Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers

Go down 
+6
ChrisD
willytan
flashpacker
DKing
wolverine
milesandcoltrane
10 posters
AuthorMessage
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers Empty
PostSubject: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Am currently gaming a Maruman Exim Nano Extra Impact 10* loft SR flex driver. This driver worked well for my old swing which was slow and tended to slice the ball. However after going for a few lessons with AK at Laguna, i've learnt to swing correctly and with more confidence now am swinging faster.

AK mentioned that the shaft in this Maruman is too soft for me, and the head is also very closed. Am looking for a new driver. Seems hard to find a place with a luanch monitor to try clubs (unless one pays for a fitting).

However I've demoed the following clubs at Golf House Paragon (had GC2 there but the guy said have to pay for a fitting to use it) as well as Taylormade at Cathay. As demo was only done indoors very difficult to judge ball flight. Can only comment on feel - 

Taylormade R15 10.5* Loft - R Flex: felt really really really solid on good hits. Sound was lower pitched and loud. Feel was probably a bit too solid though as on mishits could feel the sting in my hands a bit.

Taylormade R15 10.5* Loft - S Flex: same as above. Probably felt a bit more solid than R Flex (but that could just be placebo) however on mishits could really feel the clubhead twisting (grip area literally twisted while in my hands)

Taylormade Aeroburner 10.5* loft - R Flex: Felt really really good. Not as solid as R15, a bit softer but on good hits was a very sweet feeling (solid but soft at the same time, hard to describe). Very fun to hit. Was surprised, as I really didnt want to like this club (graphics and the v****a like slot in red turns me off). Definitely easier to hit than R15. Reviews online suggest its a very draw biased club which worries me that my mishits might turn into hooks like the Maruman. Very tempted to get this.

Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5* loft - S Flex: Same as above, def lower launching, almost hit a few stingers. S Flex took away some of the sweet feeling on the R Flex, but again cld be placebo.

Titleist 915 D2 10.5* loft - S Flex Diamana (grey shaft): Was very disappointed. Have tried the 913 D2 and loved the feel but this was a huge disappointment. Dead feeling on all hits, but didnt seem difficult to hit. Perhaps it was the shaft. I did try the 913 with a Diamana but it was a blue shaft (unsure of specific model).

Nike Vapor Speed 10.5* loft - R Flex (JV spec): tried this at Punggol driving range before. definitely more consistent than my Maruman but the shaft is also too soft. Can flex the shaft even when I gently sole the club just like my Maruman. Decent feel but the ramen like shaft is definitely too soft.

Nike Vapor Pro 9.5* - S Flex Diamana: same shaft as with the Titleist 915 above but felt way better. Didnt have too much difficulty launching it. Felt more solid than the Vapor Speed. 

Would like to try out the Cobra Fly Z series as well as Callaways drivers. 

Any suggestions on what to look out for/try? Currently really tempted to get the Taylormade Aeroburner. Had a lot of fun hitting it. Though without seeing ball flight and draw bias (based on reviews) makes me apprehensive.  

For your ref my swing speed was probably in the 80mph range before and now in the 90mph range (95ish  if i really step on it). (These numbers are based on AK eyeballing my swing, haven't got the chance to try out on a launch monitor). Am a big guy but still developing confidence before i can start swinging in the 100mph range (what AK says I cld swing at). Backswing tends to be short as I lack the flexibility.
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi,

You may want to go to Golf Concept near to Toa Payoh Range and look for Spencer as

he carries Cobra Brand and also has GC2 in his shop.

Btw, he is also a fitter.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Ah sweet. IRRC AK mentioned that as well. Totally forgot. Thanks for the headsup bro! Do we have to pay to try out the clubs with GC2?
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:26 pm

No need
Back to top Go down
DKing
Caddy
Caddy
DKing

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:37 pm

I have heard good things from users of Fly-Z.
Tried it once and quite a bomber.

I suggest that you talk to AK if you are getting a Cobra, he should be able to get you one at a good price.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:41 pm

milesandcoltrane wrote:
Am currently gaming a Maruman Exim Nano Extra Impact 10* loft SR flex driver. This driver worked well for my old swing which was slow and tended to slice the ball. However after going for a few lessons with AK at Laguna, i've learnt to swing correctly and with more confidence now am swinging faster.

AK mentioned that the shaft in this Maruman is too soft for me, and the head is also very closed. Am looking for a new driver. Seems hard to find a place with a luanch monitor to try clubs (unless one pays for a fitting).

However I've demoed the following clubs at Golf House Paragon (had GC2 there but the guy said have to pay for a fitting to use it) as well as Taylormade at Cathay. As demo was only done indoors very difficult to judge ball flight. Can only comment on feel - 

Taylormade R15 10.5* Loft - R Flex: felt really really really solid on good hits. Sound was lower pitched and loud. Feel was probably a bit too solid though as on mishits could feel the sting in my hands a bit.

