Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?

Go down 
+6
Derek
chip_munkie
beehome
asahi
Turbo
Itsuki
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? Empty
PostSubject: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:08 am

Hi guys

Does anyone know the difference between shallow vs deep face fairway wood? Are they to match to different type of golfers (sweeper vs hitter)?

Also there is different type of sole design; some are more curvy like the callaway xhot but some are more boxy. What difference in this design?

Thankssssss.....
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Just like drivers, there are deep and shallow face designs FW ... Shallow face is more forgiving and designed with the centre of gravity low and behind to assist in higher launch angle ... The shallow head design helps to graze thru the turf with ease ... Deep face is better for shot shaping and better for the discerning golfers with good swing speed ...

Cheers,
Turbo

Last edited by Turbo on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:21 pm

For my own, I am quite 'scared' of shallow face FW.....keep feeling that I will clip it at the crown. 

But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Does users of shallow face Fw have issues of clipping the balls or topping?
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:02 pm

No, i don't have this issue of clipping or topping with shallow face. Whereas for deep face, i tend to hit it fat from fairwary. Find that it is only good for teeing off with.
Go try out both for yourself. Don't take me word for it as I am a high hcper. Happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Itsuki wrote:

Whether deep or shallow face, if one knows how to hit down on FW, he/she should not have any problem ...

cheers 
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:32 pm

I have seen ppl attempting driver off the deck too!!  Swing 

Now major club manufacturers comes with the usually deep face fairway wood (smaller head higher lofted low spin) for a driver replacement off the tee.. then u have ur usually low CG higher spinning friendlier off the deck ones.. See which is ur preferred style of play.. Some ppl like it off the deck more than off the tee, so its up to preference and also distance gapping.. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 pm

chip_munkie wrote:
I have seen ppl attempting driver off the deck too!!  Swing 

I've not seen any social or amateur golfer doing that but I have seen Bubba Watson did it with finesse ...  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:20 pm

A bit of a generalisation, but shallow face FW are designed to make it easier to launch the ball off the deck while deep face FW are a little easier to handle when the ball is teed up.

Which is more suitable depends a lot on how the individual golfer swings the club.  Swing speed as well as angle of attack are key considerations.

In terms of head design, at one stage, it was linked to perimeter weighting and moving the CG of the clubhead around.  However, with the newer materials and designs, the shape of the head is not that relevant any more.

Also, given that it takes a certain level of skill to be able to use a FW effectively, that sometimes means that finding the right FW might take some time (especially if your swing is also evolving, or just inconsistent).

Aside from trying your friend's FW and see which one you like to have a general idea what you should be looking for, I would strongly advise a couple of lessons to learn (or check) a consistent way to swing a FW.

I have 2 woods in my bag, a 5 wood meant to used off the deck with a shallow face design, and a 3 wood (slightly deeper face design) with a softer flex for use off the tee. Since my swing speed is relatively slow, I get more distance from my 5 wood off the deck than my 3 wood.  So I will never use my 3 wood off the deck.

The deeper face of the 3 wood helps on tee shots because bad swings do not pop up too high (as compared to the 5 wood).  If I do need to tee up with a 5W, then I will tee it very close to the ground and (in my mind) play it like striking off a perfect lie in the fairway.  As for why I tee off with the 3W ... when you can't hit straight, hitting it shorter can be a good thing.

So for me, the type of FW is based on what I need it to do.  In terms of evolution of the clubs in my bag, the 5 wood replaced a 19deg hybrid (wanted to learn how to use woods hoping that my driver swing would improve) and the 3 wood is a relatively recent addition.  Guess what I am trying to get at is that don't rush into buying an entire set of FWs.  Take your time and enjoy the process.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Let me sum up Derek post.

Shallow face for off the deck. Deeper face for off the tee.

Tio bo? My bro in looks.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 6:58 pm

hahah ... don't forget the

Go take a lesson to learn how to use FW
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
robert33

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 pm

Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

Whether deep or shallow face, if one knows how to hit down on FW, he/she should not have any problem ...

cheers 
Wow... Great info...!!! cheers 

I always tot need to sweep the ball off the deck...!!!

