Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Up and Down from around the green

Go down 
+9
dmateo
Duval_S
Lee36328
nientsu
duffader
Birdman
Cyp_PGA
Slicer51
TourSwing
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

Up and Down from around the green Empty
PostSubject: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Having trouble getting up and down from just off the green .. and the below questions pertain to "chipping from just off the green"

- Do you use one or two wedges for all chips , irrespective of distance from pin and green to work with. I, however, use anything between a 5I and 60 depending on the shot conditions! But I see the pros on tv mostly using wedges (could be because of slick greens). So should I focus on mastering 1 or 2 clubs, OR, 1 stroke (different clubs)???

- I do choke down on the club ... but should I change to my putting grip, or stick with my normal grip? Having trouble with a consistent strike (marginal top/ duff) and predictable spin!

Help! Looking to convert bogeys into pars ... and can easily drop 4-5 shots by sorting this out!
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Bro,

Here just my opinion. I presume when you mention " ball just off the green " you are referring to a putt chip.

I use a putting grip to give me a better feel and almost having the same putting swing or stroke. I use only one and same low wedge. I am not good enough to use different loft of wedges without suffer of hitting my landed distant accurately. However, I also use pw and 9i sometime depending how far is the pin (mostly on up slope pin position), still using the same stroke and landing position and let the ball roll. In putt chip, I just want to make it simple as possible ... I cannot learn to hit and land in different distant without getting myself all confused.

Many says to be safe, it is better to use a putter. As for me, it depend of the lie and condition. I am just to ego to use putter. Like to see my ball with a "up and down" with a putt chip and putt. The only time I would consider using my putter just off the green is when I am in tournament.

I am rather strong with chip putt (maybe because I train allot on this shot). Recently, I suffer with short chip, distant of 20, 25, 35 meter to the pin ... 15, 30, 40 meter are not a problem. obiously, I have very poor course management to land my ball at this 20, 25, 35 meter and not to mention I miss hit my approach shot Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:29 pm

before even thinking about chipping the ball , ask your self this question ; " what is the easiest way to get the ball to the hole put , chip or pitch" . after that choose you landing zone , then choose your club . for me i practice chiping from 3 wood to 60 wedge.

In addition you should have your normal grip with narrow stance mean less than if you were going to excecute a full swing . i will say half of normal stance. in addition by saying you duff and top could be either your ball is too much forward on your stance or u use too much wrist action. remember that a chip is like the 1st step of a full swing back swing. more wrist u use the less consistent you will be , try your shoulder turn and core and use the sole of ur club...

REMEMBER for chip - the hardest shot is when the ball stay longer in the air as the distance control will be harder to control!

Last edited by Cyp_PGA on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Tourswing, all the methods you mentioned work, but every one mentioned needs practice to become proficient at putting the ball close to the hole. There is no magic pill to each one, the one constant is that you should have a slightly descending strike on the ball for all.

Take a few practice swings, and if you are brushing the same spot every time and taking the same amount of grass, then you are on the path to applying a consistent repeatable stroke for predictable results each time you chip.

Which method to choose? The one for you that needs the least practice and is the easiest to execute on the course. You'll have to experiment to discover which one that is.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Take hybrid n knock....
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Bro,

Here just my opinion. I presume when you mention " ball just off the green " you are referring to a putt chip.

I use a putting grip to give me a better feel and almost having the same putting swing or stroke. I use only one and same low wedge. I am not good enough to use different loft of wedges without suffer of hitting my landed distant accurately. However, I also use pw and 9i sometime depending how far is the pin (mostly on up slope pin position), still using the same stroke and landing position and let the ball roll. In putt chip, I just want to make it simple as possible ... I cannot learn to hit and land in different distant without getting myself all confused.

Many says to be safe, it is better to use a putter. As for me, it depend of the lie and condition. I am just to ego to use putter. Like to see my ball with a "up and down" with a putt chip and putt. The only time I would consider using my putter just off the green is when I am in tournament.

I am rather strong with chip putt (maybe because I train allot on this shot). Recently, I suffer with short chip, distant of 20, 25, 35 meter to the pin ... 15, 30, 40 meter are not a problem. obiously, I have very poor course management to land my ball at this 20, 25, 35 meter and not to mention I miss hit my approach shot Crying or Very sad Embarassed

Thx, yes I putt whenever possible ... but never force a put over fear of chipping ... I have a friend who chips really well with his GW .. and that got me thinking!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
before even thinking about chipping the ball , ask your self this question ; " what is the easiest way to get the ball to the hole put , chip or pitch" . after that choose you landing zone , then choose your club . for me i practice chiping from 3 wood to 60 wedge.

