Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Percentage of time going to range vs course

Go down 
+12
simon1982
Derek
iuh
Cyp_PGA
timang84
Turbo
Technospaz
kamen
divotee
odyssey23
jurongtiger
snagy23
16 posters

How much time you spend on range vs golf course
Low handicap:- more time on range than course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap4%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Low handicap:- more time on course than range
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap4%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Low handicap:- equal time on range and course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap1%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Mid handicap:- more time on range than course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap10%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
Mid handicap:- more time on course than range
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap19%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 19% [ 13 ]
Mid handicap:- equal time on range and course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap3%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
High handicap:- more time on range than course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap43%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 29 ]
High handicap:- more time on course than range
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap12%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 8 ]
High handicap:- equal time on range and course
Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_lcap3%Percentage of time going to range vs course I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 68

AuthorMessage
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

Percentage of time going to range vs course Empty
PostSubject: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 2:45 am

Hi all,

Was thinking to do a simple poll to see how much time do different handicap group spent its time going to range vs golf course.
Appreciate all feedback, the questions came about when i was discussing with some friends after golf, that some lower handicappers do not visit range has much and prefer to spend more time on tee.
Therefore, wish to do a poll to see if there are any truth to it.
Appreciate all your feedback!

Cheers!

Just to clarified, time which i meant here is more like each time you hit either range or golf course. not actually the duration of time spent on range or golf course.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 3:33 am

Might want to define high-mid-low handicap.

For me, as a high handicapper, i play about 50 games a year and visit the range exclusively probably 5 times a year. But before games I do spend 45min at the practice facility, if that counts.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 am

Think for high handicapper like me, the swing is not consistent enough. The other factor is we cant effort alot of time on the course because of time and amount of leave is limited. So the best place to cure the itch is at range after work.
Back to top Go down
divotee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
divotee

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 am

I don't think you can compare time hitting the golf ball on the course and time hitting the ball at the range. A round of 90 would equate to less than 5 minutes hitting time. To me I think that going to the range is important to ingrain swing mechanics and develop muscle memory to achieve consistency. That being said, hitting of the turf is different from hitting off the mat at the range. On some courses, you will never see yourself hitting consecutively from a flat lie. On course experience on that note, is important for us to lower our score. Ultimately, for us social golfers, I think that what is important is that we know our physical, time and financial constraints so that we can enjoy the game longer and not worry about injuries, our boss chasing us, or the loanshark knocking on our door.
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:47 am

Wonder what the industry's base ratio of high, mid and low is?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am

I did try to search without much success.
I guess depending on how you wish to define it.
some will say low handicappers 0~14, Mid 15~24, high 25 and above.
So high handicappers maybe those trying to break 100 consistently.
Maybe you guys wana chip in of your opinion?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:59 am

I fall into the high handicap category who spends hardly any time at the range. In fact, I dare say that I've only been to the range no more than 5 times in the last 12 months. But I play on the course as often as I can, sometimes 3-4 times a month Smile
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 pm

snagy23 wrote:
I did try to search without much success.
I guess depending on how you wish to define it.
some will say low handicappers 0~14, Mid 15~24, high 25 and above.
So high handicappers maybe those trying to break 100 consistently.
Maybe you guys wana chip in of your opinion?
Cheers!

I think below 13 is considered low handicapper, 14-18 is mid handicapper and 19 -24 is high handicapper ... Anything above 24 is considered beginner and not registered as handicapper. Thats why many bona fide clubs (especially in Sg) set a minumum of 24 to play especially on weekend and only handicapper of 18 and below can tee off at blue tee box ...
Back to top Go down
timang84
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
timang84

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 12:23 pm

im a high handicapper and I've been spending alot of time at the range and my swing has improved.

Started off with 7i - 120m (slicing 80% of the time). As of last week, 7i goes 140 (mostly straight and slices are reduced to 30%). Now it's time to bring it out to course more often.

Last edited by timang84 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm a single handicap (3.6) .i spend more time on the range than on the course . i want to master the piece of the swing I'm trying to reproduce . although i wont spend more than 40% of my time spending on my long game . i'll spend a lot of time control my yardage with pitching as well chipping , bunker and putting . But i still have 3 round a week .

Although close to a tournament week i'll spend every day on the golf course and every afternoon on finding tuning for my game .No matter the handicap , i think the best way to improve is by analyzing your statistic and know which part of your game fail you even it's social game to betting game. so you can work on at the range and give feedback to your coach .
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I am a beginner. I spent lotsa time on the range. At least 2 to 3 times a week at the range..

I can hit mostly everything right at the range. . Straight..

