Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to hit Irons from a tee

Go down 
+13
tronos
watchman88sg
riverdeity
jurongtiger
ghoonk
Duval_S
eiji
watermyforrest
CoastGuy
slinger
S70B
nrafee
sandkie
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

How to hit Irons from a tee Empty
PostSubject: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:33 am

It takes me a while to realize that I hit irons better in fairway than in tee box...

I can hit hybrid and wood a lot better with a short tee... but somehow I cannot hit irons properly with the small tee... hence I hit them without it nowadays..

Will the tee actually help our iron shot? How should we place our ball in relative to our normal position to take advantage of the small tee?
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 am

then dun use the tee at the tee box.. Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:47 am

Jack Nicklaus always preach using a tee whenever you are at the tee box. He says that to use every piece of advantage whenever you can.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think SH mentioned this before - use a shorter tee and tee the ball lower when hitting an iron. How low? Just enough where the ball sits above the grass but not so low that it makes no difference without the tee.

I find that the mind plays a part in teeing off with an iron especially on a par 4. Many times when you are using an iron off the tee, your mindset and strategy is to 'play safe'. Because of that, the swing is in a 'defensive' mode and your tempo might change...leading to a chance of deceleration during the downswing.

Go ahead n hit those irons agressively even when hitting off a par 4. You need every yard you can get with that club.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:31 am

S70B wrote:
Jack Nicklaus always preach using a tee whenever you are at the tee box. He says that to use every piece of advantage whenever you can.

no wonder u always talk smack to your opponents at the tee-box.....
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 10:24 am

My view is that a lot of people tends to tee up the ball too high for iron shots.
That will not give them a chance to compress the ball to the ground.
But if you dun use tee, there will be chances that you might duff your shot a bit, which leave your ball short. (especially on par 3)
Just tee up a little to make the lie better then normal will do... Good Luck!
Swing
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Errr... Being a novice, I might be wrong but I don't think you can compress the ball to the ground as the ground is way too soft. The compression comes from the clubface that hit the ball. The divots are the results of club scraping the ground after hitting the ball (the ball should have taken off by then). Hence the golf experts always say divots should be after the ball and not behind the ball.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:31 pm

practise tee-ing up at range, repeat on course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 pm

slinger wrote:
S70B wrote:

no wonder u always talk smack to your opponents at the tee-box.....

Only to you leh. geek
Back to top Go down
CoastGuy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoastGuy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:18 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Errr... Being a novice, I might be wrong but I don't think you can compress the ball to the ground as the ground is way too soft. The compression comes from the clubface that hit the ball. The divots are the results of club scraping the ground after hitting the ball (the ball should have taken off by then). Hence the golf experts always say divots should be after the ball and not behind the ball.

Bro wmf, i agreed to wat you've said too. I am trying to say that we need to have a Feel that we are hitting down on the ball, trying to trap the ball between the club face and the ground (even though it may not seem possible). Peace
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Tee up.....imagine want to take divot...then.....whack......
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 1:32 pm

I think my problem lies is not be able to imagine hitting down when I tee up...

Cause you know the ball is a bit higher hence want to sweep it instead of hitting it down...
I think the best is to try on the range first....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:26 pm

watermyforrest wrote:

It is possible to compress the ball between club and ground. Takes some geting used to, and the feeling is weird. Ball flight is also lower, spin rates seem higher, ball drops and stops (at least that is that case with anything shorter than a 5i for me). I'm not able to pull it off all the time, but the 'trick' is to maintain a flat left wrist THROUGH impact

Personally, I don't tee the ball up in the tee box. no point, since I play it at the tee box the same way as I play it off the fairway. With a tee, my mentality switches to trying to 'flip' the ball into the air
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:36 pm

NOwadays I also have a tendency not to tee up for the irons...

Feels more liberating and feels like I can compress the ball better. Just a visual
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:36 pm

eh bro, go check your email, found you something TASTY Smile
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Tastier than Swiss Chocolate?

Off topic but BTW bro, this place is incredibly beautiful
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
riverdeity

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:13 pm

I hit my irons on the fairways pretty decently but never hit divots, watching from the telly when the pros play they almost always seem to take a divot something i never manage to do. Could i be contacting the ball wrongly?
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:26 pm

riverdeity wrote:
I hit my irons on the fairways pretty decently but never hit divots, watching from the telly when the pros play they almost always seem to take a divot something i never manage to do. Could i be contacting the ball wrongly?

Possible reasons :

1. Ball positioned too forward of your stance for short / mid irons.
2. You are hitting 'up' instead of hitting 'down. At impact, your left wrist
should not be cupped, if it is, you are hitting 'up' which may also lead to
topping the ball.
Back to top Go down
riverdeity
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
riverdeity

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

I position my ball for wedges and 9,8 in the middle and probably just 1 ball size left for 6 and 7 irons. is that the right position??

-->2:
That actually makes sense, have been told time and time again that my wrist should be more flexy and not soo stiff
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 pm

riverdeity wrote:
I position my ball for wedges and 9,8 in the middle and probably just 1 ball size left for 6 and 7 irons. is that the right position??

-->2:
That actually makes sense, have been told time and time again that my wrist should be more flexy and not soo stiff

Positioning of the ball along the stance varies from one golfer to another. A golfer blessed with very 'strong' or 'fast' hip may have to play the ball more upfront and vice-versa for the opposite. There is no fixed rules on where everyone golfers should position their ball accordingly to the number on what the club says. Henceforth the 'right' ball position is determined by individual golfers through trial and error leading to what gives your the best result.

Correct swing plane also plays an important part in ensuring good ball striking. 99 percent of casual golfers do not swing the club on plane and that's when many complications will derive from. Swing along 'the line of direction' will help you to possibly be on plane and the rests will take care of itself.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 pm

white tee par 3s are short use mostly mid to short irons even wedge. No need to tee. Pros par3 often over 200 yards.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Just hit it as if the tee is not there. You still need a descending down swing like when u are hitting from the deck.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 pm

riverdeity wrote:

Address position plus the angle of attack (impact) play an important role in the above. Make sure you are executing a descending blow on the down swing. I would suggest you slow down your down swing initially to accurately contact the ball first ...

Hope the above helps ... bounce

Last edited by Turbo on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm

riverdeity wrote:

Address position of the ball plus angle of attack (impact) are vital in creating a divot after contact the ball.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:41 pm

riverdeity wrote:

Just curious, if you are getting good contact (not thin all the time), and the ball is going the direction and distance you want it to go ... why are you worrying about it?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:43 pm

taskie wrote:
It takes me a while to realize that I hit irons better in fairway than in tee box...

I can hit hybrid and wood a lot better with a short tee... but somehow I cannot hit irons properly with the small tee... hence I hit them without it nowadays..

Will the tee actually help our iron shot? How should we place our ball in relative to our normal position to take advantage of the small tee?

I'm not really qualified to give any advice, but just wondering how high do you tee up for your iron shots of the tee?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to hit Irons from a tee   How to hit Irons from a tee I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to hit Irons from a tee
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next