Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf in Primary School

Go down 
+13
Peterinjb
coe16arg
Ngn52
vinujune3
sim.t.lim
dexter06
Flash
poresia
Jliang
Artloh
hillgreen
MLP
zhikang
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Primary School Empty
PostSubject: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 pm

Wah Naval Base Primary has a golf programme!

Back to top Go down
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MLP

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 pm

but where are the results
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Must applaud them for the great efforts the school puts in..   
They have programs to train thier pupils and had more teachers involved i it.

Most schools will juz treat it as a normal cca and if you know the usual and normal program.. 

They are also the organising school for the recent tiger.cubs competition which  the inter pri school golf tournament..

Now they even has a video on their golf program... actually i am impressed !
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Credit must be given to Mrs Ong Lu See the principal and Mrs Amy Jow the teacher in charge who took the unconventional route to introduce Golf as a CCA in Naval base Pri School. Most schools won't even attempt to go near golf and those that try do it on a half bake effort.

As for mini talents that they have and are still nurturing includes kids like the the Jin siblings, Jing Wen, Kunakorn, Megan and the list goes on.

They may not have produce a top notch player yet, i believe they are on the right track. And by introducing the game of golf to these Pri school kids, it's inculcating certain values In them that no amount of school work can. This to me IMOH is more important than churning out medal winners.
Back to top Go down
zhikang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 pm

very impressed with some of the kids' swings also!
Back to top Go down
MLP
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MLP

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:59 am

The real winners are those who go the extra mile over the school golf curriculum. Coming from the HSBC Youth Golf Program, I think that it didn't help much at all. An hour each week, sharing 3 coaches with over 16 guys. The only real takeaway was the weekly game at Laguna. Without a strong base, such programs don't help at all. I've seen newbies who came to golf from sec 1 till 4. Those who relied on the cocking during the weekly team training still can't hit the ball straight. But the others who could afford to spend the money and hire the coach 1-1 are now very very good. A couple single digits.
Back to top Go down
Jliang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 am

From the video, you can see that they have their own swing cages and practise areas in the school itself.. For the pupils that are motivated, at the very least, the facilities are there for them to hone their skills. Whether or not the child succeeds or not, really depends how passionate the child is for the game. =)
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 pm

i saw this video during Monday's tiger cubs Tournament where my son took part.I find that the video beside showing how committed Naval Base Pri School is to golf development, it is also very inspiring n motivational to adults golfers like me especially it says " looks really simple, doesn't it?"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm

A good start for development in primary school level, a platform for the young kids to explore to golf. How far a child can go thus depend on oneself, but a primary school with the right environment to enrich them is essential. 

It will be a good consideration when my child is enrolling for primary school Smile
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Everything said, very much still depends on the parents. Kids who trains 8hrs a week will generally be better than those who only attend 1hr lesson a week. So although Naval base has a golf program, don't expect them to turn your kids into the next tiger woods. They lay the foundation and the rest is up to the parents to nurture.
Back to top Go down
dexter06
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dexter06

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

NYPS has golf as CCA too...
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Many Pri schools have golf as a CCA but non on a scale like Naval base Pri.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Artloh wrote:
Many Pri schools have golf as a CCA but non on a scale like Naval base Pri.

That is very true....

Ha, I had seen it with my own eyes.....think even their principal is also committed to this CCA....
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 3:51 pm

They even send their golfers to participate in overseas tournaments. I'm not talking about one or two. It's more like 10-20. Despite knowing that the odds are stacked against them to bring back even one medal. The exposure and experience gain is worth more that a medal. 

