Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advice of driver for beginner

Go down 
+17
mUAr_cHEe
Tituman
joleelyn
clarencekim
watermyforrest
chocoman
Batman
pushslice
and68low
TObe
sandkie
slinger
JonL_TK
asahi
nrafee
Duval_S
lionwoods
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lionwoods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Advice of driver for beginner Empty
PostSubject: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Pros,
I just started to learn Golf, the very interesting game. 5 lessons have been completed. Going to the green soon. very excited.
I would like to buy driver and woods, any kind advice is highly appreciated.
I don't mind go for the 2nd hand, Value for money...Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:30 pm

At the beginner stage....PLS buy only Driver.....

PLS do not buy woods.......if really really need to fully equip your bag to max out space...then buy hybrid (get the loftest one)

Now...which Driver.... I recommend get the 460cc.....Personally I will recommend that if you only did 5 lessons, get 2nd hand eg. Creative Golf at telor ayer or Far East.....Callaway, TaylorMade and Cleveland are pretty good buy....reckon you can get some older models at < 350 SGD

Disclaimer: Above is only mentioned as I do not know your talent and ability...and of coz your depth of pocket.

.....Just me 'D' (Seasoned Beginner)
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:32 pm

enjoy the game.. but buy slowly.. before you know it.. you have so much golf stuff..clothes and gears.. very poisonous one.. haha...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi there, you can also read up on threads in this great forum to learn more about drivers and form your own opinion. Else, do join us at starry starry night on wed at MBGC to try fellow members' drivers. Very Happy

Last edited by asahi on Mon May 10, 2010 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Duval_S wrote:

PLS do not buy woods.......if really really need to fully equip your bag to max out space...then buy hybrid (get the loftest one)

Why don't buy woods? Personally I feel that having a 3Wood to start out with is better for both confidence and ball flight...
Most beginner just try to "whack" as hard as possible when handling a Driver...

Learning how to hit a 3 Wood at first (meaning both off the tee and off the deck) will greatly boost one's confidence when on the green!!!

How many experienced golfers here have problems here hitting off the deck with a FW but have no problem hitting off a tee?
My concept is "Learn to walk before you run"
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Quote :
JonL_TK wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Why don't buy woods? Personally I feel that having a 3Wood to start out with is better for both confidence and ball flight...

Learning how to hit a 3 Wood at first (meaning both off the tee and off the deck) will greatly boost one's confidence when on the green!!!

How many experienced golfers here have problems here hitting off the deck with a FW but have no problem hitting off a tee?

Hi Bro LionWoods...so as you can see, there are many ways to approach the game....there is no right or wrong....only different in approaches and opinion. Pls lemme addon to what I had earlier mentioned, boutomline is to try and see which suit you

@ Bro JonL_TK: Sorry bro...just my view only. My tot is that off tee, the bigger surface club will get better chance to contact with ball....but again, just my view
Back to top Go down
lionwoods
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
JonL_TK wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Hi Bro LionWoods...so as you can see, there are many ways to approach the game....there is no right or wrong....only different in approaches and opinion. Pls lemme addon to what I had earlier mentioned, boutomline is to try and see which suit you

@ Bro JonL_TK: Sorry bro...just my view only. My tot is that off tee, the bigger surface club will get better chance to contact with ball....but again, just my view

Thanks all for the valuable advices.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm

personally, i agree with Jon to skip the driver......

since u just starting out, i assume u are anxious to go onto to the course, then make sure u have good consistent iron shots b4 moving onto the longer clubs, end of the day u just wanna enjoy your game, so keeping the ball in play rather than hunting/searching for ball would allow u to have more fun on the course.... u pay to play n have fun, not get frustrated/exasperated/disappointed......

dun worry about your scores, it would not be pleasant but u can tell yourself u will only get better with time....

thus, dun need driver or 3w for now, if u really need the distance, mayb a 4hybrid/5w will suffice for your level of play..... remember to keep the ball safe n in play, then u will come back for more

was like u, wanted driver, but in hindsight, not a good move, couldnt buy a fairway for nuts, so tee-off with 5i, then a 7w, then 4w, finally driver....takes time but golf like most things are progressive, theres no shortcuts, if u make the effort, make the time to practise, and determined to play the game.... then u will go far

jmho
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Lion

Driver is usually the most expensive club in the bag. If you want to save money, I recommend you buy 2nd hand. Best case if you have a friend that is willing to lend you one.

I bought one driver before and regret buying it before I have a repeatable swing. Before I knew it, the flex has become too soft for me. Now, I am using my friend's driver which he actually lends me indefinitely.

Join golf republic on ssn and you can try out different driver too... and most importantly, people can help you to see your swing...

