Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ballmarks On Green

Go down 
+20
mizzy
wilkang
Derek
Winston
Newtogolf
garylin
sob
blee67
pushslice
Birdman
mUAr_cHEe
sunny
clarencekim
Technospaz
jimmychoo
Duval_S
Uncle Lau
Ssquirrel
Lamts18
S70B
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
garylin

Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 am

good tip! I've been repairing ball marks wrongly...

-guilty look-
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

*raise hand guiltily*

I admit I haven't been repairing my divots and pitch marks since my caddy does it for me. In fact, whenever I take a divot the size of godzilla, I feel pretty bad ripping the grass up like that that I tried to repair it by taking the old grass and trying to pat the area down... To the horror of my caddy who ORDERED ME not to do anything while she got to her usual business.

Sigh... Wondering how am I gonna fit into SG Golf Course culture in the future....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Having grown up playing golf in Vietnam, different courses have different cultures regarding replacing / repairing of divots and ballmarks.

Song Be - After taking a divot, Picked up teh piece of grass and tried to replace the divot but the caddy scold me and instead place sand it the divot hole,

Twin Doves - After taking divot, wanting to replace it, caddy look at me with a puzzled look and ask "What are you doing?" and just walk away.

Song Be- Once a week, there will be the greens keeper and a group of caddies going around repairing ball marks on the greens. My friend taught me to always repair ball marks even if it is not our own. I have asked the caddies before why so many of htme don't repair ball marks on the greens? They say many times the players rush them and also telll them no need to repair. Normally, most times when the caddies see us going arounf the greens repairing ball marks, they will also do it.

Because of players not repairing the ball marks repairing it wrongly, this results in very regular coring of the greens which really really spoils the enjoyment of the game. Worst still, there are players who drag their feet on the greens.......
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I dunno about you guys, but I personally feel it is an honour to repair pitch marks, especially your own. It normally means that you have hit a good shot into the green.

Take the time, repair the mark, and relish the fact that as you get better, you will be repairing more of them.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Derek wrote:
I dunno about you guys, but I personally feel it is an honour to repair pitch marks, especially your own. It normally means that you have hit a good shot into the green.

Take the time, repair the mark, and relish the fact that as you get better, you will be repairing more of them.

I can attest to that bro. The few times I played with you, I have seen you repairing the pitch marks. Beer
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks bro ... I am looking forward to the day I have to repair 18 of my own pitch marks in 1 round of golf!
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Not forgetting about the divots on tee boxes too... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

you can repair fresh pitch marks.
old pitch marks will be hard for the grass to grow back. i just make sure the surface is flat..
unless the spot has no grass growing already, then can't do anything
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

mizzy wrote:
unless the spot has no grass growing already, then can't do anything

that one I call bunker...... clown
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 pm

wilkang wrote:
Not forgetting about the divots on tee boxes too... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

That one if repair properly ok but sometimes, I walk up to the tee box and it resemble a sand bunker... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:31 pm

besides good golf etiquette and also allowing the grass to grow back properly, there are 2 more reasons I love repairing ballmarks and filling up divots.

1) repair ballmarks means usually good approach shot = GIR. It makes me happy. birdie or par to come.

2) filling up divot means I am swinging well especially short irons. It also makes me happy. birdie or par to come.

All of us should try to think this way. Then we will be happy and score birdies, pars or bogeys. D-bogey we forget immediately lah, so end up still happy.
Have a good day guys! I am going golfing tomorrow, yippie!

Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 2:34 pm

can anyone confirm that divot in tee box NOT a must to repair. I heard these need to be specially repaired in a certain way.
Like to get the qn answered once n for all. Thks.
Back to top Go down
BigblackGoof
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
BigblackGoof

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:56 pm

pushslice wrote:
I played TMCC Gardens right after HSBC and you can imagine the greens were just awesome, smooth like a carpet. But during the marshall thank you game two days later, I found many pitch/ball marks un-repaired. Very ironic especially when marshalls were playing. I tried to repair them while waiting for others to putt. But I was quite dissapointed when one of my flight mate joked sarcastically that the other golfers dont repair because they know I will. Not funny. Suspect

Fighting! Laughing

Agree... played there last Sat with Tweety, many pitch marks on most of the greens... repaired some but have to bang seh the rest due to time constraint... sad...
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 am

In indonesia we are bless for having caddy repairing ball marks on green and divot during our round. However, I still see sometime they do not do it. I ever wrote a letter to my local course and complaining that most caddy is not repairing them during our round.

Now, some of those caddies hate to caddy for me as I always made sure they repair them and I always made it a point to look for my ball mark 1st when I walk to the green.

I do not do much of those now, since my approach shot hardly "on green", it is always around the apron or rough lol! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
lobspin2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

I repair my divots and also my ballmarks. I think that it's part and parcel of playing the game. I do not rely on my caddy to do it for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ballmarks On Green   Ballmarks On Green - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ballmarks On Green
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2