If only SNOC and Sports Council thinks this way, instead of only sending athletes who they think have a good chance if bring home a medal. Like sending 12 Fencers to Asian youth games and Zero golfers.
Back to top Go down
sim.t.lim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
sim.t.lim

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:49 pm

Good effort!!!.. where is this school huh?? Maybe can plan for my child to enroll in the school... Then I got official excuse to bring my kids for games...
Back to top Go down
vinujune3
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm

NYPS have
Back to top Go down
Ngn52
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 pm

My daughter was from Neval Base Pri Sch, and she transfer to NBPS during Primary 3 half term, it suppose to be a perfect idea to develop young kid who's keen and talent in golf. But lately I'm really disappointed with the teacher in-charge during Inter-Primary School. My daughter was having swing problem and trying to keep up for the past few months (Since May), her game affected due to her swing suddenly cannot play as what she suppose to score, her coach Mark is helping her to fix it (Now she's getting improved). During Inter-school Golf tournament, I want her to rest and skip playing but she insisted to play for the school. Her score came back 102.. Worse case is few of her golf friend came to her and inform her that, the golf teacher in-charge is angry with her??? She cry and feel sad for the next 3-4 days because the word from her teacher is really hurting!! I recall when they want her to join the school, they kept telling her all the good thing and during training or tournament, the teacher will comfort all to be relax and try to enjoy the game, and I don't think my daughter is enjoying..Till today, she still feel very hurt with the comment made by the school teacher in-charge! The teacher also inform her that all golf student will travel to Sabah except her!
Back to top Go down
Jliang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 am

Not for me to judge.. and one might say that P3 is still young. Personally, I think this is a very good chance to teach the girl how to dig deep and really believe in herself. Ultimately, if one look at this positively, this is a chance to prove the teacher wrong and make her eat her own words.

It is from situations like these that we humans learn more about ourselves and what we are really capable of.. Be resilient and never give up. Golf is never easy.
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Heard that the school imports talented junior golfers from china even. Is primary school golf that competitive?
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Anyone can share which other primary schools have golf programs or CCAs (other than Naval base) and what exactly do they do there?

Current Primary registration hysteria got be a bit stressed for our turn next year. Looks like Temasek primary, our first choice (closest < 1km) still need to ballot. Have to think of plan B just in case.

My daughter 5yrs is learning golf (beginner) now and I hope she can continue to enjoy golf when she enters primary one in 2015. So far, I have shortlisted SACP and TKP who have golf CCA in the East area (I stay in Bedok).

Not sure if she will be too advanced (should have achieved intermediate by 2014) for them by then and probably better to continue outside classes.

Any kind advice?
Back to top Go down
edtv75
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Ecca or cca?

Cca are usually free but ecca are those that additional fee has to be paid...
Back to top Go down
Peterinjb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am

Was looking thru MOE SIS page, listed 14 primary schools with golf related CCA(or ECCA). Saw that ACS even have Phil Brew golf, TKPS have modular golf. Does not say much beyond that.

Anyone have first hand knowledge? eg actual kids taking them as CCA?
(Other than Naval base which have been actively discussed earlier.)

Are there any inter-school competitions?
Back to top Go down
Tiramisu
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tiramisu

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Wow Peterinjb, you really doing your homework pretty well!! There is inter primary schiol golf tournament both pc and hc categories. Actually usually CCA is more for secondary school choosing as yr child can apply DSA to those sec schools which have a niche for these CCA. But its not easy task no matter what, yr child must train hard to represent their sch for competitions. All depend in yr child's interest too!
Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Actually a lot depends on the parents and what are you after. Bear in mind that CCA in schools will at most allow your kid to learn the basic and probably get a PC. 

I've 3 kids that play golf and from my experience, they have benefitted from it when it comes to choosing the school you want. Then again there are also lots of sacrifice too. Just an example of my eldest who's a competitive golfer, she takes 10 weeks off school a year to compete. That means extra tuition $$ and she has very little social life as she trains 4-5 days a week. Golfing expenses for her is easily $10k a yr. 

Do some research on the top 10 kids in Pri and sec sch. You'd be surprise that most of these kids do not come from schools with Golf CCA.
Back to top Go down
dannygoh
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dannygoh

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm

I can attest to what Artloh is writing about, my eldest wanted to play competitive golf after 2 rounds of nationals..... Didn't know what I was getting into until it was too late........ Should have done my homework, however, it all culminated into a desired outcome when she got into her choice of school thru DSA.

My son now wants to play competitive golf after this year tiger cubs ..... Which I reply only if I got the $$$$ then we will think about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf in Primary School   Golf in Primary School I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf in Primary School
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next