Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?

Go down 
+3
Technospaz
sniffydog
Elbry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? Empty
PostSubject: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 7:59 am

Hi guys,

recently think I sorta pulled the back muscle near my left shoulder blade, not sure why, maybe cause I used too much strength in my swing to hit the golf ball.

While thinking of how to prevent this from happening again and to have some light practise while I let my muscle recover, I was wondering if it is possible to just let the weight of the club,gravity and momentum from turning my hip do the work of hitting the ball with just my arms guiding the club?
Back to top Go down
sniffydog
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
sniffydog

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 am

I'm still on the bottom of the learning curve, but I would hope to master the swing that way for more consistency and prep myself for playing golf after i'm over 75 years old :>. I guess if the impact is sweet, the ball will at least fly and I can still enjoy my game..

Hey, let the muscle recover first before you start practicing again...or at most do some light half swing pitching, chipping only. why not practice putting instead?...If you have nightmares about golf during this tough recovery period...get some anti-depression pills from your friendly neighbourhood doc...he'll understand...

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 am

I think that it's a combination of all 3 factors you mentioned but the most important IMHO is momentum. If you watch the pros play, you'll see that many don't use tremendous strength. Yes, some strength is required but it's not forced. So, if you can maintain the momentum of the swing throughout the backswing, downswing and followthrough, you should be ok.

Oh... as for pulling a muscle, that happens regardless of whether you use strength or not. No one's body is perfect and injuries happen. Of course, the more force you exert, the more likely you are to pull something.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 am

I found out that my upper back & shoulder pain was the result of the club shaft hitting that area during the finish.

I have been trying to keep my hands high and making sure I turn my shoulders completely at finish.

The arms and hands should have little to do with the swing--you end up OTT or steering the club if you force it. As technospaz said, it's tempo, balance & technique that will increase your ball-striking abilities.

My coach always tells me: Keep my left arm fairly straight throughout the backswing, hold the club firm but not too tight with a correct grip, and make a full shoulder turn on the backswing. Also, keep my legs flexed and head still until just after imapct.

Once you can hit the ball solidly and fairly straight, you can try to speed up your swing through the impact zone.

The training aids and mirrors can help. Buy an impact stick, fan, even Leadbetter's training club.

I think most golf shops sell at least one or two of these items. I can execute a good full swing with a golf club --IF I DON"T HAVE TO HIT A GOLF BALL!

Once that small, white evil sphere is there menacingly staring up at me from the teeing ground, I hardly ever make a complete and forceful hit--it's mental!

I should write "wet pu**y" on the ball as somebody suggested--maybe that would reduce stress.

CK
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:19 am

clarencekim wrote:

I can execute a good full swing with a golf club --IF I DON"T HAVE TO HIT A GOLF BALL!

Once that small, white evil sphere is there menacingly staring up at me from the teeing ground, I hardly ever make a complete and forceful hit--it's mental!

CK

this is sooo true. Happens to me all the time.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:26 am

Get the ImpactStik, it helps to build the momentum and confidence in your swing. It takes away the fear of the ball so you don't choke when you see that white round thing on the ground.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:44 am

I guess we have to swing it within our capabilities. It's like trying to use a 2,000cc engine in a car meant to handle only 800cc engine. The chassis will not be able to take the force.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 am

I am begining to believe that the 'coiling of the body' and 'spine-powered' golf swing theories may increase my distance and consistency rather than me trying to just quickly 'throw' the club at the ball with clubhead lag and moving my weight laterally and kicking my right knee towards the target.

Dunno. It's a 'work in progress' experiment. The authors claim that Tiger and the pro long-drive champs use this method almost instinctively as its the body's natural way to build physical forces and speed--like pro baseball pitchers and batters.

Will report my results on the forum in a few months if successful.

CK
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am

Last week at the range, I saw a small boy about 8-10 years old max learning golf.

I was amazed to see him 'anyhow' swing the club up and without using much strength at all downswing and hit the ball pretty straight. Its really seems like he is just letting gravity and momentum do the work while his natural swing path allows him to hit the ball pretty well.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Yeah, children are natural athletes--its a result of natural evolution.

How else will such small people keep up with the adults when running or hiding from danger like saber tooth tigers tens of thousands of years ago?

We only grow stiffer and more rigid (mentally & physically) in adulthood and old age.

And worse, adults start concocting various 'proper' swing theories and methods--a sure way of making any young child (and some adults) give up golf for more fun hobbies.

CK
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm

clarencekim wrote:

And worse, adults start concocting various 'proper' swing theories and methods--a sure way of making any young child (and some adults) give up golf for more fun hobbies.

CK

then what is the correct swing?? there are so many swings out there and all say they are good. Then they also say everyone have different swings. so what is what????

To me, if u can hit the ball to where you want and consistently, that's the correct swing for you.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm

weesern wrote:
To me, if u can hit the ball to where you want and consistently, that's the correct swing for you.

I would agree, having seen some really strange but effective golf swings.
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 2:36 pm

If U R happy with your current golf scores, have not got injured becasue of a bad golf swing and enjoy your game, your swing should be satisfactory.

Personally, I am a 'tinkerer'--always trying to do something a bit better.

Perfection will never be attained but that does not mean you cannot strive for improvement.

How low do you want to go (golf scores)?
How low can you go?

-- These are related but different things.

The 'right swing' for you is the one that utilises most efficiently and effectively your unique physical attributes, skill level and reflects your confidence in executing it (ball control).

CK
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 pm

back muscle near left shoulder blade? is it a shoulder muscle group instead? coz the back muscle is one whole stretch both sides of the backbone down to the pelvis.

if shoulder, then could be just an over-extension of your left arm.

i m a firm believer in TCM/Tui Na. the good ones can help diagnose which specific muscle you are hurt, by what action and help to "tui" to accelerate the recovery.
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Last night when surfing the web i happen to saw this swing call "Stack and Tilt". Read all the theory and this evening went to range and try. The result is great. Quite consistent.
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 pm

kopiO wrote:
back muscle near left shoulder blade? is it a shoulder muscle group instead? coz the back muscle is one whole stretch both sides of the backbone down to the pelvis.

if shoulder, then could be just an over-extension of your left arm.

i m a firm believer in TCM/Tui Na. the good ones can help diagnose which specific muscle you are hurt, by what action and help to "tui" to accelerate the recovery.

hmm not really back muscle, shoulder blade muscles probably. The grp just behind my left arm pits.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 11:09 pm

maybe is ur lats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?   Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swing - Gravity, momentum or strength?
Page 1 of 1