Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How can I turn more in my back swing?

Go down 
+7
skybobo
golf_snowman
alvinlee
duffader
ghoonk
eiji
TigaWood
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

How can I turn more in my back swing? Empty
PostSubject: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I am doing half swing most of the time.
How can I increase my turn (Back Swing)to at least 3/4 if not full?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Stretching or Yoga to increase flexibility?
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Colin, see a coach. Sometimes we think we hit half swing, but on video, the swing is actually a full swing. I find that my arms only go to the 10.30 position, but because of my wrist hinge, the shaft almost gets to parallel. What matters after that is really in generating lag consistently, which will get you the power and distance that you may be looking for.
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:24 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Colin, see a coach. Sometimes we think we hit half swing, but on video, the swing is actually a full swing. I find that my arms only go to the 10.30 position, but because of my wrist hinge, the shaft almost gets to parallel. What matters after that is really in generating lag consistently, which will get you the power and distance that you may be looking for.

Ghoonk, My video shows I am turning at 50%, if I turn to 3/4 swing I can increase my distant to another 20m.
But I am having problem doing that, because my waist has thicken!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Show me your swing
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 2:30 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Show me your swing

I load up tonight, if I can do it.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 3:22 pm

point your right foot outwards..
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 3:29 pm

lift your left heel up to allow you to turn more...should work.
But then again if your swing works, why do you bother with that extra bit of swing?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 pm

seebayho wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

Ghoonk, My video shows I am turning at 50%, if I turn to 3/4 swing I can increase my distant to another 20m.

bro

swing is more on shoulder, nothing to do with waist lah...plenty of PGA player had lot more waist....ops !!...haha

Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm

1. turn your head more
2. lift up your left heel which will encourage a bigger hip turn
3. focus on turning your right hip

but by doing all the above 3, you will lose the coil aka x factor Smile
oh better let short hitter explain
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 pm

alvinlee wrote:
lift your left heel up to allow you to turn more...should work.
But then again if your swing works, why do you bother with that extra bit of swing?

I juuuuussssst need 20M more
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
seebayho wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

bro

swing is more on shoulder, nothing to do with waist lah...plenty of PGA player had lot more waist....ops !!...haha

Yah hor, never thought of it! but hip can help oso mah. so turn both
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:09 pm

sbh,

there are certain things that we cant turn back the clock......

mobility/agility goes with age....

yoga/pilates are good exercises to prolong them....

Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:21 am

Perhaps you could consider decreasing how wide your stance is usually (i.e. feet closer together)?

A friend of mine did this new adjustment just last week cos he's not getting enough coil (wider stance = more stability but limits the body turn). First tried it at range on last Wed and recent Sat game on course he said it worked. He was able to hit longer irons dist and he bombed a few drives damn damn far! (think he mentioned that standing taller also gave him straighter shots)

Not sure if it'll work for you and I'm no expert but hope the tip can help your situation. In any case, this is a minor adjustment and should not affect your swing mechanics (risk of swing screw up is hedged.. heh) Very Happy

All da best bro!
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

seebayho wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
seebayho wrote:
ghoonk wrote:

bro

Yah hor, never thought of it! but hip can help oso mah. so turn both

haha..bro go slowly lor

start from 1/2 swing, then gradually increase, let your body slowly get muscle train for the coil..
put ur camera into action, for every slight increase of backswing, film it down and see how far back you are..then gradually increase until you reach your target or reach your limit...keke
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Colin - how far are you hitting your 7i? Are you willing to compromise accuracy for marginal increase in distance? It may not just be having to turn more -- power does not come only from the length of one's swing, but also from the amount of lag generated, as well as the clubhead speed through impact, and the latter doesn't have that much to do with speed

I have seen people with long backswings generate slower swing speeds that people with compact backswings (one could describe them as 3/4 backswing), with the latter generating more distance. What you want is more clubhead speed, not a longer swing -- there's a difference
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:33 pm

My 7i roll and carry is 130-140 meter.
The moment I increase swing speed, all hell break lose.
So I guess with a bigger turn and maintaining the same tempo will increase the distant.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:35 pm

ghoonk wrote:
power does not come only from the length of one's swing, but also from the amount of lag generated, as well as the clubhead speed through impact, and the latter doesn't have that much to do with speed

I have seen people with long backswings generate slower swing speeds that people with compact backswings (one could describe them as 3/4 backswing), with the latter generating more distance. What you want is more clubhead speed, not a longer swing -- there's a difference

Fully agree with ghoonk on this. As I have mentioned before it is not possible to generate clubhead speed and lag with a "cupped" left wrist and an open club face as in the pic below so turning more isnt the answer to your illusive 20 metres gain
How can I turn more in my back swing? Cupper10
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi Paul, I always take your advice at heart.
I started to have a personal trainer and flexibility training after you have pointed out.
I did pay attention to my cupped wrist, but it don't seem to make any different.
Shall look into it again. Thanks Paul.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 pm

Colin,I do not advocate a bowed left wrist and closed clubface as is the case with Dustin Johnson but I think you need to feel more like him at the top. Its the opposite of your situation. He sure hits it damn long and generates alot of lag and clubhead speed
How can I turn more in my back swing? Dustin10
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

wow...shall try to feel that at SSN tonight..=)
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 5:56 pm

seebayho wrote:
So I guess with a bigger turn and maintaining the same tempo will increase the distant.

yardage looks about right -- 7i is around 155 yards, which is good.

Don't screw around with that. How is your hybrid and fariway woods? Hitting them well and long and straight? if not, work on that area, as it will help with your approach quality, which will bring your scores down when matched with a good short game
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Colin,I do not advocate a bowed left wrist and closed clubface as is the case with Dustin Johnson but I think you need to feel more like him at the top. Its the opposite of your situation. He sure hits it damn long and generates alot of lag and clubhead speed
How can I turn more in my back swing? Dustin10

looking at the pic, it appears to be a one-plane swing, but the shaft angle is very steep -- am assuming he's hitting with a short iron/ wedge?
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:58 pm

ghoonk wrote:
seebayho wrote:

yardage looks about right -- 7i is around 155 yards, which is good.

Don't screw around with that. How is your hybrid and fariway woods? Hitting them well and long and straight? if not, work on that area, as it will help with your approach quality, which will bring your scores down when matched with a good short game

It's more of a 130M for 7i.
My shorts are quite ok except in length.
My driver carrys about 200M.
So most of the time I have to settle for boggie game.
if my short game is out of sync, it will be game over.
Always playing in the high 80s
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 pm

so you and I are pretty much in the same boat... you want to hear how I'm trying to overcome this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I turn more in my back swing?   How can I turn more in my back swing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How can I turn more in my back swing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next