Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chipping - direction and pace

Go down 
+5
Birdman
leroyishere
jkgolf
fredc
swine
9 posters
AuthorMessage
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Chipping - direction and pace Empty
PostSubject: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Dear all,
Kindly share how you aim and control the pace and distance of chipping.
Use feel? Use back swing arc?

Pls share your secrets to great chipping.
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
fredc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
fredc

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 pm

A good book to read about the short game is the one by Phil Mickelson - Secrets of the short game. It gives good info about grip, feel etc. 
That will be a good place to start
Back to top Go down
jkgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm

cool book!
Back to top Go down
leroyishere
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi guys. Just to check where can I get this in SG? Do most bookstores stock this?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm

It's easy to get online via sites like Amazon.

A word of caution though, Phil Mickelson's hinge and hold technique may not be for the average golfer. I know of many who have trouble executing it. It may require some level of understanding and proficiency with your wedges already before attempting to execute it.

The good news is that there are a few other short game gurus like Stan Utley and Dave Pelz (Mickelson's instructor by the way).

Or you can also try this book, "Golf: The Best Short Game Instruction Book Ever"

Chipping - direction and pace 61MfA9GjSwL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS100_
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

The most effective and time saving way to learn chipping is to engage a coach.

I used to be very one dimensional with my chipping, keeping it low and letting it run to the hole.  When there isn't any room to run, I would just have to bite the bullet and just chip it onto the green and try to save bogey.

Then I took lessons with the resident pro at RJCC and he showed me how to hit all sorts of shots. 

Land check release to the hole
Land check and bite
Flop high and roll 
Chip and run

The short game became fun and more effective.

If I didn't take lessons from him, the learning curve would have been much longer and I would have never thought that such shots were not that difficult to execute.

Reading different books tend to make it even more complicated as you will not know whether you are executing the instructions correctly.  

Having a coach observe your stroke is a lot more definitive.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Very true Denmeister, that's the absolute best way to learn the nuances and intricacies of the short game.... but not everyone has your dedication and the time to play 5 days a week.

Your leg colour is a dead giveaway la....   Razz 

Naked, you still look like you're wearing your golf gear. ROFL
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 pm

You should gather your troops and join us for some sunday fun at RJCC, Birdman.

As for me playing 5 times a week, 我不要的!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Lol, I think our troops not as jungle trained as you guys.... we get lost easily navigating that course.

But sure, one day soon. Been awhile since that last game.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I think practice make perfect. Practice with feel for certain distance. Practice with different irons from 5,6, or 7i to Sandwedge. Practice with the putting stroke. This will give you an idea of each iron and its roll when it lands on the green. That in my opinion would be a good start.  Smile
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 am

I was trying to self learn before I go to a coach. Haha
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Then I took lessons with the resident pro at RJCC and he showed me how to hit all sorts of shots. 

Land check release to the hole
Land check and bite
Flop high and roll 
Chip and run

Bro, your coach like GL Tan...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 3:32 am

Hi bro simoner,

Not him. 

My coach is Bernard Tiong, the short game wizard. His chipping is so good that he doesn't even put a putter in his bag!
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

Does that mean that he seldom arrives? or when he does, he just bring the ball back out to chip it in? Just curious how it works out for him.  scratch
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Old man cannot arrive in regulation, but from 100 yards in, usually chip near pin within putter length, gimme.

Powerful le!
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Wow, that's good. Sure something to work towards. I would still bring my putter though, incase flight mates no gimme.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chipping - direction and pace   Chipping - direction and pace I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chipping - direction and pace
Page 1 of 1