they were much cheaper than Mizunos. (Okay no jibes you guys about how long I have been hacking over 100+!)

Try before you buy as sometimes the mere appearence of the clubs may inspire more confidence than another set. A big part of playing well is having confidence in your swing and your equipment for whatever reasons.

CK

Last edited by clarencekim on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 4:05 pm

clarencekim wrote:
Try before you buy as sometimes the mere appearence of the clubs may inspire more confidence than another set. A big part of playing well is having confidence in your swing and your equipment for whatever reasons.

This is definitely true. Some clubs may be fantastic to others but may not process well with you. Best to try them out first (if you can) before committing.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 5:08 pm

mizunos...great irons.

marumans- good irons.

callaway- popular irons

and i love mizuno..

go with something along ur budget. since ur new.. u may pick up the game, u may not.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:34 pm

chocoman wrote:
mizunos...great irons.

marumans- good irons.

callaway- popular irons

and i love mizuno..

go with something along ur budget. since ur new.. u may pick up the game, u may not.

Mizunos are actually really good for beginners, but be selective Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:59 pm

thanks buddy...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eltonteo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm

skie wrote:
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the game and would love your experienced views on the ladies' golf sets available in the market today.

Callaway Gems
Mizuno Efil
Maruman Figaro

Which set would you recommend for a beginner who's just starting out? I have tried to search for reviews on the sets as listed above but to no avail.

Thank you so much in advance! Very Happy
I am a beginner too. I won't be able to advise you much, but you might wish to give the following some thoughts:

1) If money is not a issue, which brand and clubs you like better in terms of looks?
2) Which clubs you feel more comfortable holding them and swinging them?
3) Which brand you like better in terms of branding and what can it bring out the style in you? (Just like would you choose LV or Prada?)

I would say hybrid or not it does not matter coz as you progress on, you can always add them on. Just buy a new set if money is not a problem as it will make you feel better and play better. Its just like you would never want a 2nd hand LV bag if you can afford a new one. Just go with your heart on what you like. When you feel good, you will play better. And if you don't play better, at least you will try to be better rather than blaming on the 2nd hand clubs.

Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers! Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 1:15 am

1) If money is not a issue, which brand and clubs you like better in terms of looks?
looks, definitely japanese brands wins hands down, be it mizuno, ikasu, miura, etc. i like the minimalistic styling of japanese clubs, as compared to the very noisy clubs such as titleist AP2, callaway X series.. etc..

2) Which clubs you feel more comfortable holding them and swinging them?
my own clubs Very Happy

3) Which brand you like better in terms of branding and what can it bring out the style in you? (Just like would you choose LV or Prada?)
titties Titleist
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 am

whether hybrid play an important part in your game depends on your skill level. Since u just started learning, the hybrid may give you shorter distance than you 7 iron. If you think you will stay with this sport, then soon you will be changing your clubs. if you are still unsure if you want to continue with this sport, giving you any clubs will still be a waste when you actually stop golf.

Hybrid is a good to have for now, since you are looking at getting a complete set, there will be wood in them that you can practise with.

Identify what you need and the rest are good to have for now.

Thats how I go about with my purchases... Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 am

I used to question the need for hybrids. Being a more traditional player (and having laid off the sport for 10+ years), hybrids were completely alien to me. Irons were to way to go. However, I picked up the TM Burner Rescue 25˚ and was immediately hooked. It played well. More recently, I got the Cleveland Launcher 20.5˚ and that was a life-saver too.

Now, I really believe that hybrids are a must for new golfers and high handicappers. Heck, even pros carry hybrids.

But before you decide if it's essential in your bag, I would say that you need to spend time working on your irons first. Once you've firmed up your swing with the irons, you can progress to the hybrids. IMHO, irons are the basic clubs which everyone should master. If you can get your swing with your irons fluid, you can have a better chance at the hybrids. Remember that hybrids are generally replacements for longer irons and shorter woods.
Back to top Go down
skie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:53 am

A BIG thank you to all who have replied! Very Happy Your opinions and views have been such a great help in helping me make a decision.

Happy golfing everyone! Swing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommendations needed   Recommendations needed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommendations needed
Page 1 of 1