Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How lah......downslope lie to green?

Go down 
+14
Derek
Turbo
Ryan Lee
Birdman
daveaha
Cyp_PGA
tronos
pushslice
Winston
golf_snowman
slinger
joshcct
pocketace
Duval_S
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

How lah......downslope lie to green? Empty
PostSubject: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Was trying to figure out how best to play this shot...so did my google and came out with this..

Quote :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wToLTkEVzU0&NR=1

NB.....cannot lah..no talent.

Here is the scenario I kena yesterday at NSRCC:

Under club....ball went short green.....unfortunately landed on upslope ie slope sloping down to green........approx 30m fm green...slope is around 30 degree or so.....how best to chip or run the ball to green ?

any tip will be appreciated....coz what I did....get my most lofted club....steep swing..and try to pop the ball...unfortunately ball run too much (coz 2- tier green and blue flag)....
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Dun get into this situation lor :p
seriously speaking, I got into this situation this morning at Warren at a par 3
open my sw, smooth swing follow the slope to pop the ball up

it is difficult shot, the ball almost run outta green to water. I am happy that I got away with bogey. Just manage expectation
Back to top Go down
joshcct
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm

that was an interesting flip from the video. think it was dangerous too, if the ball fly forward instead of flip over... Suspect
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:00 pm

can putt from 30m or not????

wisedom from a good golfer (not me hor)....

always putt before u chip,
always chip before u pitch....

u may not get the score u want, but u wont blow the hole
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

that was the famous Phil Mickelson's shot..tough and need to flip the wrist super fast..

Very difficult to do this kind of shot.

My approach would be use a SW, not LW..to just get the club face under the ball, but do it lightly and and just pray hard that the ball landed on the green..keke

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Quote :
Quote :
slinger wrote:
can putt from 30m or not????

wisedom from a good golfer (not me hor)....

always putt before u chip,
always chip before u pitch....

u may not get the score u want, but u wont blow the hole

not possible to putt leh....ard 15m to front of green....(its the par4 hole after a par 5 at army..I tink).....did not blow the hole ...heng ah....ball went behind...1 chip & 1 putt......but you gave me an idea...next time, I try hybrid to putt....more like punch putt...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:19 pm

It happens to me many times and through trial and error as well as constant practice....I manage to achieve 50% success.(mostlt through luck)

This is what I do. Shoulders as parrellel to the slope as possible, ball back in the stance, highest lofted club, open club face even more and swing (After this I always pray for it to work) how much to swing depends on how far the green is, pin placement and how high you are from the green.

This is my personal experience. Don't know if it will work for you.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Bro duval, i spent 30mins just on downhill pitching with jhan. First, low bounce wedge will help avoid hitting it thin. Center of your body must be on top or fwd of ball, never behind. Wristy backswing, cock ur wrist, accelerate thru ball, maintain the triangle and release with your body, not flipping your hands. At least thats the theory. Have to see him do it.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm

pushslice wrote:
Bro duval, i spent 30mins just on downhill pitching with jhan. First, low bounce wedge will help avoid hitting it thin. Center of your body must be on top or fwd of ball, never behind. Wristy backswing, cock ur wrist, accelerate thru ball, maintain the triangle and release with your body, not flipping your hands. At least thats the theory. Have to see him do it.

is it with the highest lofted wedge u have? and release all the way or stop with the triangle
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, with my 60 deg. Justin told me to stop 3/4 follow thru keeping the hands/body triangle as long as I can (sure cannot 100%). As long as I accelerate, I would get enough spin. However he also showed me a full version with some hand release. Hands almost go up (not round) his shoulder. His ball jumped up high, landed on green, 1 bounce and stop. Pro level...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 5:58 pm

you guys all .....you are the best....learnt so many things...definitely will give me more options rather than being so predictable due to lacking of shots variety.

I will aspire and perspire till expire...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 6:16 pm

pushslice wrote:

Will go give it a try this evening at the practce green. I dont cock my wrist, I actually use my putting stroke to chip whihc has been working great so far. Will give the "cock wrist" method a go and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

CAN TRY DRAW THE CHIP ... I TRY THIS BEFORE I MAKE ONCE OTHER 200 BALL ....
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Winston wrote:
pushslice wrote:

Will go give it a try this evening at the practce green. I dont cock my wrist, I actually use my putting stroke to chip whihc has been working great so far. Will give the "cock wrist" method a go and see what happens.

coach wanted me to get some speed without having a long backswing, cocking was one way. It was really for that downhill situation where he wanted the ball to fly and have some check. On any other lies, he recommended me to keep passive, firm wrist and just focus on body release. Keep to your style bro..
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Only Phil can do that.

