Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

gloves on both hands

Go down 
+13
garfield
Birdman
ghoonk
Technospaz
clarencekim
JonL_TK
Aloyboy
alvin7379
chemicalpro
opus
daveaha
Khorkar
guybrush
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

gloves on both hands Empty
PostSubject: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi guys,

sorry for the silly question
is it alrite for guys to wear gloves for both hands? seems like never see any golfer wear gloves on both hands..

thinking of getting glove for the right hand as my right hand develop blisters everytime i play 18holes. the 1st 9 hole is ok but back 9 hole my right hand start to feel pain and blisters will appear and it affect my performance as well..

btw do they sell golf gloves for right hand?

TIA Razz
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:51 pm

well, nothing wrong with it. it could be a sign that you are griping wrongly.

i have a friend that wear gloves both hand... he is a big feller. i give a lot of crap about it... he stop wear the gloves after a few holes... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Yup. Probably wrong gripping. But blisters are common with golfers actually. When I used my wedding ring on my left hand, it'll definitely generate severe blisters...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
opus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:29 pm

all i can say is glove on 2 hands = gross I love you
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 am

Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey wears, well, 2 gloves.

Do whatever to make you play better. Be it wearing 2 gloves or 3 socks, do it.

Here's his PGA profile:
http://www.pgatour.com/players/03/07/50/

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 am

Nothing wrong with wearing 2 gloves... but you may want to consider finding out why you have your blisters... as wearing gloves may make you loose some feel on the hands and oso reaching putting green can pose quite a hassle if you need to take both of them out! Razz

When I first started out, had blisters on both hands despite having glove on the left (meaning having glove did not really help) Later I found out that I was gripping too hard. As I was still learning to swing then, I did not catch most the shots on the sweet spot... so generated alot of vibration up the shaft and onto my hands when I hit off-centre shots thus also contributing to the blisters.

When I got my swing more consistent.. now I can play without gloves and it wouldn't give me blister problems.

Blisters can also be due to sweaty palms... worn-out grips... hitting your club against the ground (before contact with the ball) too much. So try to find out the cause rather to try put on additional protection to 'cover' the problem.. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:51 am

i tot gloves on both hands is for ladies?
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:57 am

Usually if you get blisters when playing... its a sign that your gripping too tight...
Which finger(s)/part of your hand gets blisters?
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:00 pm

actually i believe most ppl will get blisters until ur hands are season..
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 pm

I wear on both hands now for practice. Sometimes while putting even!

I get blisters on my right hand 'ring finger' (front and top knuckle).

I used to grip lightly, now harder--same problem.

During rounds, I usually dun wear right-hand glove.

I can play without gloves on both hands if necessary.

For me the 'feel' is not so much in the hands as in the mid-torso and back muscles.

My hands and arms just need to be extended during impact and hold on to the club.

A SPGA pro said to just wrap my right hand ring finger in a bandage/plaster strip to avoid callouses on it.

Yes many women wear gloves on both hands to keep them soft.

I have had complaints by some female 'friends' that my hands are too rough when touching them on their bare skin.

So to be a gentleman, I have been wearing two gloves while practicing.

Razz

CK
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm

This is one of those questions which boils down to how you personally prefer to play the game. There is no right answer except for the one which makes you feel most comfortable. I've seen golfers with no gloves, both hands gloved, one hand gloved etc.

At the end of the day, the approach which gets the ball in the hole the fastest (least number of strokes) is the best approach.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:29 pm

I stopped getting blisters on either hand since I stopped trying to strangle the grip. Grip has to be firm, arms loose, that's how you get power
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Yah, but that last knuckle of the right hand ring finger.... bloddy callus....
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 pm

No have leh. Don't grip so tight lah.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Don't think my grip too tight la..

Harvey Penick say like squeezing bird, I Birdman, you think I don't know how to squeeze bird?

Think it's from trying to whip through the impact that's why I get it. That little last knuckle rubs against the first joint of my left index finger (Vardon grip).

Think I'll make a conscious effort to tape it from now on.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 pm

wah, how fast is your swing speed? 120 mph ah? Wink
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:06 pm

Do I look like a Stuka dive bomber to you? I'm only a mosquito la.... 85mph max, but heng got consistent smash factor of 1.5.

Swing speed slow so maximise whip lor...
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 pm

almost all the 5 fingers got blisters here and there. i just played yesterday, now no blisters but very pain and the skin is dry.. i did put a tape on them yesterday but not much use. I dont think i grip too hard leh.. cause if loose i feel that the club will just fly off anytime haha..

JonL_TK wrote:
Usually if you get blisters when playing... its a sign that your gripping too tight...
Which finger(s)/part of your hand gets blisters?

maybe i just beginner so didnt really have a sweet impact everytime i hit Razz

and oh i putt with my grip on, too lazy to take out Razz

Last edited by guybrush on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
garfield
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garfield

Location : Latitude: 1º22´ North of the Equator, Longitude: 103º48´ East of Greenwich

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow say so bad? Probably good to have a club fitter check the grip. I got my grips changed and it solved my blisters problem. The original stock grip was too narrow and i was grabbing it with all
my life, fearful it'll fly off to heaven. Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Birdman wrote:
Do I look like a Stuka dive bomber to you? I'm only a mosquito la.... 85mph max, but heng got consistent smash factor of 1.5.

eh, i show you how to get speed, you show me how to get smash factor? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:17 pm

guybrush, 5 fingers got blister probably means Ur grip is wrong. Get a coach to check your grip. Or at the very least go to the pro shop and look for those training aids that put your hands in the perfect grip everytime. There are a few around with different prices.

Another possibility is that you might be re-gripping your club at the transition point from backswing to downswing, this guarantee got blister one. Again, have it checked.

Or it may even be as simple as cord grips that are giving you blisters since you say you are beginner. Your hands may not be accustomed to the abrasiveness. Corded grips have fabric threads that run through the rubber grip. It's akin to what you see when a tire wears down and the the fabric starts to show. Look at old lorry tires for example. There are softer corded grips these days like Golf Pride's Dual Durometer which also happens to have very good shock absortion properties. Or the ever popular New Decade Multi-compound (also multi-coloured) grips which are top half cord for grip and bottom half rubber for feel.

Finally, to check if your grip is the right size:
Take your grip with both hands, then remove the right hand while still holding on with the left.
The tips of your middle and ring finger of your left hand should just comfortable touch the fleshy pad of your hand beneath your thumb. Pressing in too much means too small grips and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:19 pm

ghoonk wrote:
Birdman wrote:

eh, i show you how to get speed, you show me how to get smash factor? Very Happy

Then become dynamic duo!!!! ROFL

But not this type of duo! Face Hug

affraid

On!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm

They are called David Leadbetter training grips. Very useful -- stick one on your 7i and keep it in the bag. Not like we are playing tournaments etc, but it does help one to get into the habit of gripping the club correctly.

Also, NDMC grips are half cord, and it's not kind on fingers. Cord grips are the way to learn to not grip the club too tight. Self-preservation will force you to not grip the club in a deathlike fashion Smile
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Birdman wrote:
ghoonk wrote:
Birdman wrote:

Then become dynamic duo!!!! ROFL

But not this type of duo! Face Hug

affraid

On!

You gonna be around after CNY? I can play on Day 3 or Day 4 if you can make it. Ask aqumon as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Sounds like a plan!

Think Day 3 better option for me, not sure if I have to return to work on Day 4.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gloves on both hands   gloves on both hands I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

gloves on both hands
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next