Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball too high

Go down 
+9
flashpacker
Gymrat76
Turbo
matoonia
18underPar
reallys
Nam Flog
buzz1211
Alvinlow75
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
reallys
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
reallys

Ball too high - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 12:00 pm

sent you a pm with my number, whatsapp me and I'll take a look. see if i can help
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:51 am

Hi Matoonia, from your second pic, I can tell you are not compressing the ball but flipping it with your hands instead. Ideally, your hands should be infront of the ball on impact for irons, In fact you were casting the club ... That was why you've a high trajectory ... In addition, lifting your heels upon impact is a bad habit. This will lead to thin shot. I used to notice young kids who do not have lower body strength tend to do that ... And, there was not enough weight shift on impact.

The above are my humble observation based on the pic you posted here ...

Below is the pro impact position you should try to emulate ...

Ball too high - Page 2 Impactillusionsjpg
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Thks Bro turbo, I am always struggling with casting/scooping of hands. I am trying to educate / force myself to have the hands ahead at impact. I also know that I don't shift my weight forward and turn through, hence resulting in the hands behind at impact. Old habits die hard, but now I'm focusing to make sure that weight is transferred on front foot. Once I can do this, the hands will naturally be ahead at impact. Hopefully I can be successful to turn this around
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Why not seek some professional help? There's only so much people in a forum can help and you'd probably see results faster having a trained coach look at your swing and make adjustments. Helps from developing new bad habits too
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 6:14 pm

matoonia wrote:
Thks Bro turbo, I am always struggling with casting/scooping of hands. I am trying to educate / force myself to have the hands ahead at impact. I also know that I don't shift my weight forward and turn through, hence resulting in the hands behind at impact. Old habits die hard, but now I'm focusing to make sure that weight is transferred on front foot. Once I can do this, the hands will naturally be ahead at impact. Hopefully I can be successful to turn this around
Relax your body and arms. Too tensed that you cant rotate and shift your weight, and tensed forearm may lead to eagerness to scoop the ball.

Tiptoeing may also be due to bending too low at the ball, or because you wanted to whack the ball.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Turbo wrote:
Hi Matoonia, from your second pic, I can tell you are not compressing the ball but flipping it with your hands instead. Ideally, your hands should be infront of the ball on impact for irons, In fact you were casting the club ... That was why you've a high trajectory ... In addition, lifting your heels upon impact is a bad habit. This will lead to thin shot. I used to notice young kids who do not have lower body strength tend to do that ... And, there was not enough weight shift on impact.

The above are my humble observation based on the pic you posted here ...

Below is the pro impact position you should try to emulate ...

Ball too high - Page 2 Impactillusionsjpg

Wow.. this is very nice detailed illustration. Hope can help me in keeping my wrist flat also and not flipping it. I had the same issue and irons shot ball tends to be high... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Have been to coach previously, and agree seeing a coach is the best solution. The drills can be quite boring, and after lesson over, pull out driver and whack again haha. But discussion here is also very healthy, and good for sharing. Granted will pick up some wrong ideas here and there, but nonetheless forum is for sharing and friendly exchange. 

I've been playing with casting/scooping of hands pretty much all the time, and can still break 100 with it. Have been making swing changes and i think I'm slowly getting there. But sometimes on the course will subconsciously fall back to old habits. Haha, the beauty of golf is it keeps you coming back no matter how poor you are at it.
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Watch how the pros do it better:  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 1:26 pm

matoonia wrote:
Have been to coach previously, and agree seeing a coach is the best solution. The drills can be quite boring, and after lesson over, pull out driver and whack again haha. But discussion here is also very healthy, and good for sharing. Granted will pick up some wrong ideas here and there, but nonetheless forum is for sharing and friendly exchange. 

I've been playing with casting/scooping of hands pretty much all the time, and can still break 100 with it. Have been making swing changes and i think I'm slowly getting there. But sometimes on the course will subconsciously fall back to old habits. Haha, the beauty of golf is it keeps you coming back no matter how poor you are at it.

Thats's the spirit!  Exchange of ideas to motivate us to keep playing:cheers:
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi Matoonia,

U mentioned learning to transfer weight to front foot as a key area you are working on and for me, that was crucial in improving ball striking. Key thing was how to transfer weight without thrusting your right hip toward the ball (BIG NO NO). Got awat with it on the driver, not with irons

Noticed from your pic that you are falling forward. Perhaps over doing the "keep weight at balls of your feet" tip? Every social golfer has different feel, perception and setup issues, and the above tip is normally given to guys who "sit back" on the ball and need to feel it at the balls off their feet so that they have an overall balanced weight distribution between front and back.

Tip about the weight transfer that I realised ... you move the weight toward the heel of the lead foot (left heel for a RH golfer) and the outside edge of the the lead foot, not the toes. That is the feeling that worked for me.

Have fun working things out!
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2015 4:07 pm

I guess you are naturally right hand possessive.
Very normal with right hand striker.
I reckon you start your back swing with your right hand as well.

Don't let your right hand dominate the swing. You need learn to relax your grip and let your shoulder turn without much wrist action.

My concept is always having my left hand lead my down swing; and for this to happen, I need to generate my coil tension with my left hand leading my back swing As Well....

Last edited by babolat on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 pm

babolat wrote:
I guess you are naturally right hand possessive.

Don't let your right hand dominate the swing. You need learn to relax your grip and let your shoulder turn without much wrist action.

Interesting concept... shoulder turn instead of right hand dominate the swing.. Good one bro..! I try that on my next range practice. Thanks for sharing.

I also find if you make an attempt to rotate your wrist after ball contact, it help to prevent flipping wrist which can add loft to the club making the ball balloon higher. Can be a bit strange at first but after a few practise, it can be build into the swing. Hope this tip will help someone out there.
Back to top Go down
matoonia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 10:31 am

Thks for all the feedback. Changed my swing quite a bit and had my 1st game yesterday. Felt that less flipping of the wrist, and ball was more penetrative when I got it right. For the first time in my life, I saw a divot, those that you see the pros make after a shot Embarassed  But after a few swings subconsciously will revert to old, and got to keep reminding myself. I feel that those struggling with flipping wrists 1 tell tale sign is really the absence of divots. I hardly make any divots in my game, and when I do, the divot is behind the ball with disastrous result Embarassed 

Hope I can ingrain this and pick up my game
Back to top Go down
babolat
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
babolat

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Your divots should come after your ball strike. That shows you're still striking on "downward blow" after impacting the ball. 
Do have more practice to get your consistency in the swing....most importantly, enjoy the process!Smile
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Frankly, the downswing is happening so fast and we do not really have time to analyse we are flipping or casting or ott or lag or......

Do not over analyze, keep it simple and it will be much more constant and repeatable 

For me, 2 key swing thoughts. 
1. Clear your hips on the downswing
2. Keep your head behind ball at impact

If I can do this all the time, the rest of the prob will take care of themselves. 
When in doubt, see a pro

Enjoy the game
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2015 6:10 pm

babolat wrote:
cheers I guess you are naturally right hand possessive.

My concept is always having my left hand lead my down swing; and for this to happen, I need to generate my coil tension with my left hand leading my back swing As Well....

Hello bro,

Thanks for the tip about right hand dominant... Tried it at the range. Able to get sweet contact on the irons by having left hand lead the down swing..! Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 am

Learn to feel like you are inclining the shaft on impact ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ball too high   Ball too high - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball too high
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2