Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?

Go down 
+6
eiji
haragolfer
TDO
Derek
chien
rapidmax
10 posters
AuthorMessage
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? Empty
PostSubject: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi all

i am new to golf and have been hitting regular steel shaft for iron and stiff graphite for driver/woods and mix of stiff and regular graphite for hybrid.

how do i know for sure which flex i should be using? where do i go? how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 10:07 pm

1 word :    FITTER

2 words:  GOLF COACH 

3 words:  NOT YOUR FRIENDS

cheers
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Lol! Spot on Chien!

Unless his friend is also a fitter or a PGA pro
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks guys. No such luck lah...

Any good fitter to recommend? How much does it cost typically?

Btw will the flex change when I grow in skill and ability? Or is it constant?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:42 pm

chien wrote:
1 word :    FITTER

2 words:  GOLF COACH 

3 words:  NOT YOUR FRIENDS

cheers
Hitting the nail right on the head.Beer 
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:51 pm

based on swing speed. feel of club you prefer ( stiffer usually harder feel) and consistency of said swing.   the choice is yours.   experiment with clubs or shorten the experiment with some sound advice. see above.  I went the experiment way. it can be argued that it is more costly time and money wise.  but hey I can say I had more fun.
especially in the bushes.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:31 am

experiment...

whatever numbers on launch monitors, how you feel, is all very personal.

I tried a shaft base on a recommendation from a good well-known golfer, have never looked back since. Didnt matter to me whether I use regular,stiff or XS, it was the result that mattered. I am using a regular driver shaft but drive it consistently, distance wise, i am not too shabby, not a long hitter, but at least i am pretty much on fairways or near it and no longer in the woods as much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 am

Personal feel and proper fitting/advice is important.

Purely by numbers, I would do better with a SR or even R shaft as stats had shown I would be able to hit it longer. However, will I be able to keep it on the fairways consistently. Thought trial and testing, it is a no. 

With a heavier shaft, I would keep my tee offs straighter but can I last for 18 holes?
Probably not.

So I am where I am at 60S after fitting and my own feel.

p.s my current driver shaft was also inspired by my Korean idol.

Razz
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks to all for sharing. Really appreciate it. It sounds like same as everything in golf, finding the right flex will also be a journey. Hopefully not a too expensive one.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

There are a lot more to just the flex of your shaft, there are also swing weight, different driver head weight, different shaft brand, etc. I would suggest you do the following;

1. Get the swing right - coach
2. Stick to a driver head, then trial with R, SR and S flex.
3. If you change driver, you may have to trial again.
4. Best is go demo when there is a new launch. You get to test without spending $$

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:59 pm

Rapidmax, how is your setup working for you now? Are you trying to optimize or trying to fix some slice or hook issue?

Looking back, going to a fitter is actually lower cost in the long run as compared trial and error. IMO, without the numbers I will always be just guessing. If the issue is with the swing or the swinger, i think you will be informed.
Back to top Go down
rapidmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks neutral golfer.

Yong Shen, there is no specific issue with my swing. I am just trying to optimize it. The question comes more from settling any equipment issue while I work on my swing. I am also concerned that the wrong equipment would affect my journey to the "natural" swing.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 pm

To optimize, IMO its better and easier when you can test and compare results of the projection of your shots. 

The reason to ask if you are hooking or slicing, usually a slice might suggest that the shaft is too soft for your swing speed and hooking will be the opposite. This is on top of all the other possible errors.
**That's my shallow understanding and just sharing, if there is any error in the information please do correct me. Cheers
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 11:40 pm

IMHO, it's not stiff or regular, it's your tempo of your swing, if u can maintain consistent tempo throughout 18 holes with same tempo with stiff then be it lor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?   Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regular? Stiff? How do you know for sure?
Page 1 of 1