Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

With the dry weather, are you scoring better?

Go down 
+2
asahi
Derek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

With the dry weather, are you scoring better? Empty
PostSubject: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Guys, not sure what the weather is like in Singapore, but over in KL, it has been generally hot (very) and dry for the last few weeks.  This has resulted in the fairways in most golf courses drying out and firming up.

For me, this has resulted in additional roll off Tee shots resulting in distance gains of 20m-35m (might also be the new lower lofted driver I am using but I think it is more the course conditions).

Thinking back to all the discussions in this forum about increased distance contributing to lower scores, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar distance gains from increased roll and whether it has translated to lower scores.  This is a great experiment because the only thing that has increased in distance, accuracy (or inaccuracy) remains the same.  So it really does answer the question of whether if you could drive it further, would you score better.

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself taking 2-3 less club in most hole.  For 1 game, playing from white, even managed to put in on the green in 2 (5w 2nd shot).  Some short par 4s became driver and partial wedge.

However, it also highlighted the shortcomings in my game, mainly my iron accuracy and my below par (relative to my handicap) short game.  e.g. From 60m out, in a relatively good lie, really no reason not to score at least a Par.  However, while I have resolved my contact issues with pitching, I seem to have developed a bad habit of shutting the club face at impact, causing a lot of pitches to go left enough the miss the green.  Distance control was better but not great as well.  Likewise, with short irons (9 and below), should be able to hit the green or around the fringe, but that wasn't really the case.

Another interesting thing ... the first 2 games in these conditions, I was hitting into bunkers and hazards that I would normally have no chance of getting into.  It was really interesting standing at the tee having hit a perfect tee shot directly where I was aiming, then see it roll and roll AND ROLL into the bunker I was aiming at.

So overall, for me, no real scoring improvement from the increased distance overall, but not to say the scoring mechanics were the same.  Long Par 4s and Par 5s played easier.  Short Par 4s not really and some additional strokes from unexpected penalties.

The added distance is something I would LOVE to have on a regular basis.  After all, I can always choose to tee off with a shorter club to stay out of trouble without trying to aim for a more narrow part of the fairway.

However, for me, the biggest contribution to lowering my scores will be improving my wedge game and short irons (on a related note, distance control on putting is something I will need to work on as well ... but not that straightfoward when playing at different courses with different green speeds all the time).

How about the rest of you?  What are your experiences and learnings from playing in the dry weather?
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:29 am

Dude, not been playing much golf nowadays.

Noted your sentiments....think many golfers will feel alike.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am

Take a break and come to KL bro ... we go play golf, chill and eat good food ... all at budget rates cos of the exchange rate ...

Think ZX waiting hungrily to makan both of us ... not to mention the original great white shark (aka Slinger) who travels up here occasionally.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 am

I have similar problems with the dry weather distance.  but my gains in distance is still restricted to a 5 wood to a 3 hybrid approach. so not much in terms of accuracy gains.  

the wedges however have been a different story. now that the fairways are dryer. I can afford to punch pitching wedges to exactly 64 meters with roll out. not kidding.  I lasered this a few times.

so no more half swing gap wedges or half hearted scared full swing  58 degree lobs. now its an all out one quarter punch pitching.....  to some happy endings.   the low approaches are straight.  predictable and check up just when I want it to, especially for red pins tight at the front of the green.

problem now is. that's one shot. I still cannot figure out the rest of the 9900 shots.   anythings besides 64meters that is..

LOL
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am

makes no difference to me.. I still play like sh......... Sad
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Difference for me, I feel, in such dry conditions would be the harder contact with the ground for chipping and pitching.

Dun like this kind of feel.....and definitely not able to get 64m accurately.

Hara - you rock!
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 pm

dry weather = club management more cautious = buggy on track..  No
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:24 pm

I suppose the dry season only have a lot of diff in Malaysia courses as most singapore courses watered their fairway and greens constantly amid during this period. Thus, probably extra 5-10 meters of roll
Have seen palm villa fairway turn brown and can get extra roll of 20-30 meters.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 pm

That's a good point ChrisD, over here, except for the really premium courses, when it has been raining, fairways are soggy and you can have ZERO roll ... sometimes the ball can even pitch backwards ... when it is dry ... complete opposite ... keeps on going and going

For me, it almost feels like a completely different golf course.

The only variable that is sort of complicating things for me is that the last 2 games, I used a Driver that I recently bought off Vinny for the first time on course.  It has really low loft, so I guess it should roll more, but I cannot believe that the club can contribute to so much roll.

Guess I need to head back to SG soon and try on courses which I am familiar with and that water the fairways more than here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: With the dry weather, are you scoring better?   With the dry weather, are you scoring better? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

With the dry weather, are you scoring better?
Page 1 of 1