I can hit mostly everything wrong..on the course.. anything but straight.

Should have more range and more course time!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 pm

For high handicappers, as much as I see value in going to the range, remember that while practice makes perfect, it also makes permanent. So, if you're doing something wrong enough times over and over again, it'll be difficult to undo it later.
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Technospaz wrote:
For high handicappers, as much as I see value in going to the range, remember that while practice makes perfect, it also makes permanent. So, if you're doing something wrong enough times over and over again, it'll be difficult to undo it later.

Yes.. definitely..thats why its impt like what many advised..have a coach to see whats wrong..

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you all for your contribution.
Appreciate other grians to give your take.
i think we can already see most do more range than on course.
not any different from each type of handicap category.
Interesting.
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:
I'm a single handicap (3.6) .i spend more time on the range than on the course . i want to master the piece of the swing I'm trying to reproduce . although i wont spend more than 40% of my time spending on my long game . i'll spend a lot of time control my yardage with pitching as well chipping , bunker and putting . But i still have 3 round a week .

Although close to a tournament week i'll spend every day on the golf course and every afternoon on finding tuning for my game .No matter the handicap , i think the best way to improve is by analyzing your statistic and know which part of your game fail you even it's social game to betting game. so you can work on at the range and give feedback to your coach .

Thank you Cyp_PGA for your contribution, it is inspiring to know how low handicappers do their practice.
Thank you for sharing!

Smile
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 2:31 pm

For me, because I do not have much talent for this game, having sufficient time to practice translates into lower scores on the green.

I am scoring about 5-8 strokes less since my wife went back to Thailand for an extended holiday and I am able to practice 3-4 times a week. Back to mid-high 80s with a few absolute blow up holes, i.e. triple/quadruple bogey or worse ... could be better but I'm not complaining ...

Although my handicap is not as low as Cyp_PGA, I also find more benefit if my practice time includes chipping, pitching, putting and bunker play.

When I was playing and scoring well, I would take the time to go to a quiet exec course (or full size course in JB) on a weekday at an unpopular timing a 1-Ball and treat the course like my personal practice green and (grass) driving range. Also, I would normally play without using a tee to get as comfortable with striking balls off the deck as I could. With no one around, I could practice different clubs into the green, pitching and chipping from all over the place, both fairway and greenside bunker shots ... etc etc

All this meant when it was time to compete against my friends, I was relaxed and confident, which translated into better scores ...

However, if I understand the gist of your question, I do feel there is a limit to how much you can improve by just hitting off range mats on perfectly flat surfaces ... at some point you need to spend time hitting balls off grass ...

Back to top Go down
simon1982
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
simon1982

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 3:29 pm

I am a newbie high handicapper.

I spend more time on range than on course but I rather the other way round.
Why? Hitting on course is more fun with the thrill. But golfing at course is really time consuming + if rain that day is... affraid

Unfortunately, work, OC and child commitment really makes it hard to go down course
so can only be what my uncle said "Range Pro" but go course can't hit..
Back to top Go down
Swerve
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Funny way of looking at the results here could also be read as "BUAYA ALERT - TOO MANY HIGH HANDICAPPERS DECLARED!!!!!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Swerve wrote:
Funny way of looking at the results here could also be read as "BUAYA ALERT - TOO MANY HIGH HANDICAPPERS DECLARED!!!!!" Very Happy

Which box did you tick? Wink
Back to top Go down
Swerve
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Swerve wrote:

Which box did you tick? Wink

The only truthful one which showcases my uber skills that has yet to allow me to break 100 Sad
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I would believe all have been truthful.
Since we wouldnt know which forumer choose which option, so everyone will be truthful regardless.
Isnt golf a gentlemen's game?
Also an honest one i bet!
Again can't thank all bros and sistas who have contributed to the finding.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 am

I am getting lazier to go range and my last visit was 2+ months back. Strangely enough, my ball striking seems to improve and so is my score. hmm.... should I give up range completely?
Back to top Go down
eggyolk
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
eggyolk

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 am

nutty88 wrote:
I am getting lazier to go range and my last visit was 2+ months back. Strangely enough, my ball striking seems to improve and so is my score. hmm.... should I give up range completely?

U have talent. bounce
Back to top Go down
element17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 12:39 am

i think the purpose of going to the range is different to on course and cannot be measured on a equal scale. i would practice on correcting my swings and hitting with some clubs i feel that i'm weaker with. as compared to going course, one would have to pay more attention on areas like course management, hitting with undulating lies, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Percentage of time going to range vs course   Percentage of time going to range vs course I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Percentage of time going to range vs course
Page 1 of 1