The temptation to buy club is hard to overcome, good luck.
Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:39 pm

i guess starting out with a 2nd hand 4wood (which can last long in your game) and 3 or 4 hybrid would help in stable distance early on for a beginner's game... as for driver, borrowing one wld be a gd idea IMO.. at least u start somewhr to realise what u need/prefer (e.g. borrowed driver has too stiff a shaft, too heavy or head shape doesn't suit yr eye)

just some tips tt may help save $$/score
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:14 am

By my experience of 30 odd years of golfing, invest by buying the "Best" you can afford! (if no budget even better). Buying a second hand one may sound like good advice but in the end like all golfers they will buy another within couple of months ! (ha ha for me new also change)

Like any clubs, be it irons, hybrid or woods..... any upgrade will be the shaft !( after u have accomplished a reasonable "swing")

But do take your time to shop around and most important dont be afraid to ask your pro or accomplished golfing friends for their experience on each different clubs on performance, feel,and quality.... and for yourself, aesthetic and looks by your own choice.

Lastly, dont listen to the guy who "sell clubs" in the retail shop

Do not be afraid of the Driver! thats where the fun is! sooner or later u have to learn to use it.... why not sooner!

Welcome to the crazy game of golf ! Buying new toys is a continuous occurrence! so beware!

Try the any R9 or super tri, callaway or any cobra go for a 10.5 loft for now!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:50 am

[quote="and68low"]By my experience of 30 odd years of golfing, invest by buying the "Best" you can afford! (if no budget even better). Buying a second hand one may sound like good advice but in the end like all golfers they will buy another within couple of months ! (ha ha for me new also change)
quote]

hahaha andrew..oh so true. My wife told me that long time ago. I'm going to buy my 4th driver in 2 yrs with proper fitting and a couple of rounds testing the club. I hope this one will last for a while. I promise my wife! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:25 am

i am facing the same dilemma as you lionwoods. and u r 'faster' then me. i'd not even started any lessons yet. but had whacked ~1500 balls to date on the range lol!

anyway i agree with Duval, as in the approach. there's no right or wrong, only what u think its best for u.

and like what slinger n jon said, i'd went the woods way having just recently purchased a 3woods (yet to start practicing it yet) hahaha. cos my approach is that if i can manage a 3woods decently, when i go onto driver, it will be easier for me to conquer.
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:31 am

You gonna to break your promise! Just hope your wife forget that conversation.... or buy her the tenth handbag in 2 yrs! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:31 am

buy my ping g5. 10.5 regular shaft.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:33 am

and68low wrote:
You gonna to break your promise! Just hope your wife forget that conversation.... or buy her the tenth handbag in 2 yrs! Cheers!
Or just get her to take up golf!!! Then she will understand why u spend on equipment
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm

JonL_TK wrote:
and68low wrote:
Or just get her to take up golf!!! Then she will understand why u spend on equipment

bros, right on again....I did buy her n-th handbag and she did start taking lesson. We played together for the first time 2 weeks ago. Here's to new stuff my bag!
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:05 pm

and68low wrote:

its good to know we have ppl like u to stimulate the economy....

show my wife the latest the win win bag, she say very nice going to buy for me...i politely declined cos i know i will make another trip to Taka in the coming months ......
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:
and68low wrote:

show my wife the latest the win win bag, she say very nice going to buy for me...i politely declined cos i know i will make another trip to Taka in the coming months ......

wah .... so good

I show my wife the new D2 driver.....my wife gave me the recruitment page.....even arrange interview for me for 2nd job......(530pm - 2am shift)
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:13 pm

chocoman wrote:
buy my ping g5. 10.5 regular shaft.

yeah... If the ball fly to the rough, it will backspin to the fairway...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
slinger wrote:
and68low wrote:

wah .... so good

I show my wife the new D2 driver.....my wife gave me the recruitment page.....even arrange interview for me for 2nd job......(530pm - 2am shift)

your wife good meh....my wife eyes spolit
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:31 am

Hawker stall assitant?

Razz
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:44 am

personally... the irons should suffice..
i played only irons (even after my PC)... woods and driver can wait. slowly look ard. there's plenty on the market.

Like the bros said. no hard and fast rules when it comes to golf.. see what your personal preference is.. prob best to start out with second hand if u really wanna get your hands on a wood/driver.

p.s: I'm still using my beginner set..hahaa.. see no need for change.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

[quote="pushslice"]
and68low wrote:
By my experience of 30 odd years of golfing, invest by buying the "Best" you can afford! (if no budget even better). Buying a second hand one may sound like good advice but in the end like all golfers they will buy another within couple of months ! (ha ha for me new also change)
quote]

hahaha andrew..oh so true. My wife told me that long time ago. I'm going to buy my 4th driver in 2 yrs with proper fitting and a couple of rounds testing the club. I hope this one will last for a while. I promise my wife! Laughing

Hey Panji, "going to buy my 4th driver in 2 yrs'' sounds so mild. My first 6 months of playing golf I have gone thru more than that ha ha What a Face . Slinger could attest to that when I started golfing during the time when we were involved in another golf forum called Cyber Tee Box. Every week I have got new drivers to sell at the meet up at Bishan range. Boy, seems many many moons ago Shocked Shocked

titu

PS: You can read my previous postings on this thread.
http://www.golfrepublic.org/equipment-reviews-f14/golf-driver-discussion-t1908.htm
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

Quote :
clarencekim wrote:

Hawker stall assitant?

Razz

How you know ...ah ??? If I get D2, I will email all bros and sistas to come to my work place....bak chor mee!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice of driver for beginner   Advice of driver for beginner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice of driver for beginner
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next