Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Tale of 2-nines

Go down 
+15
Kookk
mistral
astroboy888
enwee
aquaman
Itsuki
kenneth18
s-killer
hkhamateur
andrew-golf
chien
DLWL
haragolfer
jhan18
pocketace
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 2:35 pm

My past few rounds seemed to follow a disturbing pattern

One nine (usually front-nine) of good play from driver to the putter (no 3-putts), everything seems to click

Then the other nine (usually back nine), I borrow a phrase used by Rory Mcilroy - I simply unravelled. I became sloppy and everything just don't work out

May I ask if you guys experienced the same? For the better players among us, how did you overcome this? Please share. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jhan18
Playing Professional
Playing Professional
jhan18

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Try this the next time you play:
Pick 3 points in your routine that you'd like to focus on. An example would be:
1. Pick a precise target before every shot
2. Breath well
3. Commit to shot at hand 

Score your round according to how many times you religiously follow those 3 points. Try your best to focus on them regardless whether the shot is for birdie or there's water down the left.

You'll find that you'd play a more consistent round if you were to be consistent with your routine.

Just a little mental tip. Hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 pm

wow. I need this advice like years ago
. like pocketace, my rounds also seems to have different players for both nines.  going to try out justin advice next week liao.
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 4:33 pm

I personally find that it is an issue with fitness.
After improving my stamina. Able to concentrate and maintain a level of play
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 5:04 pm

TS. You need a can of beer to loosen up after the nine...

Agree with fellow Bro.  Could be due to stamina. .

Another observation is anxiety. . When one's playing well and counting scores inevitably he wants to do even better the 2nd nine to reach a certain target score he sets for himself. . Sometimes that may create certain anxiety which may result to shorter swing faster swing or even hasty shots. .

So in short. .

Just have a beer Bro...  cheers
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Eat some snacks to power up
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 7:23 pm

You re comitted to maintain the frt 9 good scores thus creatg invisible stress n pressure. 
Dun think, loosen up n just play yr game. (ie: dun pressured yrself to get a 2 or 3 on even if yr 1st shot was on a fairway, Or tryg hard to chip/pitch near near pin...) Wink
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words
Yes, I'll try everything suggested 

Funny thing is
- I've been jogging regularly of late so my physical stamina should be better than before
- Chien, I tried the beer thing too, at the recent OCBC event at tmcc, I had a can of beer at 10th hole cos I was so thirsty, it was a hot day and I downed a can of cold beer. My back nine scores undone a good front nine:drunken: 

Justin, I'll try your suggestion out too
Overall, I just need to try to stay calm and play within myself
Thanks all
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm

This is exactly what happened to me today ...Sad 

1st 9 played my best game at kranji from Blue, back 9 is like a totally different player altogether ... My flightmate dun believe what they saw also ...

Will try out the mental exercise ... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 pm

s-killer wrote:
This is exactly what happened to me today ...Sad 

1st 9 played my best game at kranji from Blue, back 9 is like a totally different player altogether ... My flightmate dun believe what they saw also ...

Will try out the mental exercise ... Thanks!
Wah SK, I'm glad that I'm not alone! Hehehe

But it's the solid front nine that keeps you coming back week after week!

This game enthrals us and frustrates us all at the same time Swing
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 pm

For me, I need a can of Redbull or Monster drink to help me focus.Take a breather then check the setup (stance/posture and grip) again. For me, I realised that I tend to grip tightly at my back 9.
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Bro,

Is it expectation? Today my 1st nine is crap but when i resigned to my fate, i managed to play better in my 2nd nine even though my driver still cannot work...

Next time, try resist the temptation to count uour score during the game no matter how good or bad.... And like what Justin suggest, on the shot on hand... One shot at a time...

Last but not least, give me more strokes...... Razz ..... If will help you relax..... Waahaahaaa.....
Back to top Go down
aquaman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aquaman

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Sometimes lost focus on front 9 and sometimes on back 9, this games just keeps us playing, await a good game for both 9s. Smile
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Sometimes it's a result of trying too hard on the back nine.
Back to top Go down
kenneth18
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kenneth18

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 1:09 am

enwee wrote:
Sometimes it's a result of trying too hard on the back nine.
Totally agreed....
Back to top Go down
astroboy888
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:07 am

Fortunately I don't have that problem, I play lousy on both nines! As my regular playing partner who is 71 years old say's " Let enjoy the walk and great weather (fortunately it's nice in New Zealand), if we play well that's a bonus! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mistral
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 7:06 am

Just relax and enjoy the game.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Fortunately i know my weakness, counting score after 1st 9 will definitely affect my score (mentally weak). So i always try to not count score.

unfortunately all my flight mates know my weakness, and they always very helpful and volunteer to tell me my score Sad
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:18 pm

s-killer wrote:
Fortunately i know my weakness, counting score after 1st 9 will definitely affect my score (mentally weak). So i always try to not count score.

unfortunately all my flight mates know my weakness, and they always very helpful and volunteer to tell me my score Sad
Now I know. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 9:47 am

Kookk wrote:
s-killer wrote:

Now I know. Thanks!
i think you are the first to announce my score after 1st 9 Sad
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

I realized that mental is the main culprit especially when you play well for first 9 then disaster for the 2nd 9. Sometimes it's just one hole after the other... one hole good, next hole bad.

If I concentrate on my swing for every shot (dun think of score), it seems to get better results. It's like one shot at a time.

However, too much waiting time will disrupt the momentum and concentration. You waited for 5-10 mins for the front flight, then behind flight starts chasing after you. It does affect my concentration on my swing, will sometimes cut short my routine and do a hasty swing. Guess my mental is weak too.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 pm

s-killer wrote:
Kookk wrote:
s-killer wrote:

Now I know. Thanks!
i think you are the first to announce my score after 1st 9 Sad
He is the mind game expert... you never noticed? What a Face
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

when the 2 nines have a gulf of results, it means not playing enough golf

so play more to have more consistent 9s

haha
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm

normally for me, 1st 9 is no eye see, 2nd 9 usually much much better....reason being 2nd 9 warm up liao

for you, I guess its pretty much mental
mental - 1st 9 good, 2nd 9 try even harder to break 80....then the more u concentrate the more it collapse, especially after a few missed short putts

Relax, its just a game
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 pm

if i may offer some of my thoughts that i employ for my games to ensure i don't blow my game

Jus sharing purpose

if i play a good front 9, say 41 or 43. will be very pressured by the time i play back 9 cos mentally will wanna maintain a low score

what i will do is i will decide which holes i will play it safe and take a bogey. 

Example, Kranji island hole par 3. i always blow there. so i will jus take a PW and hit towards the centre of the green. The most 3 putt bogey. better than double par. 

Another long par 4 if its a blue pin, will be 3 putt zone cos severe slopes if land wrong side. so i will put it short before the green and chip in. 2 putt bogey. better than going into the left and right bunkers, which r hard to recover. prevent doubles and triples

so with a game plan for different holes, and much practice, prob thats how you can minimise inconsistent front and back 9s

jus my humble sharing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Tale of 2-nines Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of 2-nines   A Tale of 2-nines I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tale of 2-nines
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next