Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Locking' of right foot

Go down 
+12
Winston
weesern
mengteck71
asahi
Denis
bomby
travelsnapper
wilkang
daveaha
X-Man
yuki
golfjoy
16 posters
AuthorMessage
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

'Locking' of right foot Empty
PostSubject: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Just back from a range session @ Keppel with my mentor.
He pointed out my problem. But as much as he wanted to help ... there is just so 'much' he can do.
He told me to seek expert help! so here I am! Smile

He noticed that I tend to 'lock' my right foot as I swing back at the right.
My club always hits the ground on the right ... much much before it reaches the side of the ball.

Hmmm .... what should/can I do to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance. pig
Back to top Go down
yuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
yuki

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Go SSN to demo ur swing n those experts will advice u.. Smile
Back to top Go down
X-Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
X-Man

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:45 pm

1. Are you looking at the ball throughout the swing?

2. Is your head still? As in the same lateral position?

3. When you say you lock your right leg... You mean as you are turning, your right knee don't move at all? But your waist is still turning?

Disclaimer: I am not an expert... just hoping to help... Smile

By the way, why you so good life? Can go range during office hours? Razz
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:48 pm

golfjoy wrote:
Just back from a range session @ Keppel with my mentor.
He pointed out my problem. But as much as he wanted to help ... there is just so 'much' he can do.
He told me to seek expert help! so here I am! Smile

He noticed that I tend to 'lock' my right foot as I swing back at the right.
My club always hits the ground on the right ... much much before it reaches the side of the ball.

Hmmm .... what should/can I do to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance. pig

I should say, get a coach.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:49 pm

'Lock'??? Right foot???
that is interesting.. Neutral

What comes to mind is:
1) Handsy downswing
2) No weight transfer
3) No hips twisting

Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm

yuki wrote:
Go SSN to demo ur swing n those experts will advice u.. Smile

Shy ..... so many pple Embarassed
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:34 pm

X-Man wrote:
1. Are you looking at the ball throughout the swing?

2. Is your head still? As in the same lateral position?

3. When you say you lock your right leg... You mean as you are turning, your right knee don't move at all? But your waist is still turning?

Disclaimer: I am not an expert... just hoping to help... Smile

By the way, why you so good life? Can go range during office hours? Razz

1. I try to.
2. Something I m having trouble with.
3. The knee/leg straightens n locks. Waist turning.

Not good life? U know there's sthg called annual leave? Kekeke :p
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:37 pm

wilkang wrote:
'Lock'??? Right foot???
that is interesting.. Neutral

What comes to mind is:
1) Handsy downswing
2) No weight transfer
3) No hips twisting

1. Handsy?
2. Nod nod
3. Can't remember. Will take note. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
travelsnapper
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:53 pm

hmm...
interesting.

I've also have the same problem.. ie locking my right knee @ "get set" position.

Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 pm

First get a good coach. And I tend to find these video quite good but it will not solve ur problem but might allow u to see for yourself a good swing.

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-stop-hitting-fat

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-why-you-hit-fat
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Denis

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I had the same problem before. My coach told me that I locked my right knee going back and did a reverse pivot with my spine angle pointing towards the target, weight falls on the front foot.

I was told to maintain my right knee position to avoid any raising/locking/swaying going back... and subsequently try to maintain my spine angle also.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:13 pm

I had same problem, locked in the sense that right leg straight as i back swing. Coach told me to relax my right knee which I am consciously doing now.

Btw, you good life leh. Range when we are working. Razz
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

asahi wrote:

:
Btw, you good life leh. Range when we are working. Razz

HEEE Very Happy I also say!? :p

u can too lahhhh :-)
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm

get a coach that record your swing.. then watch the play back immediately and u will know where u went wrong.. easier to correct.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:40 pm

try not to turn your hips
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 pm

eeerrmmm...isnt locking of right knee on back swing = Stack & Tilt method?
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
get a coach that record your swing.. then watch the play back immediately and u will know where u went wrong.. easier to correct.

