Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many range session to practice per week? Beginner

Go down 
+23
Nam Flog
chien
Technospaz
hkhamateur
jason.koh.54966
moodi
kenneth18
neutralgolfer
Bangla123
18underPar
haragolfer
jkgolf
mambo
angyongshen
Birdman
bellevue18
pushslice
kwannick
flog-er
yaozza07
leroyishere
enwee
Golf noob
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  Empty
PostSubject: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi bros out there, just to check with guys how much range session per week and how many balls u guys practice during your beginner stage ? 

I tried to practice everyday per session 200-300 balls but nevertheless , during the continuous 4th day all my swing start to haywire,I do not know whether isit due to fatigue as I don't feel much ache less my shoulder during backswing abit fatigue.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:19 pm

I used to do every night 100 balls....

Hmmm...maybe should do it again since changing swing again.
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Bro do u get fatigue on continuous days ?
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi golf noob. I am a beginner as well. I don't know what's recommended but I try to hit the range 2-3 times a week. 200 balls each session. I try to avoid consecutive days cause like what you say, will get a bit fatigued. But after some conditioning I guess should be fine?
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm

when i was starting up, i used to hit about 100-150 balls about 3 times a week. But at that time 30% are tops, 30% are slice, 30% hook and 10% fly 70 meter. haha!
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Mine keep slicing ... When the day consecutive 4th day, out of 100 balls 90% top and duff ...very xian than buay gum wan go buy another basket more worst low morale Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad .. Than decide to rest few days le..sigh
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 pm

leroyishere wrote:
Hi golf noob. I am a beginner as well. I don't know what's recommended but I try to hit the range 2-3 times a week. 200 balls each session. I try to avoid consecutive days cause like what you say, will get a bit fatigued. But after some conditioning I guess should be fine?

Hope so due to fatigue,maybe old already bro bones rusty liao
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Don't keep whacking driver, you'll not get tired so easily.
Back to top Go down
flog-er
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I find that sometimes practise till very frustrating, take a short break (2 weeks or more) and go back again seem to swing better

Perhaps a short time away allow me to internalize mentally what i want to achieve bi-mechanically...
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 6:08 pm

I used to range 3 times a week when I started.

All my mistakes are all ingrained liao. Now need to forget everything and start again like a noob. Sibeh sianzzz...Looks like I will need to range 5 times a week now.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Dont just whack balls till you tire or get blisters. Hit distance targets against set goals or work a certain drill. 100 balls per session is enough. How many session per week depends on your time availability, your golfing goals and stamina lor.

If i were starting out again, i would do one range and one short game session per week
Back to top Go down
bellevue18
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
bellevue18

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I start my range session with the short irons and then try to progress all the way to driver. But when I try to go back from driver to the irons, which was after like 100 or more balls, my swing gets worst than when I started. It was either top or fat. Is this fatigue or that my muscles are not ingrained yet with the swings? Also, my right thumb will get blister and it became harder to hold the club.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Your gripping it too hard..should be no blisters except maybe if you hit like 800balls a pop. 

I was taught early to hold the grip firm with the last three fingers and only little pressure on index and thumb. No blisters, only callouse at the base of my left middle and ring finger.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 6:42 pm

To add on...

A few hundred every day is not the best and most productive way to practice. More often than not, it's just mindless pounding of balls with the intent on flushing that one shot that makes up for the nine others that were topped, duffed, shanked or sliced. That's one out of every 10 shots, and you still have no idea what you did right for that one shot or how to to repeat it.

Fatigue also sets in, and that's where it really starts to hurt your practice as your muscles refuse to respond correctly and your body starts to make swing compensations. Then all you're doing is grooving a bad swing.

Let's not even mention the risk of developing golfer's elbow or some other semi permanent deep tissue injury.

If you really want to improve as Pushslice mentioned, divide your range time and decide what you want to work on, also devote equal time to some wedge work and putting. For the same time that you devote to each part of your game, you will see the fastest results from short game practice.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess quality is more important than quantity!
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Yup thanks bros out there for advise,think I need to rest awhile and go massage Wink
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

IMO, course time is equally if not more important than range time. If you got time to hit excessive number of balls at the range, i.e. 800 balls. I think it would be better to just hit a 100 at the range to warm up and head to an executive course. Better still if time permits , weekday JB course. Heard its empty and not so crowded. If situation permits can practice a bit more on the course.
On top of that can practice course management and also the different variable lies and angle you have to hit from.
Hitting too much on a range mat, with errors. can be damaging to your body/joints. Injury is no joke when you have to lay off golf for a few weeks/months. *wish someone would have told me that*  Rolling Eyes 
Just sharing my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by angyongshen on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

bellevue18 wrote:
I start my range session with the short irons and then try to progress all the way to driver. But when I try to go back from driver to the irons, which was after like 100 or more balls, my swing gets worst than when I started. It was either top or fat. Is this fatigue or that my muscles are not ingrained yet with the swings? Also, my right thumb will get blister and it became harder to hold the club.

