Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Head movement

Go down 
+6
S70B
Ssquirrel
hillgreen
codered
Duval_S
ironstarz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 10:38 am

Contrary to what people around me always says keep your head frozen and look at the ball during the back swing, this article says move the head laterally, and by looking at the ball at back swing prob would causes chicken wing after impact.

Any comments

Head movement 0210
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 10:40 am

I have yet to see someone not move the head...(maybe I am not looking closely enough)
Back to top Go down
codered
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 am

Head moves, lateral only. Difference is how much - was told not more than 6 inches... How to measure? Dunno..
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Jeez so let put it this way head move but eye still peering at the ball ?
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Interesting and confusing..... Question

Interesting in that it can create a wider swing ...
Confusing in that it is really unconventional and contrary to popular believe in not moving the head..... Exclamation

I learn not to move my head... now maybe try to move my head to gain the extra distance... clown
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:47 pm

I think you can probably find another golf magazine that says something different about lateral head movement.

JMHO, but every month, the magazines must come up with tips/articles, and they cannot keep repeating the same stuff, if not ppl will stop buying the mag.
So read the mag/tips/articles, try out for yourself.. If it works, great, if not then move on try something else.

Of course some would say, don't trust the articles, see a coach, but self-discovery of what works and what doesn't by yourself is part of the joy of the your journey into golf. albino
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:57 pm

I stopped reading golf instructional articles for a few years already. They will start to contradict one another after a while.

The worst is Jim Flick on GD. That guy sometimes spouts the worst nonsense but tries to gain credibility by dropping names like Hogan, Nicklaus and Snead.

I agree with the self discovery method once in a while. You will find out what works and what not if you hit enuff balls.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 pm

I agree ... It's now like a trial error session . What works for some prob don't work for me.

Now i am trying to kill my chicken wing , but prob only in 1 week time will see my coach again to kill it off. meantime i'm desperate to try anything to kill that chicken wing!

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:52 pm

But I do try to not do the Creamer or Gulbis 's head movement.......if I do any remote resemblance, I will really lose my head (literally)
Back to top Go down
codered
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am

S70B wrote:

The worst is Jim Flick on GD. That guy sometimes spouts the worst nonsense but tries to gain credibility by dropping names like Hogan, Nicklaus and Snead.

I agree with the self discovery method once in a while. You will find out what works and what not if you hit enuff balls.

Fully support your view on Jim Flick....
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 8:07 pm

In response to Bro Duval's comment above, here is a video of Tiger Woods with his new swing. Tiger and his new swing coach, Sean Foley advocates almost zero lateral head movement during upswing.

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 2:22 am

Wow, did you see Tiger head dropped during his downswing ... Are we all doing that too ? .. I better check my swing again Swing
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:12 am

A reader once wrote in to a major US golf magazine asking the question why the previous month's tip contradicted another tip from the month before.

Like Ssquirrel mentioned, what might work for one person might not work for another, and therein lies the reason. Tips published are really band aids, and every golfer is on the constant lookout for a quick fix, not many have the time and dedication to devote to building a sound swing, most just want to play the game. And these tips have always proved popular, since most last for a short period of time before the magic wears out and the tips don't work anymore, leading the golfer to seek out the next quick fix.

Don't forget too that there are many different schools of thought on how best to swing the club. And one school's teachings may at times contradict another. Right or wrong, who's to say? Every school has some star student who's proved that the methodology works, evidenced by their succes on the pro tours. Again, like Ssquirrel said, it's the road of discovery, finding out what works best for you, be it a still head or moving one.

Finally, there is the evolution of the golf swing. Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods all had three very different swings, but all were the best players of their era with swings arguably considered the best of their generation. Jones swing was more wristy, Nicklaus had a reverse C finish, Tiger's swing uses the big muscles of the body with a straight back at the finish. Were any of them wrong? My point is, instruction has also evolved, what we don't realise is that some of these tips are relics of bygone era, they don't come with a foot note that says "circa 1965". And these tips have been floating around since golf was first played at St Andrews, passed from teacher to student and further filtered down by word of mouth, some have survived the test of time as 'classic' tips. Another reason for contradicting tips.

Take a look at some of the world class swings here and decide for yourself if you should move your head or not.

Lam Chih Bing
http://www.golfrepublic.org/swing-sequence-and-videos-f15/lam-chih-bing-s-swing-sequence-at-the-barclays-singapore-open-t2566.htm

Adam Scott
http://www.golfrepublic.org/swing-sequence-and-videos-f15/adam-scott-s-swing-sequence-at-the-barclay-s-singapore-open-t2251.htm

Ernie Els
http://www.golfrepublic.org/swing-sequence-and-videos-f15/ernie-els-swing-sequenced-in-photos-at-the-barclay-s-t2150.htm

Tiger Woods
http://www.golfrepublic.org/swing-sequence-and-videos-f15/how-about-some-tiger-woods-motion-of-his-past-swings-t2187.htm
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 am

ps - Guess I was wrong. The first post by ironstarz shows the tip from page 110 of Golf Digest circa February 1997.
Back to top Go down
cristel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
cristel

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 am

Bird, cant sleep ar!?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 am

Slicer51 wrote:
Wow, did you see Tiger head dropped during his downswing ... Are we all doing that too ? .. I better check my swing again Swing

Bro, the dropping of the head is a by product of another motion which is a power move called the 'squat'. If you look as Tiger starts his downswing, his knees separate, the left moving away from the right to create a bigger gap between his legs. In effect, he is driving his feet into the ground, creating resistance for the big muscles to swing against.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 am

cristel wrote:
Bird, cant sleep ar!?

Sleepy oredi, had to struggle to write coherently. You leh?
Back to top Go down
cristel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
cristel

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:28 am

working till 7am... zzz
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 3:30 am

cristel wrote:
working till 7am... zzz

Me sleeping now, good nite! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 11:08 am

Birdman wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Bro, the dropping of the head is a by product of another motion which is a power move called the 'squat'. If you look as Tiger starts his downswing, his knees separate, the left moving away from the right to create a bigger gap between his legs. In effect, he is driving his feet into the ground, creating resistance for the big muscles to swing against.

Birdman is absolutely right here! This is Tiger's signature downswing move. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Head movement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head movement   Head movement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Head movement
Page 1 of 1