Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Driver Shots

Go down 
+15
Ssquirrel
maryet
slinger
weich
weesern
tronos
jaketang
Quest
shotah
Cyp_PGA
ughly
pocketace
asahi
Duval_S
sebastianlim
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 pm

I think this question must have been asked numerous. but i not sure what is it called. thus i had better open a new thread to clarify..

Nowadays whenever i drive, the ball will tend to go to the right. means like. fly high then spin to the right..

1) would want to know what kind of shot is this called?
2)Cause of this??
3)How to reatify?

I have also thought, that it could be because my swing is too fast, thus the club whip etc that cause it or something...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 pm

pardon my ignorance...but isn't this a fade....

Mine is like this....not sure why...but i had embraced it....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 pm

yea. Me playing with slight fade now and ok with it. :-)

Me thinks a slight fade is better than a draw shot. Draw shots harder to control.
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 pm

fade arh? o.O okay..

draw is wad arh?.. balll fly high and spin to the lefT?
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm

asahi wrote:
yea. Me playing with slight fade now and ok with it. :-)

Me thinks a slight fade is better than a draw shot. Draw shots harder to control.

PGA pros like to learn how to fade their shots because they want to take the 'left side' of the fairway out of play in case if they over-cook their draw tee shots and drift into left rough/hazards

but then again, PGA pros are already hitting such long tee shots, so, for them fade is good because the ball is high and fade shots does not run much, pretty much drop and stop.

bottom line is, there are pros and cons to fade vs draw. I went from fading my tee shots to drawing to hooking. Now managed to fixed it after lessons... I feel that hooks (IMO, not draws) are very hard to control cos the ball run and run... usually into hazard

For us hackers, a draw will give more distance (we all crave for distance huh?). But if fade is the only tee shot you can execute, just live with it and play the game. As long as your tee shot leaves you to hit your approach from the short grass, it should be fine
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 pm

strange lei.. i thought everyone would want to have their shots to be straight?

for me is that i hope its always straight.. no point for me to go left right.. very tiring sia.. sometimes left ball gone.. fly right ball also gone..

straight, centre, ball on the fairway Very Happy..
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:23 pm

I used to have a slice shot off the driver as well. Changed to TM R7 Draw and then it became a slight fade. But even then it is difficult to control, especially when the fairway is narrow or if there are a lot fairway bunkers.

So i tried to close the club face slightly and now i have a pretty straight shot off the driver.

It is probably better to fix the swing then to change the clubface of the driver. But this has been a quick fix for me.
Back to top Go down
ughly
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ughly

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm

My friend who is a scratch has a pretty serious draw on all his shots, including irons. I also don't know why. But his ball goes freaking far. His drive average 280...pretty crazy..I think it's because of the extra roll caused by the draw as mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:28 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
strange lei.. i thought everyone would want to have their shots to be straight?

for me is that i hope its always straight.. no point for me to go left right.. very tiring sia.. sometimes left ball gone.. fly right ball also gone..

straight, centre, ball on the fairway Very Happy..

agree... straight is the best... but if you can be straight mostly... good for you. for me, somehow my swing in the past is hooked.... now a controlled draw. I'll take it. but somehow, most ppl play with fades, they've come to terms with it I guess. we all want straight... but we cannot execute straight tee shots all the time due to swing tendencies...
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:02 am

WHEN U FADES A DRIVER U LOSE UP TO 30 METER COMPARE TO A DRAW I PLAY DRAW BUT WHEN I NEED TO I CAN FADE IT
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 am

but when you cannot control a draw, it becomes a hook and will end up OB. Smile
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 am

I read this somewhere:

A ball that goes from right to left is a draw.
A ball that goes from left to right is a fade.
A ball that goes straight is a miracle.

Seriously, a draw would give more distance as there is more roll where a fade will tend to drop dead or roll a couple of feet. PGA pros prefer to play a fade as it is easier to control and avoid the rough. From what I read, Tiger Woods' natural driver tee shot is a baby fade.

I tend to draw the ball, but any shot for me is fine as long as the ball is in the short stuff rather than in the rough.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 am

striaght is almost quite impossible....
everyone will have some tendencies....(fade or draw, sometimes is more like hook or slice)
even pro's will sometimes concentrate on one but still need to execute both.. but when under pressure, normally the tendencies will surface...
those who can control better on both will be the top top players..

last but not least, i believe they wuold prefer the fade (if distance not a issue) coz they can land the ball w/o much roll to their target (be it somewhere in fairway or green)
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am

haha .thanks to those who answer..

now i know why so many people drive a fade in the range liao..

i guess now i will do spend time and do my own way to make the ball fly straight..

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 10:28 am

when i try try hit my driver

on the spot = almost straight but a hint of fade (200m) (slight left to right).
fade mistake = higher flight and shorter distance (160m) and ball fade slightly further right (start straight then fade right). Once on the course front 9 all power fade OB Razz, so back 9 all aim left and almost all land on the fairway
draw mistake = i cannot draw..... but i hook a lot. real nasty hook (100m).

Surprisingly easier to hook than slice (and more nasty)

beginners like myself should concentrate on the straight (but actually fade). BTW i swing very slow (100m strong 8 iron)
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 10:30 am

actually many golf courses are straight.. why would many wish to fade their shots?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:16 am

coz there are trees in front of u???
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am

Or water hazards?
Back to top Go down
weich
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm

why would a draw be longer than a fade? I can't seem to figure that out... cos aren't both just spinning in opposite directions?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm

the landing angle should be one of the factors.. the loft of the club on impact is deloft so give a bit more distance
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:15 pm

sebastianlim wrote:
actually many golf courses are straight.. why would many wish to fade their shots?

no lah, not all holes are straight, there will be those dog-leg left n right holes......

its important that u managed the course rather than the course managed u..... nobody say must always use driver mah.... unless u are a cheongster, then u need to able to draw/fade your shots at will
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 pm

i always felt that a straight drive is always longer then either a fade or draw..

correct?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm

my drives are mostly a fade, its in my swing liao, do i want to hit a draw, of cos i would like to, but it takes time n effort which i dun have the luxury, but i live with my fade as long as my ball is on the short grass....

everyone wants to hit long, but distance without control is nothing....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Quest wrote:
I read this somewhere:

A ball that goes from right to left is a draw.
A ball that goes from left to right is a fade.
A ball that goes straight is a miracle.

i also like to hit straight..... but is it possible for 14 holes

dun buy too much into the distance part of the game, consistency is the most important....imho
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm

i think keeping the drive straight is possible.

at one point of time , i managed to did it..

but now cant Sad.. dont know is it coz my swing too fast or club too whippy..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Driver Shots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driver Shots   Driver Shots I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver Shots
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next