Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Food thread

Go down 
+19
chinchiachun
Ssquirrel
Kopi Towkay
ironfist
siaw8
missmoon
slinger
22tang
nientsu
grooveballer
thejerrytan
DGman
S70B
Ken_
He
Technospaz
tronos
Duval_S
mervyntan
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello,

as we all know, Golf is an extremely physically demanding sport. walking around for 18 holes, swinging the club, it is not as easy as it sounds, and apparently, one can burn up to 2000 calories in a single golf game!

Why is it then, that so many of us golfers, still sport that beloved round tummy.. people like Kenny Perry, John Daly, and our most favourite one, Christina Kim!!! clown

Well, I guess its because we love our food very much... bounce

so..., let me start the ball rolling in this thread dedicated to all foodies in this GR community...

I for one... love to eat Mee Pok... and my favourite Mee Pok stall is located at this quaint little coffeeshop opposite Mustafa centre.. i am not too sure what the road name is.. but it is quite near desker road and sam leong road...

The mee pok there is fabulous... the noodles are never overcooked to become soggy, or undercooked, which will give you that baking soda taste... they are always cooked perfectly and crisp to the bite...

furthermore.. the chili there is fantastic.. just taking a look at it, u know that the chili is different from the rest... the chili there is darker than normal chili, which is reddish.. the chili there is actually closer to the colour of dark caramel chocolate... this is due to the addition of buah keluak.. and it makes the chili fantastically delicious and fragrant..

if that's not enough... they also add fried dried salted sole fish to the noodle.. to give it that savoury taste when u bite into it.. the teochew name for this thing is "tee poh"

on top of that... they offer u the option of adding fried pork lard to round off the sinfully delicious bowl of mee pok... just describing all this is making my mouth water to no end... too bad the stall is already closed at this time (7.45pm)

also... the soup there with the fish dumplings is one of a kind... if u are one of those who misses the fish dumplings that we had in the past... this is one place to get it...

yum yum...

i may be no golf guru... but food........... mmmmmm...

king
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 8:18 pm

I am actually a hardcore nasi lemak fanatic. Favorite hunt used to be labrador park hawker ctr but since bo liao..since the close down.
Nowsdays, if anyone like me, recommend try the nasi lemak opposite great world..the corner shop nearest to Zion hawker ctr.....equally JAM
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Pongol nasi lemak at Katong....the best i eaten so far but open at night only till late (till 3am i think). Always got queue but short wait. The chilli is one of the best, can take as much as you like, the fired chicken wing is crunchy.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 pm

tronos wrote:
Pongol nasi lemak at Katong....the best i eaten so far but open at night only till late (till 3am i think). Always got queue but short wait. The chilli is one of the best, can take as much as you like, the fired chicken wing is crunchy.

Tronos, one of these days if you do come to JB, I'll take you to eat good nasi lemak. I stay in Katong and I've eaten that nasi lemak before. I think it's only ok and quite pricey. Nasi lemak in JB is different - spicier and more flavorful. In fact, you can also go for the ABC (A** Burning Curry) if you want a change Smile
Back to top Go down
He
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
He

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Hello,

and sam leong road...

king

That fellow got a road named after him because of his web forum?? Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:

Tronos, one of these days if you do come to JB, I'll take you to eat good nasi lemak. I stay in Katong and I've eaten that nasi lemak before. I think it's only ok and quite pricey. Nasi lemak in JB is different - spicier and more flavorful. In fact, you can also go for the ABC (A** Burning Curry) if you want a change Smile

i agree with techno.. i actually find the punggol nasi lemak extremely pricey.. but i gotta say their chicken wing is really well done as well as the rice being fragrant and well cooked.. not much to say about its health benefits though, save for the little cucumber that they give. haha..

anyway, techno, hopefully one day i can join you to JB for some nasi lemak!
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 pm

He wrote:
mervyntan wrote:
Hello,

and sam leong road...

king

That fellow got a road named after him because of his web forum?? Shocked Shocked

i dont think he is actually named sam leong, but rather that he adopted his moniker from the road name, as this road used to be part of the red light district back in the days. u still can see some trannies and other suspicious looking fellas along the road at night though.

i also know one of the guys whose surname is desker.. he did tell me the story of that plot of land and how the various roads got their names... desker road is named after his family.. haha..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:23 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:

i agree with techno.. i actually find the punggol nasi lemak extremely pricey.. but i gotta say their chicken wing is really well done as well as the rice being fragrant and well cooked.. not much to say about its health benefits though, save for the little cucumber that they give. haha..

anyway, techno, hopefully one day i can join you to JB for some nasi lemak!

