Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...

Go down 
+22
dtan
Winston
eyz4eva
Ssquirrel
ChrisD
xavierong71
vinjess
icta
Kaii
TerenceDeSouza
flashpacker
kissthegreen
bkll
nutty88
neutralgolfer
smokey
18underPar
toonified
Nam Flog
lousyswinger
xredevilx
peace2903
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... Empty
PostSubject: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 pm

I am convinced. Fitting is not for everyone. You need to roughly know what you want to make sure you don't end up falling into all the marketing sweet talks! I did the mistake of thinking that the 'club fitter' will help me find a suitable specs for me. 

Few mths back, I changed my set of iron shafts after 'free fitting'. Went to range, didn't feel marked changes. Tot maybe need getting used to. I shared my experience with some kakis & realized my 'fitting' was quite different. No checking of ball impact on iron face, no trying out different brands of shafts & swing weights adjustments. When I recently tried a stock iron set & feel so much better than my 'fitted' set... I WAS convinced fitting is not for me - a seasoned beginner! Razz

Come to think of it.... I should have known but probably too distracted by the 'friendliness'. You know you are in their sales pitch when:
i) they only show and let you try particular brands;
ii) they pass you a 6i on the new specs to hit, then pass your old 7i to hit & then tell you to see the difference for yourself! Most would think they would pass you the same iron length. (So Sim Lim Sq right, cheap shot!)

Anyone got experience to share?
Back to top Go down
xredevilx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:40 pm

peace2903 wrote:
I am convinced. Fitting is not for everyone. You need to roughly know what you want to make sure you don't end up falling into all the marketing sweet talks! I did the mistake of thinking that the 'club fitter' will help me find a suitable specs for me. 

Few mths back, I changed my set of iron shafts after 'free fitting'. Went to range, didn't feel marked changes. Tot maybe need getting used to. I shared my experience with some kakis & realized my 'fitting' was quite different. No checking of ball impact on iron face, no trying out different brands of shafts & swing weights adjustments. When I recently tried a stock iron set & feel so much better than my 'fitted' set... I WAS convinced fitting is not for me - a seasoned beginner! Razz

Come to think of it.... I should have known but probably too distracted by the 'friendliness'. You know you are in their sales pitch when:
i) they only show and let you try particular brands;
ii) they pass you a 6i on the new specs to hit, then pass your old 7i to hit & then tell you to see the difference for yourself! Most would think they would pass you the same iron length. (So Sim Lim Sq right, cheap shot!)

Anyone got experience to share?

think everyone's wondering the same thing.....which fitter is this?   Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Nope, not going to say!  silent
Just my personal experience, maybe it's just me. Smile
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Sad to hear.

For awareness and benefit of fellow GRians:

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t29135-how-to-spot-an-incompetent-fitter?highlight=how+to+spot+an+incomp+fitter

study
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am

Hi peace,

yes I do share your opinion to a certain extent.

Went for "free fitting". It was good honestly. However I did not pull the trigger because, he only let me try one brand. I asked specifically to try others but he say "bro this one optimum for you". No checking of swing weight and lie angles, which I thought will be included in the fitting.

I resorted to trial and error. Buying used cheap shafts and slowly experimenting to find what I like.

Fitting is not for everybody lah. Some people look nicer in G2000 suit then a made-to-measure one. Lol.
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:18 am

Yup agreed. 

Once had a reputable fitter telling me a particular shaft was best for for me even when I only swung the club once. 

I asked, what about lie angle? (He didn't even use lie angle tapes on sole of club)
Reply was 'I use my eye can already! My eyes are trained very well one!'

Sadly as a beginner I trusted him after many reviews. 

End of the day, stock clubs played better than my new and 'fitted' clubs.
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 am

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Sad I really hope it doesn't discourage you from getting fit for golf clubs in the future though.

We've had first hand experience with the benefits of a proper fitting and it really does help one's golf game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
smokey
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:17 am

Title abit misleading. Discussion is more of bad fitting experience rather than club fitting not for everyone?
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 am

I think it is more like not being properly fitted than anything else.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

I think club fitting is good provided you go to a good fitter. I also feel that one must attain at least some level consistencies in his / her swing before getting fitted or else it will be a total waste of money. If a fitter offers specific brands of shafts or heads, then there is always the agenda of selling something whether or not it is optimum for that individual. I would typically avoid such fitters.
Back to top Go down
lousyswinger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am

Usually I thought the fitter will ask you what brand you like. Within this brand there might be range that suits. Then fit to optimise from there.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 12:20 pm

lousyswinger wrote:
Usually I thought the fitter will ask you what brand you like. Within this brand there might be range that suits. Then fit to optimise from there.

Cheers.

You probably need to know which brand you want before going to the fitter that carries that brand. At least in Singapore, fitters will not have all brands of latest drivers for you to try. Unlike what we read in US forums where they can try all the latest 2015 drivers at one location.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm

nutty88 wrote:
. I also feel that one must attain at least some level consistencies in his / her swing before getting fitted or else it will be a total waste of money. 
 Agreed.. Consistency is the word here.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Try Wizgolf one day.
Dont give up on fitting.
It helps unless your body dimensions is just what off-the-rack clubs were designed for
Back to top Go down
TerenceDeSouza
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 2:13 pm

I've been to WIZGOLF at bukit batok range. Fitter's name was Hong. I never felt that he was going to hard sell me any of their products. Each fitting session lasted about 2 hours followed by another 2 hours of optimization with the completed build.

I guess the best piece of advice would be to engage a coach to work on your swing and then head to a fitter for your new clubs.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

TerenceDeSouza wrote:
I've been to WIZGOLF at bukit batok range. Fitter's name was Hong. I never felt that he was going to hard sell me any of their products. Each fitting session lasted about 2 hours followed by another 2 hours of optimization with the completed build.

I guess the best piece of advice would be to engage a coach to work on your swing and then head to a fitter for your new clubs.

He will be darm happy seeing this!
Back to top Go down
xavierong71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi all need the senior here to advice exactly what is club fitting. 

Does it mean we bring all our iron set to club fitter and after they analze and did measurement then will alter our club shaft length for optimisation. 

Or

We have to make purchase for new shaft for all the irons from them before anything was done and measured ?

Pls enlightened.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Bring down ur full set. Do a test with Trackman etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
xavierong71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Just read something from BugFish thread ... Thanks
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:05 pm

In my early days of golf, what the pro did was to use a hammer to alter the lie angle . that's club fitting too. Now, modern and sophisticated equipment to check everything.

Good Red Indian with bad arrows or Bad Red Indian with good arrows?
Back to top Go down
icta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Its very subjective. Obviously if you have a consistent swing, fitting helps alot. For me personally, i see improvement after getting fitted for irons. But driver is another story all together.

I am never able to piece together a series of consistent swing for driver.
Back to top Go down
icta
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Oh...and i gotta say the folks at Wizgolf are a great bunch.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Thks for interesting comments! Super convinced now!! Haha...
One of my kakis uses Wizgolf & kept asking me to go there...
But sigh.....
Back to top Go down
xavierong71
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Btw whats the damage for fitting iron n driver with all exisitng equipment ???? Just the range will do
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 pm

Visit Bt Batok range basement Wizgolf. Shld be around $100?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...   Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Fitting..... Maybe not for everyone...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next