Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ego or better score

Go down 
+9
sandkie
tronos
darenlim
Winston
JonL_TK
eiji
weesern
Duval_S
golfool2009
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Ego or better score Empty
PostSubject: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 pm

My h'cap has steadily been going down the drain primarily caused by my reluctance to admit that i'm hitting shorter than i used to. 3 years ago, I could hit my 5 iron 170m, 7 iron 150m, 9 iron 130m, etc. I don't know whether it's due to age, a change in swing, whatever, i'm hitting one iron shorter these days....however, it's taken me a full 3 years to admit to it and to now switch out my 5 iron for a hybrid.......so while i've managed to shoot some decent scores over the 'lost' 3 years, i relied heavily on my short game to play to my 15 h'cap......finally, after putting my ego aside, i now take a longer iron and just use whatever it takes to get on the green....my last round at Marina from the blue tees was an 82 which included one triple bogey....

question now is do i change my clubs to easier to hit game improvement clubs? I currently use:
Driver: Titleist D1 10.5deg stiff flex aldila 67g shaft with torque of 3.9
3W: Callaway Steelhead (this almost never leaves my bag except for driving range)
7W: Cleveland Launcher
Irons: Callaway X-tour (bought in 2005)
Wedges: Vokey

Thinking of changing to ping G15 driver 10.5 degrees as I am a short driver of the ball averaging 200-210m and maybe getting i15 or g15 irons? Thoughts anyone?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:27 pm

my fren told me once, that 'ego ' does not earn money......
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 pm

true...but i'm irritated that my partners are hitting their drives 30m past me....hence the need the get an easier to hit driver....
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:00 am

wait till u come back with a lower score than them...

Look at Tim Clark and Bubba Watson.... drive short win ournament or drive far but dun win
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:02 am

my logical half knows you are right and i'm already beating the crap out of my playing partners but the barbarian in me feels the need to be able to crank out a 240m drive....
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:04 am

i take a better score anyday, but sometimes i think i can hit a shot that happens 1 in every 100 Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:08 am

I believe just get your short game super accurate!!!
You don't need to be a statistics player where you need to make 2 on for a Par 4...

Land outside the green... 1 chip 1 putt or just 1 chip!!!

No need for what 250m drive... Like this your friends will be fuming that even if they outdrive you by 30m or more they might still struggle to make Par
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Golf2009,

All my golf kakis are all in their mid forties - fifties. I mid 30's (and have been playing for about 9 months). Most of them out hit me in terms of distance. I still manage to win some of them. HOWEVER, I can never beat their course management. No matter how hard I try, I can barely keep up with them interms of score.

To me it is not so much about winning them. Its more so for just having the opportunity to play. Also,I woould choose good socres over ego anytime because it helps to fatten my wallet.
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 am

can you imagine what your friends are thinking?
You do not hit longer than them but you are hitting lower scores and taking their money. Smile
Hows tat for an ego booster!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:16 am

Daren, when can we play together man, i wanna learn course management from you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 am

Wah! Im flattered, if there is a chance I will try my best.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 am

Its not as if a person decides to go for a longer drive, he abandon his short game

if can hit longer than them AND kill then with superb short game even better....but thats against the motto of the Buaya club..
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:06 am

Sometimes it is good to drive shorter.... You got the chance to put the ball in green first...
That is a lot pressure...

You flight mate will think,"I must hit the green, somemore I use shorter club.... "

Then.. "Oh no.. I missed it."
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am

Length is overrated.
If you hit the ball longer does it mean that you are able to put the ball on the green?
Put it closer? Lower your score? Play more consistently? Length is definitely not a game changing factor Smile
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 pm

darenlim wrote:
Length is overrated.
If you hit the ball longer does it mean that you are able to put the ball on the green?
Put it closer? Lower your score? Play more consistently? Length is definitely not a game changing factor Smile

Length is overrated to a certain extend. But believe me if you do not have a decent length you can never play good golf.

If you drive 200M on a 360M par 4, your next shot will be a 160M - 4iron. Certainly this will be a tough shot to put near the pin as compare to a 250m drive with a pitch wedge approached shot.

To put things into prospective, you need 230-260M with 75% accuracy to play good consistent golf.

I know what I am talking about, because I am the victim of a short and frustrating hitter!
ok, I am going to the gym leow......
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm

230-260m!!! Gulp, need to work on those core and arm muscles liao. Cool
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Nowadays hitting 240-250M is very common leow........my flight mate are hitting 210-220 with 3 woods. have to change to hockey leow....
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 pm

seebayho wrote:
darenlim wrote:
Length is overrated.

