Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?

Go down 
+8
Kopi Towkay
Right_sided_coach
shorthitter
Technospaz
Khorkar
Lamts18
sunny
m0i
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? Empty
PostSubject: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Need to shout "Ball" or "4" if playing Tiger-Line?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:07 am

you shouldn't be even hitting if there is a risk of you hitting someone there... just my opinion...if that part of the fairway is clear, then i guess there isn't a need to unless your ball is not perfect and may end up hitting someone
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:08 am

IMHO, better to shout ball ,'fore', '4' just in case your ball land near to another flight. its good etiquette. Smile
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 am

Not me lar. lol.. :p But i seen long hitter executing this shot. Ball went straight and far(as in to their wanted landing zone). But after flew over the trees, noone can see.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:20 am

Lamts18 wrote:
IMHO, better to shout ball ,'fore', '4' just in case your ball land near to another flight. its good etiquette. Smile

I think I even more kiasu...if i feel that there might be another flight, i wouldn't even play the ball. I personally feel that hearing the word fore or ball doesn't really help you avoid the ball...unless it is a wayward shot, having a ball landed near me cos someone deliberately hit it to me and shouting fore isn't gonna make me feel happy...
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 am

For ball on amok or berserk, I was tought that the correct term is FORE and not ball.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:15 am

I don't think it makes any difference whether it's BALL or FORE. What is important is that you shout it out to alert other players of an impending ball. Remember, you shout whenever the ball goes out of sight regardless of whether you think there are players there.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:33 am

Golf History FAQ: Why Do Golfers Yell "Fore" for Errant Shots?
By Brent Kelley, About.com

"Fore" is another word for "ahead" (think of a ship's fore and aft). Yelling "fore" is simply a shorter way to yell "watch out ahead" (or "watch out before"). It allows golfers to be forewarned, in other words.

The British Golf Museum cites an 1881 reference to "fore" in a golf book, establishing that the term was already in use at that early date (the USGA suggests the term may have been in use as early as the 1700s). The museum also surmises that the term evolved from "forecaddie."

A forecaddie is a person who accompanies a group around the golf course, often going forward to be in a position to pinpoint the locations of the groups' shots. If a member of the group hit an errant shot, the thinking goes, they may have alerted the forecaddie by yelling out the term. It was eventually shorted to just "fore."

A popular theory is that the term has a military origin. In warfare of the 17th and 18th century (a time period when golf was really taking hold in Britain), infantry advanced in formation while artillery batteries fired from behind, over their heads. An artilleryman about to fire would yell "beware before," alerting nearby infantrymen to drop to the ground to avoid the shells screaming overhead.

So when golfers misfired and send their missiles - golf balls - screaming off target, "beware before" became shortened to "fore."

This is another term, however, whose exact origin can't be stated. It does originate, however, in the fact that "fore" means "ahead" and, used by a golfer, is a warning to those ahead.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:40 am

Techno,

I see otherwise, we should be using specific terms. The reason is as per the above not that I am overzealous about rules but from a safety perspective, the coin term should only be use stray balls posing lively hazards to other players. The term Ball is too broad, it can be meant for anything from hitting the ball to the physical item as in the ball itself.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:51 am

Technospaz wrote:
I don't think it makes any difference whether it's BALL or FORE. What is important is that you shout it out to alert other players of an impending ball. Remember, you shout whenever the ball goes out of sight regardless of whether you think there are players there.

Makes a big difference.... Laughing you dont call a club a bat... a golf course a paddock... it is the correct term, why not use it????

If student shouts ball when doing PC test they fail lol! Just like showing up late!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 11:02 am

shorthitter wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Makes a big difference.... Laughing you dont call a club a bat... a golf course a paddock... it is the correct term, why not use it????

If student shouts ball when doing PC test they fail lol! Just like showing up late!!!!

Agree with you there shorty. The corect word is FORE. I was suprised when playing NSRCC at Changi they actually had a sign saying to yell BALL or FORE. First time I had heard of it. Same for me, you yell BALL you fail PC.
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 11:28 am

Shorthitter is 1000000000% correct.

If a golfer wants to yell "Ball", he oughta become a baseball homeplate umpire instead.

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 pm

If I yell 'ball' in the US or Australia/NZ, other golfers often will stare at me in confusion or ignore me completely. If I yell 'fore' in Asia, other golfers will also stare at me in confusion or ignore me completely--especially beginners or non-PC holders.

There's a good argument for 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'.

However, the honourable & venerable R&A Rules of Golf state 'fore' as the proper term to use if a ball might land into another group of golfers.

It helps in terms of safety if groups in front at blind-shot holes where there is a signal bell or traffic signal use the devices to avoid incoming (potentially lethal) projectiles (golf balls from the group behind).

Safety first.

CK
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Honestly i am shouting Ball. Somehow it is the first word came to my mind.
Wat most impt is i alert others if my ball flew the unintended direction. But to look good on paper and to pass test, i will use the word fore. I agree with wat ck said...main objective is people understand and safety first.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:34 pm

I didn't know that shouting BALL was incorrect. I've always shouted FORE anyway (though I may have shouted ball once or twice). The point I was making is that what is important is to alert the players in the course of a wayward ball.

Since you guys say that shouting BALL is incorrect, let me ask you this. If you were playing on the course and someone shouted BALL, wouldn't you duck/take precaution?

The point is this: while the shouting of FORE is the proper way, the point is making sure that surrounding players are warned of the mishit. For me, if someone yells FORE or BALL, I'll take cover regardless.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:51 pm

In Singapore people change lanes in traffic without indicating, of course I take evasive action, it does not make it right though... Very Happy

The point is if you are overseas playing golf and shout ball it may not be understood... thus causing problem...

But you are correct at least you shout something!!!
bounce
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 pm

shorthitter wrote:
In Singapore people change lanes in traffic without indicating, of course I take evasive action, it does not make it right though... Very Happy

The point is if you are overseas playing golf and shout ball it may not be understood... thus causing problem...

But you are correct at least you shout something!!!
bounce

Sure, I agree that shouting BALL doesn't make it right even though the intention is the same.

So, let's make sure that we set an example for other golfers in Singapore.

Folks, please shout FORE if you inadvertently hit a wayward ball.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Easier still just hit it straight! Swing lol!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Not too long ago, I asked this question to my Dutch colleagues (believe it or not, they do play golf Very Happy ). Despite the language difference, they also shouted fore.

Last edited by Khorkar on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:00 pm

shorthitter wrote:

Geez, why didn't I think of this Razz There was a time when I spent more time shouting fore than hitting straight Sad
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Let me check with the Gurus here.

- If I take a tiger line and I know that my shot reached the fairway, from players perspective, should I shout "Fore"?

- What's worst off? A person not shouting "Fore" or shouting "ball".
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Let me check with the Gurus here.

- If I take a tiger line and I know that my shot reached the fairway, from players perspective, should I shout "Fore"?

- What's worst off? A person not shouting "Fore" or shouting "ball".

IMHO, a person not shouting "Fore."
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Or worse, some jacka** picking up the ball which landed next to him (or even hit him) UNINTENTIONALLY and throwing the other golfer's ball as far as he can into the nearest OB or water--followed by loud verbal obsecenities and threats of physical assult.

I have witnessed serious 'pushing matches' and minor brawls on American public golf courses before--especially if they were drinking booze while playing.

Shocked

CK
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 pm

I wonder if I shout C4, what will happen?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 3:34 pm

shorthitter wrote:

Not so easy afterall... Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?   Need to shout "Ball" or "4"? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need to shout "Ball" or "4"?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next