Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice of driver for beginner

Go down 
+17
mUAr_cHEe
Tituman
joleelyn
clarencekim
watermyforrest
chocoman
Batman
pushslice
and68low
TObe
sandkie
slinger
JonL_TK
asahi
nrafee
Duval_S
lionwoods
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:28 am

Tituman wrote:
Slinger could attest to that when I started golfing during the time when we were involved in another golf forum called Cyber Tee Box. Every week I have got new drivers to sell at the meet up at Bishan range. Boy, seems many many moons ago

dinosaurs...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:57 am

if u search here/ebay sg even cash converter (they advertise to have nakshima NP1 for $139 but i have not seen it yet), can find a easy driver (10.5 loft, regular shaft) that is of a recent model (460cc, titanium or composite body/titanium face) for around S$100.

depends on your interest in the game. Some ppl live and die on the driver (evident by the $500 shaft and $500 tour heads). If they cannot hit pass 250m they lose interest.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi Lionwoods,

Just sharing my own experiences ...

Driver - I regret buying an expensive driver too early into learning the game. Thought at the time that the latest toy would stop the ball from slicing all the time, you have probably heard it before, it's the Indian, not the arrow. I'm sure if you gave any driver to a low handicap player, he/she will be able to use it decently after a couple of tries to get used to the shaft flex. A recommended option would be to borrow one from your friends, or look for a 2nd hand or older model.

Hybrids - Were my best friends starting out and still are. Drivers are great fun and very useful, but for most of us, takes time to learn to swing decently. I got lucky and picked up decent TM hybrids during the now defunct Golfer's Network sales last year, which I am still happily using ... although the 3 hybrid is starting to look really worn out. For the first few months, it is quite likely that quite a high percentage of your shots will be played with these hybrids, especially if you use them to tee off. Recommended options would be to look for the older models or good quality used clubs, as it might not be that easy to borrow these from friends.

Overall, I guess that most of us are advising you not to spend too much on your first set of clubs. Largely because it is highly unlikely that you will stick with them for a long time. Either your swing progresses, or your preferences change. Get a set to practice and play with, use the difference for Golf lessons, and start saving for the day when you have a more consistent swing and being exploring the highly addictive world of club fitting
Back to top Go down
alucard
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:08 pm

i am using a hand-me-down 2006 driver. I had comtemplated changing the driver (arrow) in hope that i can hit straighter longer shots. Then one day, i decide to see my coach about my driver/fairway swings. He took my old used driver, took a half swing back, check himself in the mirror for any loose strands of hair, then swing with ease and composure to another half swing follow through (so only 90 degrees backswing to 90 degress after).....

The ball hit the back of the net in the Keppel range.... after that, i decided to not spend anymore money on eqpt, but rather spend money on proper coaching and self practice to train the Indian.....

If the next time I change any eqpt, it will be to get fully fitted at BFG. Until then, i try to step into the den... (its not called den for nothing hehehehhh)

just my humble opinions...
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:41 pm

Derek wrote:

Just sharing my own experiences ...

Driver - I regret buying an expensive driver too early into learning the game. Thought at the time that the latest toy would stop the ball from slicing all the time, you have probably heard it before, it's the Indian, not the arrow. I'm sure if you gave any driver to a low handicap player, he/she will be able to use it decently after a couple of tries to get used to the shaft flex. A recommended option would be to borrow one from your friends, or look for a 2nd hand or older model.

Hybrids - Were my best friends starting out and still are. Drivers are great fun and very useful, but for most of us, takes time to learn to swing decently. I got lucky and picked up decent TM hybrids during the now defunct Golfer's Network sales last year, which I am still happily using ... although the 3 hybrid is starting to look really worn out. For the first few months, it is quite likely that quite a high percentage of your shots will be played with these hybrids, especially if you use them to tee off. Recommended options would be to look for the older models or good quality used clubs, as it might not be that easy to borrow these from friends.

I certainly hope both Driver and Hybrid are my best friends on course.
Back to top Go down
Lion Iron
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Lion Iron

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Derek wrote:

I did borrow from friend until paiseh. Good to own one finally.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:00 am

Tituman wrote:

Hey Panji, "going to buy my 4th driver in 2 yrs'' sounds so mild. My first 6 months of playing golf I have gone thru more than that ha ha What a Face . Slinger could attest to that when I started golfing during the time when we were involved in another golf forum called Cyber Tee Box. Every week I have got new drivers to sell at the meet up at Bishan range. Boy, seems many many moons ago Shocked Shocked

titu

PS: You can read my previous postings on this thread.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/equipment-reviews-f14/golf-driver-discussion-t1908.htm

ya i know ur cobra zl is 2nd buy after the r9 just this year right? Maybe i need to go back working in a bank to match your rate Wink that said i did spend a driver's worth on lessons. Tired of yelling foore bro
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:16 am

pushslice wrote:
Tituman wrote:

Hey Panji, "going to buy my 4th driver in 2 yrs'' sounds so mild. My first 6 months of playing golf I have gone thru more than that ha ha What a Face . Slinger could attest to that when I started golfing during the time when we were involved in another golf forum called Cyber Tee Box. Every week I have got new drivers to sell at the meet up at Bishan range. Boy, seems many many moons ago Shocked Shocked

titu

PS: You can read my previous postings on this thread.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/equipment-reviews-f14/golf-driver-discussion-t1908.htm

ya i know ur cobra zl is 2nd buy after the r9 just this year right? Maybe i need to go back working in a bank to match your rate Wink that said i did spend a driver's worth on lessons. Tired of yelling foore bro

Actually the last time we played together at OCC, you were doing pretty well with your driver. Wonder why you twitch it when it was going well la.

Titu
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:33 am

at the time i Was hitting 6-7 fairways max, losing balls a couple a round. Then i tried the titty demo club from ssn for two rounds. Hitting more fairways, slice is still there but not as much as before. So i only lost a ball in 2 rounds. Launch was also more penetrating. I needed a very low spin combo to offset my bad tendencies somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:40 am

Bro now just stay with this and get familiarise with the characteristics of this new driver. With coaching I am sure it will be money well spent. Hope to catch up with you for another game soon. Happy golfing mate. Swing

titu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice of driver for beginner
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2