I'll just do the standard. Open clubface, and try to lob the shot.

Theoritically of course.

100% for me so far go to the bunker. No talent Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:01 am

Quote :
daveaha wrote:
Only Phil can do that.

I'll just do the standard. Open clubface, and try to lob the shot.

Theoritically of course.

100% for me so far go to the bunker. No talent Smile

Bro Dave...you the man lah......my swing not very stable (specifically take away) and such no confident to accelerate thru the ball....so chicken to try such shot ....but seems like bo pian liao....coz I realized Golf is all about minimizing the impact fm bad lie
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:42 am

Bro Duval, flop from downhill lie very hard to play, but if you have no choice, then commit to the shot, pick your landing spot which you feel will allow the ball to release close to the hole once it lands on that spot, never aim to land at the hole, sure over one. Using the technique Pushslice mentioned, focus on your landing spot and ka ka accelerate aggressively to the shot to max the backspin.

If too much to ask for then safer option to play the bump and run lor.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:50 am

Birdman wrote:
Bro Duval, flop from downhill lie very hard to play, but if you have no choice, then commit to the shot, pick your landing spot which you feel will allow the ball to release close to the hole once it lands on that spot, never aim to land at the hole, sure over one. Using the technique Pushslice mentioned, focus on your landing spot and ka ka accelerate aggressively to the shot to max the backspin.

If too much to ask for then safer option to play the bump and run lor.

Are you replying from Sentosa ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Ryan Lee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ryan Lee

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm

bro duval, i have this situation before, flop the shot very nicely, landed on the apron, one bounce & stop, result: damn a downhill putt (3 putt zone).
Now, my game plan on downhill, bump & run with a SW; becos surely it will run even after a light checked.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Slant shoulder along the angle of slope. Open wedge face. Address ball at centre and favour weight on your front leg. Do a quick cocking of your wrist and make sure you hit down and not scoop the ball. Follow this guidelines and you should be fine!

Happy golfin'
Turbo
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Bro Turbo....... for the tip.

I am slowly but surely using more common sense when playing nowadays......and more importantly I nowadays to continue to leave my ego at home and not bring it to golf course.....
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Ummm ... not recommending that anyone try this ... but there have been times when the downslope was so bad that if I line up with the slope I almost feel like I am going to fall over if I make any sort of motion.

So I find a stable stance and just hold the club like a hockey stick (right hand way down the grip and touching shaft) and then try and find some body position whereby the club face is going approximately where I want and at an angle that can hit the ball.

It is a completely hands and arms shot, ugly as hell, and probably fundementally very wrong, but hey, sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 6:23 pm

its called the saucer pass.

Tried it once my self a few weeks back. Pulled my shot badly and ended up bouncing against the wall, rebound and land about 1.5 ft from the wall. I needed to clear a 5 foot cart path, 5 foot fringe to get on the green. The hole was about 15ft from the fringe. Grab 7 iron, place the club just infront of the wall. Assume a hockey stance and grip, (Left hand on the butt end, right hand about 1/2 way down the shaft) pushed it forward. ball cleared the path, fringe, landed 1 foot away from the fringe and rolled to 3 ft from the pin. Everyone was shocked, but not more than me!!!!!!!! managed to save par with that stroke. it helped that I used to play inline hockey for many years...

Here is a video clip. from Kikkor golf posted by Darren some time back. BTW, they make really nice looking golf shoes.

Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Nice one Winston! I am a complete fan of the "Whatever Works" idealogy.

The shot I was talking about is a bit different from the saucer pass, as in I strike down on ball but I am almost hitting the ball behind me ... that is, i am super closed to where I want the ball to land ... there is no real fixed angle, I just shift until I find a position that allows me to move the club in a stabbing motion approximately in the direction I want it to go.

Like I said, it is a really ugly shot, the saucer pass looks like poetry in motion compared to the "changkol" shot
Back to top Go down
vingay32
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
vingay32

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:20 pm

this saucer pass is not easy ..... likely will do a double hit on the contact of the ball....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How lah......downslope lie to green?   How lah......downslope lie to green? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How lah......downslope lie to green?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next