Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What watch suitable for Golf

Go down 
+12
Khorkar
mojojojo
TigaWood
morganoh
Tituman
grooveballer
HyBriD
Birdman
opus
sunny
chemicalpro
cmclee
16 posters
AuthorMessage
cmclee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
cmclee

What watch suitable for Golf Empty
PostSubject: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi,
what watch do you wear during golf ? I was wondering if there is a suitable watch for golf. There was the Tiger Woods watch from Tag Heuer but I don't see many people wearing it. Some say that any Rolex models would do since they are made very robust. I would like hear your comments.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:06 pm

If you really need to keep track of the time maybe you should carry a pocket watch.

Otherwise its not so common for golfers to wear watches during play.

Guess it could be a distraction of some sort.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 pm

any battery or digital watches..

the impact vibration etc may spoil the movement...
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
opus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 am

I think Nike or adidas sports watch nice, puma one also nice
but, wear watch, a bit uncomfortable, affects the hinge
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 am

Of course the Tag Heuer is designed specifically for golf, the strap itself is hypoallergenic so you won't develop a rash from the sweating. The way the watch fastens is unique in itself too. It's not cheap though, probably the reason why not so many people wear it.

Sunnto has a golf watch too that measures your swing although I'm not exactly sure of all it's functions.

Mechanical watches are definitely out, as Sunny rightly says, the repeated shock of impact may damage the delicate movement, unless the watch is shock proofed, still, why take the chance of damaging an expensive watch?

One of the better digital options I feel are the Casio G Shock watches, although there are lighter options like Swatch, or Timex.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 am

One more thing....

choose a rubber strap or sports watch.

You can get a diver's watch too like Seiko

Timex is not as reliable as it look
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am

A watch enthusiaist friend of mine told me that for mechanical watches, only Rolex and Seiko movements are reputed to be robust enough to withstand the repeated impact shock from the golf swing.

Best watch to use would probably be a Casio G-shock, cheap and good.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

Ayoh..just go to those day market and buy a $5 digital watch la. Battery finish then just buy another new one. You be surprise there are some very nice looking digital watches on sale. Personally, I hang my pocket watch on my golf bag. Bought them cheap from Japan on my last visit years ago. Still hanging there after a battery change thats all.

Titu
Back to top Go down
morganoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 am

grooveballer wrote:
A watch enthusiaist friend of mine told me that for mechanical watches, only Rolex and Seiko movements are reputed to be robust enough to withstand the repeated impact shock from the golf swing.

Best watch to use would probably be a Casio G-shock, cheap and good.

I had a Rolex Watch and my dad in the High End watch industry told me never play golf with my rolex,
it would not damage the watch
but the shock would be too great and affect the accuracy of the watch.

But I had a Ball Watch which can withstand 5000G of force.
and never have any problem, I wear it alot during driving range ,
and my swing are not very good, always hit the mat 1st before I hit the ball, so I believe the shock is greatest when u hit the mat?

Take a look at the photos on how they test the Ball watch.
Its scary
http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_technology
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm

cmclee, why you need a watch for? you should be concentrating on your games!
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
cmclee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
cmclee

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:20 pm

haha seebayho, its just a habit lah. Btw, got any more putters for sale ?
Back to top Go down
mojojojo
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper
mojojojo

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi cmclee,

if you wanted to invest in a good golf watch, the Tag Heuer golf watch is indeed a good choice. But before you buy one, ask yourself whether you need it. I bought the Tag Heuer golf watch myself. I like it very much but sometimes I do not use it as I find it quite uncomfortable. From the advise of one of my friend in the watch industry, it will damage your rolex if you use it during golf.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 pm

you can also consider Polar. A bit ex for a digital but it also includes a heart monitor which you can use for jogging and running. Pretty useful and not to mention cool.
Back to top Go down
bono
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 pm

If you are into quality timepiece this manufacturer specializes in watches for golfers.

http://jaermann-stuebi.com/en/home.html

Fantastic looking works of art in my opinion.

For mere mortals like most of us, there always Sunnto or Timex which offers digital alternatives to help keep scores. I believe Sunnto has a lot more features such measure swing tempo etc etc..

http://gpsguyz.com/products/Suunto-G6-Golf-Watch.html

http://www.milnejewelry.com/Timex/watch120.html
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 am

i play golf dun wear watch....dun tink i need to keep looking at it....

to me, it feels funny.....

cant stand some of those tennis player wear watch to play... u really need to look at the time?

lolz.... no offense....
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:54 am

jaketang wrote:
i play golf dun wear watch....dun tink i need to keep looking at it....

to me, it feels funny.....

cant stand some of those tennis player wear watch to play... u really need to look at the time?

lolz.... no offense....

Same here. Thats why I just buy one of those pocket watch and hangs it on the golf bag. As and when need to know th etime, then go and look at it. Don't think that if I have an appointment nearby and I am at the golf course. Or maybe an item in ebay closing time clash with your golfing time? lol! lol!

Titu
Back to top Go down
scubawun
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:53 am

G-Shock.

if you don't want to wear it on your wrist, attach it to your belt loops!
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 12:35 pm

cmclee wrote:
Hi,
what watch do you wear during golf ? I was wondering if there is a suitable watch for golf. There was the Tiger Woods watch from Tag Heuer but I don't see many people wearing it. Some say that any Rolex models would do since they are made very robust. I would like hear your comments.

Thanks

Best to wear a quarts watch, Not Rolex, when I was a beginner I used a Rolex Submarina during practice
at the range, few days later I used it for jogging than I realised that my watch had stop woking, send to Rolex centre for repair it cost me $500 during the 90's they told me the winding rotor had snapped!!

If you used a quarts or Tag Heuer there's no problem!!

I now used a cheap Giodano watch $70.00 quarts for everything including fishing salt water!!!

cheeers
Swing Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What watch suitable for Golf   What watch suitable for Golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What watch suitable for Golf
Page 1 of 1