In addition you should have your normal grip with narrow stance mean less than if you were going to excecute a full swing . i will say half of normal stance. in addition by saying you duff and top could be either your ball is too much forward on your stance or u use too much wrist action. remember that a chip is like the 1st step of a full swing back swing. more wrist u use the less consistent you will be , try your shoulder turn and core and use the sole of ur club...

REMEMBER for chip - the hardest shot is when the ball stay longer in the air as the distance control will be harder to control!

Makes sense and noted! btw its because I want to take the wrist out of it , I am considering a putter grip ...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Birdman wrote:
Tourswing, all the methods you mentioned work, but every one mentioned needs practice to become proficient at putting the ball close to the hole. There is no magic pill to each one, the one constant is that you should have a slightly descending strike on the ball for all.

Take a few practice swings, and if you are brushing the same spot every time and taking the same amount of grass, then you are on the path to applying a consistent repeatable stroke for predictable results each time you chip.

Which method to choose? The one for you that needs the least practice and is the easiest to execute on the course. You'll have to experiment to discover which one that is.

Guilty! am not practicing my short game ... the only real short-game practice I get is on the course itself!

I think I need to invest some time at the practice area, and will try both styles, and see what works. Can hardly experiment on the course
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:56 pm

duffader wrote:
Take hybrid n knock....

thx , will experiment with that
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:58 pm

There is one post (somehwhere), where grand-shifu Slinger says

If you can putt, then putt
but if you cant putt, then chip
If you cant chip, then pitch.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 3:18 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
Bro,

Thx, yes I putt whenever possible ... but never force a put over fear of chipping ... I have a friend who chips really well with his GW .. and that got me thinking!

Yes, I like the statement " Never force a put over fear of chipping " I have a golf buddy whom rather weak with his bunker shots. He always try very hard to avoid the bunker during any round but always landed in the bunker more times then any of us.

It is just like me, when I am trying to aviod the tree, there where the ball going to hit Very Happy Better think of where I want my ball to land rather where to aviod (idiot me).

Here is another mental problem of mine. When I hold a putter, my mind set is to holed it. too much pressure had on myself when I try to do that from out the green. I prefer to putt chip when my mind just wanted to get the ball near the holes ( usually better result when I have no pressure).

I always practice my weaker "department" ( Driver, bunkers, approach, pitching, chipping, putting, I named them as department ).

I am very sure you will chip as good as your friend if you can put some time into it. Remember " No fear " ..

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 4:22 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Having trouble getting up and down from just off the green .. and the below questions pertain to "chipping from just off the green"

- Do you use one or two wedges for all chips , irrespective of distance from pin and green to work with. I, however, use anything between a 5I and 60 depending on the shot conditions! But I see the pros on tv mostly using wedges (could be because of slick greens). So should I focus on mastering 1 or 2 clubs, OR, 1 stroke (different clubs)???

- I do choke down on the club ... but should I change to my putting grip, or stick with my normal grip? Having trouble with a consistent strike (marginal top/ duff) and predictable spin!

Help! Looking to convert bogeys into pars ... and can easily drop 4-5 shots by sorting this out!

If it's just off the green, i.e. a few steps away, why do you chip with anything between 5i and 60? 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. PW, 50, 56 and 60. That's 9 different clubs.

If the speed of greens where you play is really fast, just 56 and/or 60 should be more than enough. That's two clubs. That cuts your practice load down to 22% of what you're currently trying to do.

If the greens are slow, maybe add the 50.

So, to sum up, simplify.

TourSwing wrote:

Guilty! am not practicing my short game ... the only real short-game practice I get is on the course itself!

I think I need to invest some time at the practice area, and will try both styles, and see what works. Can hardly experiment on the course

There you go. You knew the solution to your question all along.

Summing up, put in the time to get proficient.

Two steps.

1. Simplify
2. Repeat until proficient
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 5:37 pm

nientsu wrote:
There is one post (somehwhere), where grand-shifu Slinger says

If you can putt, then putt
but if you cant putt, then chip
If you cant chip, then pitch.

I agree and follow that 100%
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Lee36328 wrote:
TourSwing wrote:

If it's just off the green, i.e. a few steps away, why do you chip with anything between 5i and 60? 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. PW, 50, 56 and 60. That's 9 different clubs.

If the speed of greens where you play is really fast, just 56 and/or 60 should be more than enough. That's two clubs. That cuts your practice load down to 22% of what you're currently trying to do.

If the greens are slow, maybe add the 50.

So, to sum up, simplify.

TourSwing wrote:

There you go. You knew the solution to your question all along.

Summing up, put in the time to get proficient.

Two steps.

