Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buggy on track during dry spell

Go down 
+14
Denmeister
ChrisD
fatmax
hurray
jason.koh.54966
peace2903
neutralgolfer
kamen
simoner
Gofnut
chiajinhon
Nam Flog
asahi
coe16arg
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

Buggy on track during dry spell Empty
PostSubject: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:27 am

Can anyone explain the science behind the reasons why buggy on the course will damage the turf during this dry spell? Just curious to know and learn more.

Many courses in M'sia have imposed this. MBGC is also now buggy on track.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 am

I would hazard the guess of destroying the topsoil that would render growing of grass back more difficult....
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am

Very good question!  I was puzzled as well.

Any course maintenance engineer here?
Back to top Go down
chiajinhon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 am

Maybe its to protect the buggy from the hard ground haha
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 am

My guess is that the grass is already suffering great strain due to the dry spell. Buggy usage will further add to the strain and probably damage the roots / kill the grass.
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 am

Heard Sembawang also implementing buggy on track
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:49 am

I am thinking that that for those fairways that are "half-dry", I can understand Asahi's and Golfnut's point about not causing more damage. But for those totally dried out ones, I thought it wouldn't make a difference since the roots are probably all dead already.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 am

Poor grass... Sun burnt yet being rolled over.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

coe16arg wrote:
I am thinking that that for those fairways that are "half-dry", I can understand Asahi's and Golfnut's point about not causing more damage. But for those totally dried out ones, I thought it wouldn't make a difference since the roots are probably all dead already.

Some may be dried, some may not, it will be more expensive to replace all than just some.
Who can gaurantee buggy will travel only on those dried ones?
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 pm

CONSPIRACY THEORY 101: Its a scheme by the GCs to save buggy fuel and ops hours.

Dried grass is not 100% 'dead', if u water & fertilize it, they will come back to 'live'. But if you step/roll on the dried grass, they will be destroyed. And dried grass is very fragile.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Next week on, Sembawang also only buggy on track liao.
Back to top Go down
hurray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 am

It has rained ytd and most prob coming 2 days. So will it still b buggy on track?
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Of course when it rains it will still be buggy on track isn't it??? loL
Back to top Go down
ChrisD
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
ChrisD

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 pm

On Green  Swing If u find buggy on track is tough, better don't play golf.
Stay home and relax in the air-con.  geek
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:20 pm

When we get a cut on our body, the body defense mechanism in the form of platelets in our blood will go to work and eventually stop the bleeding. During the recovery phase, it is best to put a band aid over the wound so that it does not get disturbed again, this will help with the recovery process.

Likewise, when grass does not get enough water for extended periods of time, its defense mechanism, the leaf blades, will fold so that lesser water evaporates away, thus minimizing "evapo-transpiration." 

During extended dry spells, their next defensive mechanism, to stop evapo-transpiration, is to unload all evaporation channels, ie: the leaves.  That's when the leaves (aka blades) turn brown and die off.

However, as long as the roots are still in the ground, it is still in hibernation mode.  The chances of it dying is still quite slim.  It is just dehydrated, waiting for a large pint of water to make it spring to life.

During this stage, the roots should not be disturbed/stressed too much.  Stress can be in the form of divots/compaction of soil.  When buggies are still driven on top of them, roots either get pull out due to spinning tires or the soil gets compacted further.  This causes stress to them.
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 am

Denmeister wrote:
When we get a cut on our body, the body defense mechanism in the form of platelets in our blood will go to work and eventually stop the bleeding. During the recovery phase, it is best to put a band aid over the wound so that it does not get disturbed again, this will help with the recovery process.

Likewise, when grass does not get enough water for extended periods of time, its defense mechanism, the leaf blades, will fold so that lesser water evaporates away, thus minimizing "evapo-transpiration." 

During extended dry spells, their next defensive mechanism, to stop evapo-transpiration, is to unload all evaporation channels, ie: the leaves.  That's when the leaves (aka blades) turn brown and die off.

However, as long as the roots are still in the ground, it is still in hibernation mode.  The chances of it dying is still quite slim.  It is just dehydrated, waiting for a large pint of water to make it spring to life.

During this stage, the roots should not be disturbed/stressed too much.  Stress can be in the form of divots/compaction of soil.  When buggies are still driven on top of them, roots either get pull out due to spinning tires or the soil gets compacted further.  This causes stress to them.

Best explanation thus far. Thanks for the "knowledge of the day"!
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:20 am

shimizu.toruk wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

You beat me as the threadstarter to thanking Denmeister, but I will still thank him for his knowlegeable response - as what I was originally looking for.

Thanks Denmeister!
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:25 am

coe16arg wrote:
shimizu.toruk wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

You beat me as the threadstarter to thanking Denmeister, but I will still thank him for his knowlegeable response - as what I was originally looking for.

Thanks Denmeister!

Agreed n indeed best explained! study 
Think can close this thread liao. Laughing
Kamsia Denmeister mate. cheers
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 11:51 am

My pleasure folks. isn't the forum a place to share info and good lobang?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Great explanation there. Are you a botanist, bro Denmeister?  Beer 
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:27 pm

TDO wrote:
no la....

landscaper by profession
Back to top Go down
bigsplash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 pm

how long before buggy will be allowed on fairway?

it has been raining for the past few days, is it enough?

or need a prolonged period like 1mth or so of regular rainfall?
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:56 pm

Too much rain also no buggy on fairway.......
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Denmeister wrote:
TDO wrote:
no la....

landscaper by profession
It's close enough to being a botanist bro.  Beer 
Back to top Go down
bigsplash
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 3:51 pm

jason.koh.54966 wrote:
Too much rain also no buggy on fairway.......

oh yah......

if buggy on fairway, i wld prefer a walking course...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buggy on track during dry spell   Buggy on track during dry spell I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buggy on track during dry spell
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next