Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review on Impian Emas golf course

Go down 
+14
navigatore
Kaii
miketbh
yaozza07
Jw2827
kinglc
klt8144
Sandypar
simoner
Ocean
Jimbroni
Tituman
rocky
pr1nc3ssdi
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pr1nc3ssdi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pr1nc3ssdi

Review on Impian Emas golf course Empty
PostSubject: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:12 pm

hi fellow grs,

anyone been to impian emas care to give some review on this course? eg. cow grass? level of difficulty? Smile
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Once upon a time, somebody told the Rock about a challenging 9 hole course in JB called Impian. So Rocky and his Dad went to check it out. The name of the course is Impian Emas. Impian? Not so. In Pain. Yes.

Impian Emas is managed by the same people at Ponderosa. Located along the Skudai Highway #1, it is deeply tucked out of the hustle and bustle of the busy streets of Johore. Locating the place is a challenge if you don't know the place and don't have a GPS. We got lost and had to ask around for directions but eventually got to the place.

To my dismay (actually, horror is more like it) there is NO CLUBHOUSE. There is only a 6 - 8 bay driving range, locker room, dining area and a kitchen. The locker room is, by far, the absolute "BEST". There are only 2 benches in the locker room. And when I got there, there was one uncle with his dirty underwear on the bench. Out of courtesy I waited for him to remove his "item" before I proceeded to change into my golfing attire. One more quirk about the locker: there was a drawer and no shoe rack. My question is: why would a golfer need a drawer more than a shoe rack? Apparently the designer was not really thinking... well there's more.

Hole #1
Downhill tee shot to a bumpy fairway, uphill to a small green with bunkers guarding the sides. Sounds ok. So I teed off but the ball didn't roll much. Ok, so not much roll today, I thought.
Finished off the hole - double bogey.

Hole #2
Cannot find the hole. Searched around the course for some 10 minutes and finally found it. It was located, I think, maybe 10KM away from hole #1 loh!

Par 5. Driver - hit down the fairway, landed next to a bunker. No problem. 2nd shot - 3 wood. Sweet shot! Found the fairway again! Woo hoo! 3rd shot was my approach shot uphill to an elevated green. I took out my range finder. 108m to clear the elevation, 148 to the back of the hill that guards the green. Easy peasy - 6 iron (my 135m club). Smacked that sweet and felt those Mizuno chills up my brain - woo hoo!!! The ball soared beautifully into the air into a textbook draw, landed on the green and rolled out of sight. "On the green!" I said to myself. But to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

The rest of the holes were a complete blur to me. I cannot remember what I did anymore.

There were 2 more quirks that happened to me.

Hole #8
Water on the right. So I remember Jarlz told me to tee nearer to the danger. So I did. Hit a fade (read: Slice) with the driver. Good, high tee shot, landed outside of the fairway. "Ok, cool" I thought.
When I got to the spot, again, to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

Hole #??? - Par 5
2nd shot - downhill, semi-blind shot. I hit a low 7 iron, trying to let it roll down the slope. I saw the ball head towards the bunker. "Bunker training time!" When I got to the bunker, again, to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

Summary
Positives (Let me TRY!)
1. Hole Layout is challenging - 30+ bunkers for 9 holes is a statement.
2. Landscaping is not too bad - they do have water fountains.
3. Locker Room has a hair dryer - Orchard didn't!

Negatives
1. Patches of cowgrass growing on fairway
2. Course Layout is stupidity at its best. During the drive from Hole #1 to Hole #2 I can finish my sandwich, have a Beer, take a short nap, etc, etc, etc.
3. Buggies - My bag fell off the buggy twice. Twice!!! Ouch!
4. Locker design deserves an award for Most Useless Drawer Award.
5. Locker Room design deserves another award for the Least Benches in a Locker Room Award.
6. The ONLY, and I say the ONLY course that I've been to that I've been bitten by a mosquito!