1. Simplify
2. Repeat until proficient

Ya, am going to have a practice session or two asap, and get a better feel for my wedges ... Need to get within 3-4 ft instead of 6-8
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 5:54 pm

not sure if this is helpful and relevant...but what I found helpful to me are:

1. i try to go with lower trajectory shot to the green...even at 100m

2. for around the green, I de-loft my club, coz my tot is this help to take it clean off a decent lie. If bad lie, i just say a short prayer before shot.

ps: my prayer is not for good shot if bad lie...but to not activate my vulgarities....so far so good
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 6:00 pm

personally I only have 2 option. Lob it or put it. Put it if there is not that much break and the fringe are short (since judging speed is a bummer if it's not) or the grass lean to your hitting direction, basically everything that make sit favourable.

If i'm not comfortable, then I will use the 56/60 degree to lob it over all those break/uphill slope/downhill slope, grain growing against my direction, bunker, tee, other ppl ball, other ppl club etc and just land it somewhere before the pin and let it roll (hopefully towards the pin and not too far).

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:

Bro CYP, everything said and done, I clearly noticed your English have improved tremendously. All your past posts were a bit of a doing zig saw puzzle first before I can understand your point. congrats... cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Yes, Titu that was a nice observation!

Used to fear chipping, now I love it. I even prefer to chip than putt from the fringe now. Bcoz my putting is worse Razz
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 pm

@ Tituman , Thanks a lot . i appreciate a lot !
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

pushslice wrote:
Yes, Titu that was a nice observation!

Used to fear chipping, now I love it. I even prefer to chip than putt from the fringe now. Bcoz my putting is worse Razz

That's something I like to see Panji..that you love chipping! now we need to get those putts rolling in!
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Am not a senior golfer yet ... but worth taking note ...

"
Choosing the Right Club For Chip Shots

Most senior golfers when asked what their club of choice for chip shots is would say their pitching wedge. This is not wrong, but there are certain things to keep in mind when choosing which club to chip with. In the professional golf world, there are two equally acceptable schools of thought:

1) All For One and One For All – These golfers have one club that does it all. These players control height and distance by adjusting their swing to chip the ball wherever it needs to go. This can take quite a bit of practice before you can become proficient and accurate.

2) Quiver Full of Clubs – Some golfers prefer to take advantage of the capabilities of individual clubs. These golfers have practiced a great deal with all of their clubs and in various scenarios – they know several clubs well and when they should use them. Each club will vary greatly in terms of distance and shot type (high, low, etc.). To master each club requires trying several different shots with each ones until you are comfortable and confident.

So which method do you choose? That’s the wonderful thing about golf – there are always many different methods and none of them are right or wrong. It really boils down to personal preference. Try both methods and see which one agrees with you more.

A senior golfer that is just beginning might be better off utilizing different clubs for various chip shots. The reason is that a new player is still developing a sense for his or her swing and control around the greens. Since different clubs produce different results, using them all only further acclimates the player to fundamental motions in golf. Over time, a beginner golfer may become more comfortable – and therefore, more successful – with a couple of different clubs for chip shots and will begin to use those particular clubs more often.

Intermediate to advanced golfers with a solid grasp of their clubs and swing fundamentals might consider making the move to one club for every chip shot. At this stage it is safe to assume that the player will be capable of learning how to manage his backswing and power his shot to achieve specific results. Particularly around the green, this mastery is important and controlling one specific ‘favorite’ club may be the better route.

Chipping is one of the more important skill sets to have in golf. Regardless of which method you choose to chip with, it is important that you practice, practice, practice to perfect your technique.
"
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 3:54 pm

In order to perform a chip shot to the best of a golfer's ability, one must:
1. Understand your golf club
2. Have a good grasp of basic technique, fundamentals
3. Practice various shots with different clubs
4. Have a solid routine
5. Trust and execute
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Trust in Jhan's words. He is one of my mentors in short game.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 5:43 pm

jhan was my coach too. I broke 90 under him. Just by learning the fundamentals to scramble for par and bogey from around the green more often since I rarely get GIR.

shorthitter is my current coach; he helped me instill good practice and make things even simpler so I don't have to think so much.

golf is much more enjoyable when you don't worry where your ball lands around the green bcoz youre confident of your chipping and maybe make one or two putts thereafter.

bro tourswing, book an hour with pro. we need a keen eye to check our mistakes.

Hogan said the secret is in the dirt - this is so true with short game. Because for ball striking we generally practice on rubber mat. but really for short game, there is no other way but hitting the chipping area.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I used to hate short game...

Once I start to love it.... I began to enjoy it and suddenly I become better than I was before

The rest is history as i start my pursuit to love things i used to hate

At present, I am stuck with fairway wood.... Sigh... Seems like a love hate thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Up and Down from around the green   Up and Down from around the green I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Up and Down from around the green
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next