Length is overrated to a certain extend. But believe me if you do not have a decent length you can never play good golf.

If you drive 200M on a 360M par 4, your next shot will be a 160M - 4iron. Certainly this will be a tough shot to put near the pin as compare to a 250m drive with a pitch wedge approached shot.

To put things into prospective, you need 230-260M with 75% accuracy to play good consistent golf.

I know what I am talking about, because I am the victim of a short and frustrating hitter!

master, im witness to your 1-chip-1-putts, so hitting it short is definitely not a problem for you.

if ur hitting 250m drives, then we're tokin abt birdie chance at almost every hole. Shocked
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm

you dont need length to get to the score but you need length to have better/more chance to get to the score. With the same skills, length maybe the deciding factor as it gives the guy a biger boost in his confidence level, to seek and strike his targets with precision and deadly accuracy....
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:10 pm

seebayho wrote:
darenlim wrote:
Length is overrated.

I guess length is needed for those are hitting it not long enough to play a decent game.
In my opinion, length wise is a factor but definitely not a major factor.
It also being able to accept the disadvantages one have and maximise one's strength to their advantage.

I have a friend that hits it longer than me but he has ZERO short game Smile
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 pm

tronos wrote:
you dont need length to get to the score but you need length to have better/more chance to get to the score. With the same skills, length maybe the deciding factor as it gives the guy a biger boost in his confidence level, to seek and strike his targets with precision and deadly accuracy....

Honestly, even I am trying to hit it longer.
Been going to the DEN to try out new shafts to get the extra 5-10m Smile
Eric, I hope the FUBUKI will do some good Smile What a Face
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

darenlim wrote:

Honestly dunno why you so stuborn and insist on using Tities Driver!
Just go to the dark side and use Nakashima lah... Confirm 300m easily!

Nakashima Power!
Back to top Go down
darenlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
darenlim

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
darenlim wrote:

Honestly dunno why you so stuborn and insist on using Tities Driver!
Just go to the dark side and use Nakashima lah... Confirm 300m easily!

Nakashima Power!

Shut up!
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 5:02 pm

i don't buy into the golf digest, etc propaganda about your putter being the most important club in the bag...logic dictates that even if you hit a bad putt, at most it will add one more stroke per hole to your score...but if you hit a bad drive, there's no limit to the number of strokes you can add....e.g. ob, pot bunker in marina, par 4's that you can't reach in 2, etc

plus if you have a longer drive, you have a shorter iron into the green increasing the chances of you 1 or 2 putting the green....i think that the only way i can drop my h'cap from where it is these days (hovering around 12) to single digit is really having a shorter club on my approach.....

in fact if you want to talk about statistics, the chances of getting up and down in 2 from off the green is definitely much lower than 2 putting from on the green.....anyway, i already can hit 80-90% of all fairways which is a benefit of being a short and straight driver....problem comes when trying to do too much with a long iron in my hands (anything above a 7 iron and it's iffy for me...)

and hey, if nakshima can take me there, i'm willing to live with the shame....!!!!

question is, can i still hit it straight while reaching 230-240m? bottom line is that ego always wins (otherwise, i'd be bleeding once a month) and i plan on going down to custom golf to get that extra 20m (that's 2 club lengths for me).....
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 5:49 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
i don't buy into the golf digest, etc propaganda about your putter being the most important club in the bag...logic dictates that even if you hit a bad putt, at most it will add one more stroke per hole to your score...but if you hit a bad drive, there's no limit to the number of strokes you can add....e.g. ob, pot bunker in marina, par 4's that you can't reach in 2, etc

plus if you have a longer drive, you have a shorter iron into the green increasing the chances of you 1 or 2 putting the green....i think that the only way i can drop my h'cap from where it is these days (hovering around 12) to single digit is really having a shorter club on my approach.....

in fact if you want to talk about statistics, the chances of getting up and down in 2 from off the green is definitely much lower than 2 putting from on the green.....anyway, i already can hit 80-90% of all fairways which is a benefit of being a short and straight driver....problem comes when trying to do too much with a long iron in my hands (anything above a 7 iron and it's iffy for me...)

and hey, if nakshima can take me there, i'm willing to live with the shame....!!!!

question is, can i still hit it straight while reaching 230-240m? bottom line is that ego always wins (otherwise, i'd be bleeding once a month) and i plan on going down to custom golf to get that extra 20m (that's 2 club lengths for me).....

Agree. If cannot find fairway from the tee-box, no need to talk about 1 putt or 2 putts. Trying to scramble also jialat already.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ego or better score   Ego or better score I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ego or better score
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next