Rocky's Ratings
1. Course Playability: *
2. Clubhouse: How to give when there's none?
3. Locker Room Facilities: *
4. Food: ***
5. Value for money: * (heard from somebody they just increased prices)

Cheers
Back to top Go down
pr1nc3ssdi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pr1nc3ssdi

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 pm

rocky wrote:
Once upon a time, somebody told the Rock about a challenging 9 hole course in JB called Impian. So Rocky and his Dad went to check it out. The name of the course is Impian Emas. Impian? Not so. In Pain. Yes.

Impian Emas is managed by the same people at Ponderosa. Located along the Skudai Highway #1, it is deeply tucked out of the hustle and bustle of the busy streets of Johore. Locating the place is a challenge if you don't know the place and don't have a GPS. We got lost and had to ask around for directions but eventually got to the place.

To my dismay (actually, horror is more like it) there is NO CLUBHOUSE. There is only a 6 - 8 bay driving range, locker room, dining area and a kitchen. The locker room is, by far, the absolute "BEST". There are only 2 benches in the locker room. And when I got there, there was one uncle with his dirty underwear on the bench. Out of courtesy I waited for him to remove his "item" before I proceeded to change into my golfing attire. One more quirk about the locker: there was a drawer and no shoe rack. My question is: why would a golfer need a drawer more than a shoe rack? Apparently the designer was not really thinking... well there's more.

Hole #1
Downhill tee shot to a bumpy fairway, uphill to a small green with bunkers guarding the sides. Sounds ok. So I teed off but the ball didn't roll much. Ok, so not much roll today, I thought.
Finished off the hole - double bogey.

Hole #2
Cannot find the hole. Searched around the course for some 10 minutes and finally found it. It was located, I think, maybe 10KM away from hole #1 loh!

Par 5. Driver - hit down the fairway, landed next to a bunker. No problem. 2nd shot - 3 wood. Sweet shot! Found the fairway again! Woo hoo! 3rd shot was my approach shot uphill to an elevated green. I took out my range finder. 108m to clear the elevation, 148 to the back of the hill that guards the green. Easy peasy - 6 iron (my 135m club). Smacked that sweet and felt those Mizuno chills up my brain - woo hoo!!! The ball soared beautifully into the air into a textbook draw, landed on the green and rolled out of sight. "On the green!" I said to myself. But to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

The rest of the holes were a complete blur to me. I cannot remember what I did anymore.

There were 2 more quirks that happened to me.

Hole #8
Water on the right. So I remember Jarlz told me to tee nearer to the danger. So I did. Hit a fade (read: Slice) with the driver. Good, high tee shot, landed outside of the fairway. "Ok, cool" I thought.
When I got to the spot, again, to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

Hole #??? - Par 5
2nd shot - downhill, semi-blind shot. I hit a low 7 iron, trying to let it roll down the slope. I saw the ball head towards the bunker. "Bunker training time!" When I got to the bunker, again, to my utter dismay, horror and @#$%^&.... cannot find the ball.

Summary
Positives (Let me TRY!)
1. Hole Layout is challenging - 30+ bunkers for 9 holes is a statement.
2. Landscaping is not too bad - they do have water fountains.
3. Locker Room has a hair dryer - Orchard didn't!

Negatives
1. Patches of cowgrass growing on fairway
2. Course Layout is stupidity at its best. During the drive from Hole #1 to Hole #2 I can finish my sandwich, have a Beer, take a short nap, etc, etc, etc.
3. Buggies - My bag fell off the buggy twice. Twice!!! Ouch!
4. Locker design deserves an award for Most Useless Drawer Award.
5. Locker Room design deserves another award for the Least Benches in a Locker Room Award.
6. The ONLY, and I say the ONLY course that I've been to that I've been bitten by a mosquito!