Hi Bellevue18,

Hard to say without knowing how conditioned you are, but it is not uncommon to find that you forget how to hit your irons when you go back to them after practicing driver, since you are progressing from hitting down with short irons and longer mid-irons to hitting up with your driver, and moving back to irons again. Your muscle memory takes what it recalls from the practice with the last club (hitting up with driver) and applies it to the irons for which you are required to hit down with, and practicing next. There's a disconnect.

Instead, try and consciously recall the iron swing you had earlier practiced with. Not easy, and that takes patient practice to burn each type of specific swing feel (Driver, woods, hybrids and irons) into your long term muscle memory for instant and subconscious recall. If you can successfully do that, then you are fast on your way to simply enjoying your game with a freewheeling swing when out on the course.

As for the blisters on any part of the hand, those are signs that your hands are not securely connected to the club. Blisters occur when there is friction from movement. It's not about squeezing the club tighter to restrict movement, but more making sure there are no gaps when taking your grip and/or re-gripping the club when transitioning from backswing to downswing. Another sign of re-gripping is friction wear on the base of the golf glove adjacent to your last finger.

With a proper and secure grip, there should only be calluses on the palm side of the crease where your last two fingers connect to the left hand, and perhaps a small callus on the inside of the first joint of your right thumb.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bellevue18
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
bellevue18

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Many thanks Mr Birdman for your long and detailed message. I guess I will have to practise more to get my hardly used core and arm muscles to get the 'feel' to automatically switch from longer to shorter clubs swing. I think I will probably just hit a limited type of clubs at any one time at the range, to get the swing dynamics right, before trying to switch from short to long and then short. This may cause more problems in consistency.

I have just bought a right handed glove to help with the blisters and better grip, instead of taping them up as I have read. See if that helps.

Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

bellevue18 wrote:
Many thanks Mr Birdman for your long and detailed message. I guess I will have to practise more to get my hardly used core and arm muscles to get the 'feel' to automatically switch from longer to shorter clubs swing. I think I will probably just hit a limited type of clubs at any one time at the range, to get the swing dynamics right, before trying to switch from short to long and then short. This may cause more problems in consistency.

I have just bought a right handed glove to help with the blisters and better grip, instead of taping them up as I have read. See if that helps.

Lol Bellevue me too having blisters at my thumb but already don't feel anything already..skin cell dead.. lol! 
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

A right handed glove may help with your blisters but it doesn't solve the real problem of a bad grip, that is, less than perfect golf shots.

Try something like the training grip below. Grip it at home whenever your hands are free for an automatically perfect grip when you play or practice on the range. It's cheaply available at most golf shops and fitters that change grips.

How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  Z
Back to top Go down
bellevue18
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
bellevue18

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Golf Noob, my blisters burst so apparently my hands are not hardened enough yet..

Thanks Birdman for the grip info, will get one to try on at home.
Back to top Go down
mambo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm

For me, it's really difficult to hold my grip firm without applying more pressure, causing blister to my right thumb. The club will go 'loose' upon impact if the grip is too 'relaxed'. Could it be my hands are too small?

As I'm taking up lessons again after playing socially for years, I'll hit the range about 3 times a week. To practice what I've been taught and to keep the momentum going. Each time about 100 - 150 balls, working from PW to 5 irons, then back again with the driver in between these sets. I don't remember sweating so much before at the range.....guess it's because my down swing speed is faster compared to the previous relaxed swing.
Back to top Go down
jkgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Well said...quality over quantity. Once tired stroke and technique go haywire
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:41 am

I want to suggest no time at the range. really.  tiger learnt the game green to tee.  why do keep focus on the range.  perhaps more time on the putting green and chipping green is better for practice of good contact. and then you cam bring that swing to half swing and then full swing.  but thats just me.  whatever you do though enjoy the process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many range session to practice per week? Beginner    How many range session to practice per week? Beginner  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many range session to practice per week? Beginner
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next