Bloody golf videos keep showing using broom to sweep it off the deck... affraid  scratch 

Shall give it a try soon... Kekeke afro
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:40 pm

robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

Bloody golf videos keep showing using broom to sweep it off the deck... affraid  scratch 

No need lah, bro robert u already so liao....i scare the further u go, the fairway not long enough ah
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
robert33

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 pm

enwee wrote:
robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

No need lah, bro robert u already so liao....i scare the further u go, the fairway not long enough ah
Bro enwee.... Pls dun listen to rumours and stories told by those that constantly out drives mi... Crying or Very sad 

Still trying to get consistant ball striking before i can worry bout distances... Thus nid to work on hitting down on e ball..!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:48 pm

robert33 wrote:
enwee wrote:
robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

Bro enwee.... Pls dun listen to rumours and stories told by those that constantly out drives mi... Crying or Very sad 

Still trying to get consistant ball striking before i can worry bout distances... Thus nid to work on hitting down on e ball..!
rumors Neutral Neutral Neutral Sleep Sleep Sleep scratch scratch scratch i saw pictures also, photoshop edit ? ROFL 
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
robert33

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm

enwee wrote:
robert33 wrote:
enwee wrote:
robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

rumors Neutral Neutral Neutral Sleep Sleep Sleep scratch scratch scratch i saw pictures also, photoshop edit ? ROFL 
Pictures??!!! affraid 

Hope it's with clothes on... Wahahaha Embarassed 

Back to topic...

I have a callaway 3deep fw... So can i assume it belongs to deep faced fairway wood? scratch
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 8:59 pm

robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

There are some Teaching Pros who advocate the sweeping method for FW but there are many Tour Pros advocate hitting down and take divot for FW ... Good examples are Ben Hogen, Tiger Woods, Harris English, etc. who take divot when hitting FW ... Lets watch what Harris has to say about hitting FW ...

Last edited by Turbo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To correct grammatical error)
Back to top Go down
robert33
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
robert33

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Turbo wrote:
robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

There are some Teaching Pros who advocate the sweeping method for FW but there are many Tour Pros advocate hitting down and take divot for FW ... Good examples are Ben Hogen, Tiger Woods, Harris English, etc. who take divot when hitting FW ... Lets watch what Harris has to said about hitting FW ...

From e video... Harris English mentioned tat he hits the FW like a iron shot... 

From the video... Looks like too clean a hit... But realli swing like a iron shot.. 

Seems rather compact swing like hitting irons!!!

Hmmmm.... Interesting...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 pm

robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
robert33 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Itsuki wrote:

cheers 

There are some Teaching Pros who advocate the sweeping method for FW but there are many Tour Pros advocate hitting down and take divot for FW ... Good examples are Ben Hogen, Tiger Woods, Harris English, etc. who take divot when hitting FW ... Lets watch what Harris has to said about hitting FW ...

From e video... Harris English mentioned tat he hits the FW like a iron shot... 

From the video... Looks like too clean a hit... But realli swing like a iron shot.. 

Seems rather compact swing like hitting irons!!!

Hmmmm.... Interesting...

Bro, an ideal size of a divot is no more deeper than a dollar bill ... It may not be that obvious from the video ... For hybrid, it is even more necessary to hit down like an iron to be effective ...

This one should be more obvious ...

Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks bro Turbo for the video link.. Harris English has one of the most textbook swing on tour now...

Personally i wld prefer the hit down approach as it gives me the sensation im attacking aggresively into the ball and letting the club loft do its work. But to do this effectively and consistently, does this mean we shld be using a low kick, stiff tip shaft that will help to launch the ball?

Secondly any bros out there is able to use their deep face 3wd effectively off the deck? Any tips? I just think it restrict my option to attack the green on a short par5 when i can't use my deep face 3w off the deck... But that's just me....
Back to top Go down
darthfader
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 12:06 am

good info
Back to top Go down
cjc81
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2015 1:16 am

Itsuki wrote:
Thanks bro Turbo for the video link.. Harris English has one of the most textbook swing on tour now...

Personally i wld prefer the hit down approach as it gives me the sensation im attacking aggresively into the ball and letting the club loft do its work. But to do this effectively and consistently, does this mean we shld be using a low kick, stiff tip shaft that will help to launch the ball?

Secondly any bros out there is able to use their deep face 3wd effectively off the deck? Any tips? I just think it restrict my option to attack the green on a short par5 when i can't use my deep face 3w off the deck... But that's just me....

Not sure if you consider a TM RBZ 3W as deep faced.  I use it quite a fair bit off the deck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?   Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any difference between deep and shallow face fairway?
Page 1 of 1