Rocky's Ratings
1. Course Playability: *
2. Clubhouse: How to give when there's none?
3. Locker Room Facilities: *
4. Food: ***
5. Value for money: * (heard from somebody they just increased prices)

Cheers

Wow ! I couldn't help but to laugh at your description (sorry tongue ) ok, i think I'll steer clear of this course.. thanks dude
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:40 pm

It's demoralising, frustrating and #$^& when things happen but after that, I'll just laugh about it and move on. At least I came back to tell the story, at the same time make people like you laugh. I'm cool with it. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
pr1nc3ssdi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
pr1nc3ssdi

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

well, the name says it all?

ImPian... I m PAIN Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Rocky I must say you must be spoilt for choices la. Played too many premiun courses liao la. I managed to play a couple of times there last year and it really not as bad as you sound. Maybe I have been playing too much of Daiman 18 that any where else is still better.
Yeah I would not say top notch but still playable la. Thats my honest opinion lor. I wonder why you said you could not find Hole 2 as I remembered I dont have such problem. Yeah you are right on target as regards to the Locker room though...sigh..pathetic.. pale Well anyway, as long as I can go and play a round of golf, whatever condition, I would take it anytime rather than working in the office. Right or not??? lol!

Titu Swing good putt Hooray
Back to top Go down
Jimbroni
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 12:21 am

Cant find hole no:2 lol, seriously
Back to top Go down
Ocean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am

Rocky, thanks for the detailed write up on Impian, I better drop the idea of trying out this course, esp when there are so many nice courses nearby....
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 6:55 am

Played Impian a few times. Not the best course around but it's a good practice course. Very few people playing this course, so can take your time - hit a few more shot, practice your short game or drives.

IMHO, it's quite good value on a weekday
Back to top Go down
Sandypar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 9:45 am

It's definitely worth a visit. The temporary clubhouse is spartan but serves
It's purpose. Changing room is a bit small but clean.

One of the good nine holes I have played on. Rolling terrain with a couple
Of nice elevated tees and greens.

Condition was okay when I last played there couple of months back.

Back to top Go down
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

Tituman wrote:
Hi Rocky I must say you must be spoilt for choices la. Played too many premiun courses liao la. I managed to play a couple of times there last year and it really not as bad as you sound. Maybe I have been playing too much of Daiman 18 that any where else is still better.
Yeah I would not say top notch but still playable la. Thats my honest opinion lor. I wonder why you said you could not find Hole 2 as I remembered I dont have such problem. Yeah you are right on target as regards to the Locker room though...sigh..pathetic.. pale Well anyway, as long as I can go and play a round of golf, whatever condition, I would take it anytime rather than working in the office. Right or not??? lol!

Titu Swing good putt Hooray

I agree with Tituman... I see at this course as not bad...ya,, i oso think that Rocky had played too many premium cousres.. I would say its worth to play there and its quite challenging. Hole#2 is just on the right of H1...just a right turn. Nevertheless, rocky's description so funny... cheers
Back to top Go down
kinglc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Jus played the 9 hole this morning.

Indeed,many bunkers surrounding e green.
Albeit the modest facilities, its a good practise ground.

Will be going back again soon.

Back to top Go down
Jw2827
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I agree with the above review. Having played at this course twice in 2015 (July and Oct), I was initially lost trying to find #2 hole. We thought that the #6 hole was the #2 hole and played off. Only when we reached the #7 hole then we realised we were lost. So off we went to find #2 hole. 

Took us a good 10 min before we locate the place. 

Locker room is comparable to a dingy office toilet. When we went into the toilet, fan and lights were off, so there was no ventilation. Had to turn it off/on yourself. To our horror, a staff was sleeping on the bench and both her and myself got quite a bit of a shock. She probably was not feeling well. 2 toilet and 2 showers. At least there is hot water the both times I was there. 

Canteen / Cafe. Service is slow at best. Food and drinks are nothing to shout about. 

The flight in front of us consisted of 5 players (Malaysian chinese males). Posing for selfies at every single hole and holding up every flight after. But no problem, in boleh land must always be patient. We just chill and watch in amazement at the number of selfies taken. More 'hiaw' than my flight of ladies. I think they had a ton of fun. 