Yah, I should. Just not too sure if he has this.

Will pester him to do that the next lesson!
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 pm

bomby wrote:
First get a good coach. And I tend to find these video quite good but it will not solve ur problem but might allow u to see for yourself a good swing.

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-stop-hitting-fat

http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-why-you-hit-fat

This has been helpful!
Thank you bomby Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Rough guesstimate since no one has seen you swing Golfjoy, me included, even though you were just two bays away that day, is that you have a reverse weight shift going in your swing.

If you lock your right knee, your entire right leg is straight on the backswing and your left knee being bent, would result in your right side being higher than your left side on the backswing, ergo, head moves left in a reverse weight shift.

All that can happen on the downswing then is that your head will shift to the right, resulting in your right side then being lower than your left.

If you go back to the backswing where with your locked right knee you have a higher right side, then all that can happen is your clubhead crashing into the ground way before the ball on the downswing, since your right side at impact is lower than when it first started out.

Simple enough to understand? Smile

By the way, I'd like to know if you used a 'Yale' to lock your right foot? scratch

And you where got shy?????
scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
golfjoy
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 12:12 am

Birdman wrote:
Rough guesstimate since no one has seen you swing Golfjoy, me included, even though you were just two bays away that day, is that you have a reverse weight shift going in your swing.

If you lock your right knee, your entire right leg is straight on the backswing and your left knee being bent, would result in your right side being higher than your left side on the backswing, ergo, head moves left in a reverse weight shift.

All that can happen on the downswing then is that your head will shift to the right, resulting in your right side then being lower than your left.

If you go back to the backswing where with your locked right knee you have a higher right side, then all that can happen is your clubhead crashing into the ground way before the ball on the downswing, since your right side at impact is lower than when it first started out.

Simple enough to understand? Smile

By the way, I'd like to know if you used a 'Yale' to lock your right foot? scratch

And you where got shy?????
scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

Hi UNCLE Birdman bounce
Yup, it is simple enough to understand. Thank you.
But how do I correct this?
I tend to remember to do 'this' and forget 'that'.
Sometimes, I get totally 'confused' as to what I ought to be doing!?!?

I didn't use a 'Yale'. If it is not called lock ... errr how should I put it then? confused

Huh? You saw me ... we spoke a little.... me not shy meh!?!?!
I couldn't wait to get out of that place!!! Laughing ROFL
Back to top Go down
alex khoo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 4:06 am

squeeze your inner thigh muscle . u should be feeling that you are working on the inner side of your leg muscles and "lock" your lower body, relax the upper body and swing back. as you do so, you should feel that your leg knee (right handed golfer) is kicking in to point at the ball (not too much). Prevent your left sole from lifting off the surface, abit is ok.
my 2cents
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 am

You will straighten the right knee if you turn you hips too much. Just think of not turning your hip. It should stop your right knee from straightening.

In reality, your hips will still turn, just not as much
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

i) Lock your knees by point them inwards.
ii) Point your right foot inwards.

Just adjust to the right amount to make yourself comfortable. Another way its mental. Just tell yourself you are just going to do half or 3/4 swing. Keep telling yourself that, shorten swing, means less rotation, less rotation means less chances of straightening the right foot.

Above are ways that i used to correct my straightening previously.
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

maybe you focus too much on your turning your right hip to the back? this tend to cause your right leg to straighten.

my swing thoughts...left arm dictate the upswing which would in turn rotate my shoulders. all this is done WITHOUT conscientiously moving my legs/hips

as for the part of hitting behind the ball, birdman is right that its due to the reverse pivot or due to you trying ti "hit" the ball from the top of the back swing. this leads to you straightening your wrists too early as you come down.

hope that helps. do come to SSN so we can all give you 'live" inputs! i m learning more every week i go down Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Locking' of right foot   'Locking' of right foot I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Locking' of right foot
Page 1 of 1