Taylormade R15 10.5* Loft - S Flex: same as above. Probably felt a bit more solid than R Flex (but that could just be placebo) however on mishits could really feel the clubhead twisting (grip area literally twisted while in my hands)

Taylormade Aeroburner 10.5* loft - R Flex: Felt really really good. Not as solid as R15, a bit softer but on good hits was a very sweet feeling (solid but soft at the same time, hard to describe). Very fun to hit. Was surprised, as I really didnt want to like this club (graphics and the v****a like slot in red turns me off). Definitely easier to hit than R15. Reviews online suggest its a very draw biased club which worries me that my mishits might turn into hooks like the Maruman. Very tempted to get this.

Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5* loft - S Flex: Same as above, def lower launching, almost hit a few stingers. S Flex took away some of the sweet feeling on the R Flex, but again cld be placebo.

Titleist 915 D2 10.5* loft - S Flex Diamana (grey shaft): Was very disappointed. Have tried the 913 D2 and loved the feel but this was a huge disappointment. Dead feeling on all hits, but didnt seem difficult to hit. Perhaps it was the shaft. I did try the 913 with a Diamana but it was a blue shaft (unsure of specific model).

Nike Vapor Speed 10.5* loft - R Flex (JV spec): tried this at Punggol driving range before. definitely more consistent than my Maruman but the shaft is also too soft. Can flex the shaft even when I gently sole the club just like my Maruman. Decent feel but the ramen like shaft is definitely too soft.

Nike Vapor Pro 9.5* - S Flex Diamana: same shaft as with the Titleist 915 above but felt way better. Didnt have too much difficulty launching it. Felt more solid than the Vapor Speed. 

Any suggestions on what to look out for/try? Currently really tempted to get the Taylormade Aeroburner. Had a lot of fun hitting it. Though without seeing ball flight and draw bias (based on reviews) makes me apprehensive.  

For your ref my swing speed was probably in the 80mph range before and now in the 90mph range (95ish  if i really step on it). (These numbers are based on AK eyeballing my swing, haven't got the chance to try out on a launch monitor). Am a big guy but still developing confidence before i can start swinging in the 100mph range (what AK says I cld swing at). Backswing tends to be short as I lack the flexibility.

Bro, you haven't tried JDM.
Should go to Golf Partners or GolfSimply at FESC to pick up a JDM driver with JDM shaft e.g. Crazy, Basileus.
Once you are JDMed, you won't look at other stuff.  cheers
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:50 pm

wolverine wrote:
No need
Thanks bro.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:53 pm

DKing wrote:
I have heard good things from users of Fly-Z.
Tried it once and quite a bomber.

I suggest that you talk to AK if you are getting a Cobra, he should be able to get you one at a good price.
Yeah AK has a bag full of cobras! His Fly Z forged irons look really tempting as well. Will check with him.

Mygolfspy's review of the Fly Z drivers seem really good as well.
Back to top Go down
milesandcoltrane
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 5:56 pm

flashpacker wrote:
milesandcoltrane wrote:

Bro, you haven't tried JDM.
Should go to Golf Partners or GolfSimply at FESC to pick up a JDM driver with JDM shaft e.g. Crazy, Basileus.
Once you are JDMed, you won't look at other stuff.  cheers
Ryoma D1 anyone? Haha! tempting, however JDM price range spells a very unhappy wife. I've got enough expensive hobbies as it is. Have tried my FIL's Honma and XX10 clubs before. They felt good but not sure if worth the $$. But Tourspecgolf's pics of J-Beam etc makes me drool.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 6:06 pm

JDM rocks!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Honma irons are worth it and it's selling real cheap in Japan if you guys do travel there, else it gonna be a bomb here.
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 6:55 pm

give the Ping G30 a go at CDANS, its at the range and you can see the ball flight there.

though CDANS range balls are in a sore need of replacing.
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 7:06 pm

The current range of Callaways are very good and forgiving. I brought the 815 and 915 D3 demo drivers out on the course and the 815 outdrove the 915 by 10 metres consistently PLUS it always found the fairway.

Go drop by BFG to try, they have the Trackman to gauge your ballflight.

Hope this helps.

:-)
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2015 8:52 pm

I personally think callaway drivers drive at least 50m further than titleist drivers.
Cod I use titleist driver and pro uses callaway.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 10:18 am

Well, no matter what brand is ones club, I personally think that the club is as good as who wields it ... Even if one can afford a few thousand dollars to splurge on a JDM driver and if he/she does not have the skill to optimize it, it is a sheer waste of $$$ ... IMO, go for something that suits your swing profile whereby you could consistently hit it well ...Golf is all about consistency and repeatability ...

cheers
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Turbo wrote:
Well, no matter what brand is ones club, I personally think that the club is as good as who wields it ... Even if one can afford a few thousand dollars to splurge on a JDM driver and if he/she does not have the skill to optimize it, it is a sheer waste of $$$ ... IMO, go for something that suits your swing profile whereby you could consistently hit it well ...Golf is all about consistency and repeatability ...

cheers
Agreed 1000%  Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers   Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brief Impressions of R15, Aeroburner, 915, Vapor Speed/Pro Drivers
Page 1 of 1