Another group of golfers (Malaysian chinese males) were swearing hokkien vulgarities like no tomorrow. Loud and uncouth. They were on the opposite fairways and it was not pleasant. Think they were looking for lost balls quite a fair bit of time. 

Mosquitoes abound. If you forgot your repellent, be prepared to be eaten alive. 

Paid 75RM for weekend 9 Hole. With RM10 voucher for canteen.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Decent Golf course, nothing amazing but good value for money. Paid rm60 for 9 hole yesterday am. Starter will let you tee off from anywhere to avoid slow players.
Back to top Go down
miketbh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 pm

This is my 'Mother In Law''s golf course 15 min away from my MIL's 'bungalow' .
So when visting her i go play 9 hole there  instead of shopping at TESCO,JUSTCO.

No marshall. So play two balls. Solo driving a buggy up and down and around .... for 20 sing dollars only.

I didn't see much golfers or mosquitoes usually because my timing is 1 to 3pm. Once it was raining quite heavily and quite windy , after waiting on buggy and see no lighting  i decided to just play-on.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Most of the greens are narrow and surrounded by deep sand bunkers. The lack of sand and small gravels in the bunkers make it hard to get out especially when the sands are wet.

The greens have small opening and some elevated so most of the approach shots have to carry on the green. Decent green speed and maintenance but poor up-keep , do watch out for sink holes on the fairways that are big enough to sink your buggy.

Poor course design and layout with a couple of holes teeing into the morning sun. Watch out for golfer teeing off from Hole 8 when you are driving from Hole 1 to 2. Balls from Hole 1 when you are in Hole 9 fairway.
Back to top Go down
Jw2827
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Had a game in the rain. 

(1) Fairway gets soggy when it rains. Squelching around in mud was part of the fun. Once my ball drop onto the fairway, there was no way to hit it as only the top was visible. Had to pop the ball out in order to hit it. Crater on the fairway looked like a meteor landed.

(2) Course marshall was anything but polite when we didn't need any assistance washing the clubs. My friend saw a ball dropped around the washing area, ask me if it was mine. Bend down to pick it and was accused by the course marshall of stealing his range balls. He went on to make disparaging remarks about how we were 'rich' but too 'poor' to buy golf balls.
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:53 am

Jw2827 wrote:
Had a game in the rain. 

(1) Fairway gets soggy when it rains. Squelching around in mud was part of the fun. Once my ball drop onto the fairway, there was no way to hit it as only the top was visible. Had to pop the ball out in order to hit it. Crater on the fairway looked like a meteor landed.

(2) Course marshall was anything but polite when we didn't need any assistance washing the clubs. My friend saw a ball dropped around the washing area, ask me if it was mine. Bend down to pick it and was accused by the course marshall of stealing his range balls. He went on to make disparaging remarks about how we were 'rich' but too 'poor' to buy golf balls.

What a bizarre experience you had
Back to top Go down
navigatore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 am

Impian Emas was designed by renowned American golf architect Ronald Fream (TMCC Garden course), so it is not some hackers paradise or playground. I had played many rounds there and is definitely one of the better 9 holes courses you can find in Malaysia.
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 11:48 am

I've only played there once and I too find that it's one of the better 9 holes I've ever played.

given how cheap the green fee is, I don't think it's fair to expect great service or facilities. in any case, I did not have any issues with marshalls. the starter at the course was actually very friendly.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 6:22 pm

does anyone realise that Impian Emas don't have a slope rating on it scorecard?
Back to top Go down
navigatore
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Impian Emas slope rating should be around 120..
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 11:22 pm

wow , u must be a very good player to rate it at 120. if I can remember the old card rating was 130
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Cannot submit scorecard also, don't have the box. Everytime I play well there cannot reduce my handicap.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Yaozza07, you should submit your card to your home club or the organization (e.g. MyGolfKaki) that maintains your handicap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review on Impian Emas golf course   Review on Impian Emas golf course I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review on Impian Emas golf course
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next