Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?

Go down 
+3
Duval_S
ghoonk
Golf Rookie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Golf Rookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? Empty
PostSubject: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 1:40 am

just wondering if someone could explain what gimme the green means?

also, sometimes i see people here saying to give strokes and then saying something like 9-9 or 3-4-5 or...something like that. what do the numbers mean?

thanks for explaining to a noob!
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 2:18 am

if you putt the ball to within putter length of the pin, your playing kakis may just 'give' you the shot, so you don't have to putt it in, just count it as one stroke. Hence, a 'gimme'

giving strokes works like this:

let's say your playing partner 'gives' you 4-4. that means on the front 9, you get 4 strokes, and same for the back 9. which means, if he shoots a 45 on the front 9, and you shoot a 48, then 48-4 = 44, which means you beat his 45. if you shoot 50, then 50-4=46, which loses to his 45. Then apply the same for the back 9.

hope that helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:11 am

Quote :
ghoonk wrote:
if you putt the ball to within putter length of the pin, your playing kakis may just 'give' you the shot, so you don't have to putt it in, just count it as one stroke. Hence, a 'gimme'

giving strokes works like this:

let's say your playing partner 'gives' you 4-4. that means on the front 9, you get 4 strokes, and same for the back 9. which means, if he shoots a 45 on the front 9, and you shoot a 48, then 48-4 = 44, which means you beat his 45. if you shoot 50, then 50-4=46, which loses to his 45. Then apply the same for the back 9.

hope that helps Smile
Hi bro....just checking....if someone give 4/4 as example, is it common or SOP to assume that it is as what you illustrated or is it to imply to the 4 low index hole only? reason for asking, because recently I kena confused and just follow s
Back to top Go down
JupJup
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
JupJup

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 10:46 am

4/4 can be match play or stroke play, if match play index 1 3 5 7, or 2 4 6 8 you are given one stroke each, but for stroke play just the total stroke of the first 9 and second 9..
Back to top Go down
Golf Rookie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:07 am

thanks for the explanations! actually, another nood question: does it matter which hole you are giving stroke or which 9? in the end it affects the total outcome the same way?

also, sometimes i see 3-4-5, does this mean the game is for 3 x 9 holes?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 11:39 am

In golf we also learn mathematics. I wonder if they will ever have 4/4 in next years maths paper Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Golf Rookie wrote:
thanks for the explanations! actually, another nood question: does it matter which hole you are giving stroke or which 9? in the end it affects the total outcome the same way?

also, sometimes i see 3-4-5, does this mean the game is for 3 x 9 holes?

nobody will ever give 3 4 5. Sure lose.

Anyway that means either match play or stroke play 3 extra strokes for par 3, 4 extra for par 4 and 5 extra for par 5.

As for which hole you give for 4/4 etc, it is very important for the correct holes with lowest index if it is match play. It could affect result drastically
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:06 pm

means give ratan lah... 4-4 means 4 strokes in the morning and 4 strokes in the evening... DGman is very good at giving strokes in his storeroom... if unclear, feel free to drop him a PM... i am sure a free demo is very possible:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?   what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what does gimme the green mean and how to give strokes?
Page 1 of 1