Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weight of Steel Shaft

Go down 
+2
pushslice
cactuzone
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Weight of Steel Shaft Empty
PostSubject: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 6:30 pm

My first set of clubs were custom fitted from shop in Laguna Range almost 10 years ago. Graphite shaft and served me well.
Recently, switch to Steel Shaft - TM Burner (used) and experienced aching, initially to the back, now last 2 fingers of both hands and the shoulder (even after going to range). Prompt me to ask fellow GRs if there is weight disparity in different models of Steel Shaft like NSPRO 950, 850 and 750 or the other brands. If so I would like to change to lighter Shaft. Pardon my knowledge on equipment specs as I only recently up a gear from a game in a month/2 months to now a game a week player.     

Dear GRs, your imparting knowledge is very much appreciated, thanks.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 12:05 am

Steel shafts can go fr 95gr to 130gr. Some models like True Temper M80 are lighter.

If you're using nspro, that's one of the friendliest steel shaft already. Others are harsher or heavier. It could also be due to your body not used to heavier golf regime. I recommend stretches and warm up and improve flexibility. Just google the exercises, I think golf.about.com got examples. Titleist MyTPI is also a good resource for golf fitness. If pain persists, you might want to check your swing with a coach. 

as to light shaft recommendation: try TT M80 or Aerotech Steelfiber i80. BFG bukit merah (DGman) stocks these. Also checks the size of your iron grips, it could too big. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 1:46 am

Avoid aches and pains at all costs ... stick to graphite ... try Steelfiber
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 8:43 am

The lower the number on the NSPro, the lighter the weight. I don't know enough to comment about the flex profile but I would assume they are different, i.e, R flex on 950 will be stiffer than R on 850. 

If you are now starting to play more, it would be a good time to see a fitter to get a rough idea of what type of shafts (in general) suit your current swing
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 8:44 am

Bro it might not be the shafts problem, can you tell us when u experience this aches after range or after golf game?

It might be a grip pressure issue, gripping too hard causes tension in your
hands and muscles in the shoulder.Esp if u hit the range for 100 or more balls.
 Check your grip pressure if its too strong, your last two fingers of both hands should be along for the ride, not exerting much force.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Actually Sob, the grip pressure is in the last three fingers of the left hand and middle two fingers of the right hand. If anything, it's the index fingers of the left and right hand as well as the right pinkie that go along for the ride.

If the last two fingers of both hands are only along for the ride, The weight of the club will cause the grip to loosen during the transition from backswing to downswing, evidenced by increased wear of the glove in the palm area adjacent to the left pinkie. The fault is known as re-gripping.

Last edited by Birdman on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Cactuzone, apart from equipment issues, you might want to see if you are pounding too many balls at the range. That's a major cause of aches and pains in the back and joints.

You might want to re-look your range schedule and how many balls you go through each time.

I'm just guessing here though.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Bros,

many thanks for your kind advise and apologies for slow reply.

Birdman, I guess it's over exertion at the range. Aches mostly at the hands especially last 3 fingers on the left. Probably coming from my strong gripping and there's no joint ache.

I always have a habit of warming-up and stretching before any sports even at the range, (just to share) this habit was inculcated in my younger sporting active days.

Bros, will changing the shaft affect the club as a whole?

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

To me, changing the shaft completely changes the feel of a club and probably makes more of a difference than changing the head ... especially if the change is weight related
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Ya, it's weight related as I am thinking of changing to lighter steel shaft as bros mentioned in earlier post.

In that case, will have to change the entire set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight of Steel Shaft   Weight of Steel Shaft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight of Steel Shaft
Page 1 of 1