Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Playing fm rough

Go down 
+10
bomby
Gray
Khorkar
daveaha
Slicer51
ghoonk
mengteck71
alex khoo
Tituman
Duval_S
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:28 pm

In addition to many other golf problems which I have, one pretty constant one is playing fm rough. Any tips will be eternally grateful.

so here is the scenario:

Ball sitting in thick rough....3/4 ball sitting down.....grass growing against swing directioin.....

Question: Any guidelines on whether how to play this? PResently I shy away fm my hybrid becos my club get stuck...so I punch out...but fiffy fiffy chance (50/50) of flying it.

Similarly grass growing towards the swing direction.......how ah? any guidelines?

Thanks....

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Steeper angle of attack and hit harder. Thats how I do it when I am in that situation. Now lets see what other experts offer.
Back to top Go down
alex khoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:41 pm

open clubface. steeper aoa. ball back abit. use high lofted club. hit hard
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Direction of grass has no bearing on the shot type?
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 7:31 pm

take a lofted club and layup. At least its planned for and expected. So mentally you wont be discouraged, as compared to a bad shot.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 pm

if ball is sitting deep (i.e grass to equator or higher), i prefer to use 7i or shorter to get out and back on fairway. If the ball is sitting up nicely, i'd attack with my long irons.

If grass is growing against the direction of my swing, then i'd use a 3/4 swing and punch out

following through the shot in important. have made some bad shot in the past because i was not committed to the shot and failed to follow-through completely
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Duval_S wrote:
In addition to many other golf problems which I have, one pretty constant one is playing fm rough. Any tips will be eternally grateful.

so here is the scenario:

Ball sitting in thick rough....3/4 ball sitting down.....grass growing against swing directioin.....

Question: Any guidelines on whether how to play this? PResently I shy away fm my hybrid becos my club get stuck...so I punch out...but fiffy fiffy chance (50/50) of flying it.

Similarly grass growing towards the swing direction.......how ah? any guidelines?

Thanks....

I am not expert but just wanted to share how I play this shot. It is a difficult lie as it in a thick rough 3/4 sitting down with grass growing against swing direction.

- Use the more lofted club in your bag ( enable the leading edge go underneath the ball )
- address ball position at the middle
- weight more to your left leg (right hand player) enable to get a sharper angle of attack
- swing up and down more and do not need to transfer much weight during down swing ( do not use your normal swing. If not, club hosel will catch the long grass and turn your club face .. ball will not advance )
- follow through low not high. (pls note ball will have top spin )

As for grass growing toward the swing direction. I use the same method since it is still in a long rough.. but ball can advance further.

Just my 2 cts
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks ALL....

With these, I can be abit more adventerous fm tee.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:46 am

I thought you're an expert in this... saw it myself on our last game... u're fine... don't worry... and don't confuse yourself more ! hahah
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 1:42 am

Question - Is it wrong to use a 3W or 5W in a situation where the a balls is kinda floating on the rough?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 am

If still far from the green, I just whack with my hybrid. If good shot, fly far far and save 1 stroke. If bad shot, then just roll 10 -30m infront also machum like punch it out mah.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 11:53 am

for me it depends on the lie. Plug too deep.. take the sand wedge and whack it into play. My thoughts in these situation is that LL. and try not to waste shots. I can try for the green, but more than normal it will land me into more trouble and blow the hole. Just concentrate on getting the ball back into play and hopefully still can have a short pitch shot and one putt to get par.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:16 pm

if the ball is sitting in, you'll need to take a steeper downswing as well.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Question - Is it wrong to use a 3W or 5W in a situation where the a balls is kinda floating on the rough?

HI KK, in your described situation, I would use what you have suggested as it would be like putting the ball on a tee. But in the situation as described by Duval, the ball is sitting in deep rough, meaning the ball sits at least half to 3/4 to even below the grass level. So a hybrid or wood will be hindered by the grass first and your club may not contact where you aimed at as it would be shifted by the time your club gets to the ball. So basically, steeper angle of attack, lofted club and hit hard. Its a matter now of getting the ball out rather than thinking of placing your ball or aiming for the green.
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 8:04 pm

It's even worst when the ball sitting 3/4 inside the rough at red stick hazard area.
How to deal with that when you can't ground the club...??
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 8:57 pm

ChrisD wrote:
It's even worst when the ball sitting 3/4 inside the rough at red stick hazard area.
How to deal with that when you can't ground the club...??

I do not know how other do but I would play the same as in a bunker .. this time club more up and down stroke ..... and then prayed ... Smile
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:15 pm

alex khoo wrote:

I thought we have to close the club face instead of open reason being that the grass will usually force the club face opened?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:28 pm

OK...I will take a picture of the rough which I am more afraid of and post it here........the one is macam the ones in Warren......I see already, my clubs also run away fm me....
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:39 pm

Duval_S wrote:
OK...I will take a picture of the rough which I am more afraid of and post it here........the one is macam the ones in Warren......I see already, my clubs also run away fm me....

If its those rough in warren, just punch and hope for the best. Thats what i do on most weekends.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:44 pm

nutty88 wrote:
alex khoo wrote:

I thought we have to close the club face instead of open reason being that the grass will usually force the club face opened?

Alex is right but not too open or you might create a push.

The long grass has a tendency to grab the hosel and turn the clubface left (assuming you are a right hander).

I just choke down a little and grip a little tighter. The more the ball is sitting down, the more loft you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Playing fm rough Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing fm rough   Playing fm rough I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Playing fm rough
Page 1 of 1