Mervyn, you can count on it! When you're back, we can try and catch a game in JB (if you're keen) and sample the food there. I know a lot of good makan places in JB Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:27 pm

im in SG already lah.. haha.. u mean back from zouk? hahaha...

anyway.. when it comes to makan.. i am super on.. whether in SG or malaysia.. Makan and finding nice food is an integral part of my life... which is why i suffered 3 yr when i was in london.. everyday fish and chips..
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:44 pm

How does the "pungol" nasi lemak in Katong compare to the nasi lemak in Changi Village? There's always a long queue on weekend (easily 30 mins). Razz
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 pm

punggol nasi lemak has 2 branches.. 1 in upper serangoon and 1 in katong..

the punggol one is chinese style.. the cv one is malay style..

stylistically, i don't know how to describe the differences, but they have got a different type of taste.. u must try it to understand..

furthermore, the punggol one has got alot of ingredients to choose from.. the CV one is a standard set.. chicken wing.. ikan bilis.. egg. etc..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 pm

mervyntan wrote:
im in SG already lah.. haha.. u mean back from zouk? hahaha...

anyway.. when it comes to makan.. i am super on.. whether in SG or malaysia.. Makan and finding nice food is an integral part of my life... which is why i suffered 3 yr when i was in london.. everyday fish and chips..

Oops. Thought you were still in London. Like that we'll have to arrange a meet-up soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

mervyntan wrote:
punggol nasi lemak has 2 branches.. 1 in upper serangoon and 1 in katong..

the punggol one is chinese style.. the cv one is malay style..

stylistically, i don't know how to describe the differences, but they have got a different type of taste.. u must try it to understand..

furthermore, the punggol one has got alot of ingredients to choose from.. the CV one is a standard set.. chicken wing.. ikan bilis.. egg. etc..

Wow! You are really a foodie! cheers

Guess I need to try out the one at Katong one of these days. pig
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Ken_ wrote:

Wow! You are really a foodie! cheers

Guess I need to try out the one at Katong one of these days. pig

haha.. i always go to the one at upper serangoon since that is only 5 minutes away from my place..
anyway.... i have a long way to go in exploring all the food in SG.. since i am not in SG most of the time.. but now that im back.. im slowly clawing my way out to seek out all the delicious food and add to the inches of my ever expanding waistline..
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Eh MC, take it easy man....I almost din recognise you when u walked into the Den the other day. Now looking like marshmallow man. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:27 pm

MC or MT...both looking prosperous....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:54 am

haha..my bad....its MT.
Back to top Go down
thejerrytan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
thejerrytan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:59 am

I stay very near the Punggol Nasi Lemak at Kovan there. Tried a couple of times but I still can't find it impressive.

My army days were at Changi and the Nasi Lemak there was pretty decent.

But so far none beats the days in NTU. Thats why I am willing to travel all the way to Boon Lay to grab the Power Nasi Lemak at the food centre.

Maybe its my taste buds that is more sensitive to coconut milk in the rice and the sugar in the chilli.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 am

S70B wrote:
haha..my bad....its MT.

damn. i was pretty hopeful that it could be MC, but looks like i was wrong. don't worry. i am putting in the hard work everyday to shed off the marshmallows and look less like the michelin man. when you come back from the US of A, u gonna see a new me!! flower
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 am

Michelin Man is more gross cos it looks like the fats are layered.

Marshmallow Man aka Ghostbusters more round and prosperous.

On another note, lets talk food again

For those who rubber tap for golf, do you eat breakfast before ur round or midway thru?
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:13 am

breakfast before round, and a snack during. Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:29 pm

hard to get a good breakfast during the round, so i would figure before round.

i like to go to the whampoa market before the game to have a nice breakfast.. but that also depends on where the game is...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:37 pm

S70B wrote:
Michelin Man is more gross cos it looks like the fats are layered.

Marshmallow Man aka Ghostbusters more round and prosperous.

On another note, lets talk food again

For those who rubber tap for golf, do you eat breakfast before ur round or midway thru?

I try to get a bit of brekkie in before starting.

In JB, choco and I enjoyed wantan mee at 6am recently. We'll do so again this Saturday.
In Singapore, eat cereal at home...oh well.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Technospaz wrote:

In JB, choco and I enjoyed wantan mee at 6am recently. We'll do so again this Saturday.

sounds like a good BROmance happening.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:50 pm

mervyntan wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

sounds like a good BROmance happening.

We are rehearsing for when you join us Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food thread   Food thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next