Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder

Go down 
+9
shotah
jimmychoo
DGman
G_Man
Lamts18
Ssquirrel
mUAr_cHEe
who8168
JoeT
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JoeT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder Empty
PostSubject: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 am

Appreciate any feedback on the above if u've use it? I'm leading toward Sonocaddie but would like to hear from pple who has use it before if possible.
The thing that draw me to a GPS device is the ability to remember score and my ball position. Unfortunately it's not mac friendly and I'm not sure about the accuracy. ~
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 12:49 pm

I m having 2 minds currently also whether to get a GPS or rangefinder. The 1 reason that stop me from buying Sonocaddie is also no Mac support. But i've heard from 1 golfer who uses the Sonocaddie XV2 (non-color version) that it's very accurate, can go for the pin every time with confidence.

That said, i also would like advice or pros & cons on either equipment....
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 12:57 pm

for me.. GPS definate no-no. I play in off-course that has no GPS support. Find me a GPS that supports all the golf course in Guam and Saipan.

I am not sure if GPS supports distance reading for laying up.

A laser rangefinder is the way to go for me. Just point and shoot. I get the distance I want. No need to look for map, download map worry about MAC/PC support. I also believe the rangefinder is built more rugged than a GPS.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I thought this was discussed before 8)
My brief 2cents :

GPS :
Pros: Can keep track of stats.
Cons: Need maps, or need you to map out the course/objects. Not accurate when mapped objects are changed. e.g. pin position, you'll map how big the green is, roughly front of green, mid green and back of green. Then depending on pin-position of the day, you guesstimate the distance to pin.

Laser Range finder:
Pros: Can range distance on almost any object. e.g. distance to pin, distance to hazards, markers at the range, etc.
Cons: Harder to keep stats; might be time consuming if you get carried away and start to range almost any dang thing.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Sir, i have both... and i prefer the laser range finder.. The RF requires a line of sight to the object.. whereas the V300 can show you the distance to the green as well as hazards.. provided the data is well mapped.. i used both at Warren during our last game there and i find the V300 quite good accurate there but it sucks at TMCC and SICC..
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
...and start to range almost any dang thing.

"Flight mates!" "2 o'clock!!" "164metres" "Chio bu playing blue tees with wriggling butt!"

wait a min... that is S70B!!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Chio Bu at blue tees with wriggling butt..... sounds like S70B to me... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Unless you are considering the skycaddie SG series... Skycaddie maps their data course physically by their mapper at their course so its pretty accurate, but they only cover US courses and limited here in S'pore & Malaysia. Whereas the others uses satellite imaging.. I emailed Sonnocaddie about the changes at TMCC garden course, provided them the course layout and scorecard and they still can't get it right... so for me, my RF serves me well for the moment..
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Kum sia to all ur valuable inputs, really help to make up my mind. Now to find the right rangefinder with all the killer specs & features - water resistant, elevation friendly, value for money (ai pi ai ci)...... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Bushnell is a good choice... 2 versions with slope and without, compact and normal size. With slope is not legal for tournament play though... BFG at Bukit Merah sell the Bushnells....
Back to top Go down
JoeT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Finally i've got the sonocaddie. Tried the range finder but find it pretty heavy and not convenient to use on every hole for me. As a noob, the scorecard function help me analyze area which i'm weak at... eg, putting or <100m distance?
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm

I personally prefer the GPS as well. While I dont play in really exotic places like Guam... I do travel a bit for golf. and the GPS works out well. Uploding maps is kind of fun actually. And when you get to the course, just have to remember to clip it on and you are set to go..
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
Bushnell is a good choice... 2 versions with slope and without, compact and normal size. With slope is not legal for tournament play though... BFG at Bukit Merah sell the Bushnells....

Wonder if there is a big difference in yardage if there is elevation & i m measuring with a rangefinder without slope function?

Don't know if Eric will let me take a Bushnell out to try before buying? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 pm

who8168 wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:

Wonder if there is a big difference in yardage if there is elevation & i m measuring with a rangefinder without slope function?

Don't know if Eric will let me take a Bushnell out to try before buying? Laughing

Of course there is a difference in yardages.. depending on the degree of elevation it could plus minus 2 clubs difference.. that why for tournament play its not legal, but for us normal folks, its ok...

I was at BFG and i didn't see the RF in the showcase.. maybe it out on trial ... Pls call Eric on Sat to find out more.. cheers.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:13 pm

i think ivan sold it liao...

as for RF, its my choice cos i can stand on teebox and find out exactly how far is the bunker and can carry or lay up with a lot more confidence.

at the last game at bintan, even the best caddy got it wrong by more than 5 metres on several occasion.

for par 3, one will get a few more birds just by taking out the question of actual distance from your thinking process.

DGman

p/s although i sell the busnell, i get mine from the singapore distributor so the price is a lot more then the internet or amazon. so do your sums, weigh the pros and cons before you decide. thanks....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Buying from internet and or Amazon has its perils.. let the buyer beware... caveat emptor .. i rather buy from authorized dealer who gives me backup and service if and when required. cheers. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 8:10 am

I have been using the sonocaddie XV2 for quite sometime and I really enjoy it. It does help me shave off few strokes when going to a new course (when there is GPS data). I think it has all the course data for Singapore. And I think it is very easy to map the course yourself too Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 8:34 am

jimmychoo....maybe you can share those you map yourself to the users here....

but of course we have to pay you for every use...how does the slevee of a prov 1 sounds to you.

DGman
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 8:56 am

DGman wrote:

but of course we have to pay you for every use...how does the slevee of a prov 1 sounds to you.

DGman
DG_man, this offer sound "Shiok" to me Hooray but if Sonocaddie can sponsor me green fee to map the course, I will be more happy to do it - Just joking lah Razz I will share with anyone who want my mapping. I think I have upload some to the website liao I HIT IT although map it more to my liking tongue
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 am

jimmychoo wrote:
DGman wrote:

DGman
DG_man, this offer sound "Shiok" to me Hooray but if Sonocaddie can sponsor me green fee to map the course, I will be more happy to do it - Just joking lah Razz I will share with anyone who want my mapping. I think I have upload some to the website liao I HIT IT although map it more to my liking tongue

SO I guess you map it to your Buaya Approach? Guys beware cos JC may be giving the Tiger Line Mapping... Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 am

you better read my offer properly JC....

no wonder G_man has problem in our last outing....constantly hitting short into the water.

DGman
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 am

Ok. I have succumed!

Where can I get i bushnell rangefinder? DG: you have?
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 am

BFG has it but i do not know which model they have. U can go down and try it.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:28 am

You should check out the Leupold GX-II... many many bells and whistles!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 11:28 am

Actually, the rangefinder did help in my game during the Ikasu vs Proto.... DGman" SHotah, 96m from pin, play to 91m ok liao." that why i managed to hit below 90.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder   SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SonoCaddie V300 or Laser Rangefinder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next